Playmobil Dilemma

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
The track-powered sets were discontinued in 1994 and the R/C sets appeared in 1997. In between these two dates, Playmobil produced an item 7559 which was a Direct Service item and consisted of a pack of five weighted couplings with instructions on how to remove the original sprung couplings from rolling stock alter the original coupling mounting to take the new weighted couplings. I have an instruction leaflet with a copyright date of 1995 and a version date of 02 96. However, by 1998, 7559 had been replaced by 7560 consisting of a pack of two weighted coupling hooks, although I imagine that 1995 instructions were still used with them.

So what I'm leading up to is that the change to weighted coupling hooks came with the rolling stock for the new R/C range, but that the new weighted coupling hooks were available before then from Direct Service from 1995 or 1996 for replacing the sprung couplings on the track-powered rolling stock. Certainly, in the 1991 trains catalogue, three years before the track-powered trains were discontinued, item 7554, two spare couplings, are still the old sprung type. The number of coupling hooks in the original Direct Service pack (five) probably reflects the fact that the track-powered locos were designed to pull four items of rolling stock (for the locos with a powered tender, this was increased to eight pieces) and five hooks would allow you to have a train with one piece of rolling stock having a hook at each end. This meant that wherever the piece of rolling stock with two hooks was place, it meant that the last item of rolling stock would have a coupling hook available for a loco to run round and couple up for a return journey bunker or tender first.

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thanks Gordon.

So in essence a Steaming Mary set could possibly have weighted hooks, but an original UPRR set would not!i

Great research by the way. Much appreciated!

Thank you!

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thank you, James.

As for the 4034 set, the data on PlaymoDB shows the sprung type coupler. Playmobil Collector doesn't help because the photos are too small and although it shows a version 2 of the 4034 running from 1992 to 1996, this refers to a second version of the box design. The same applies to the 4032 and 4033 sets. Would Playmobil have changed the bogie design and coupling hook late on in these runs (both go on to 1996 and the UK version, 4032 to 1997), or would they just have used up the old sprung couplers rather than introducing the new version in the last year or so of the run? But why the extra packs of weighted couplers in 1996?

Maybe Walter knows and will provide answers.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thanks Again Gordon,

You are probably right and it would not be a deliberate change, but more a case of switching to the parts then available on the production line. Given that the last SM set was available around 1995, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that it came with weighted hooks. That said I have never seen one with them, (other than the one now on e-bay) and my guess is that the vendor has done what I have done too on many occasions when rebuilding something that once had sprung couplings - Swapped the bogies over to the modern type (still available from Playmobil direct and fitted weighted hooks).

That said spare sprung hooks may be rare but they do turn up on e-bay and I think that people just don't like paying the premium asked for them. However in my view an otherwise perfect 3598 set 'demands' them rather than a later substute, but maybe I am just odd?

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
You don't need to swap the bogies to use weighted hooks, you can just trim off the "pimples" which hold the sprung end in place and fit the weighted hooks straight on. With changing bogies, there's always the chance of damaging the clips that hold the bogies on.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Gordon,

Agreed, but i bet that these are swapped! (I see the UPRR set has been withdrawn, seemingly unsold?) Still if I win the coach, I will let you know!

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Gordon,

Agreed, but i bet that these are swapped! (I see the UPRR set has been withdrawn, seemingly unsold?) Still if I win the coach, I will let you know!
Hope you win this time! (That doesn't mean that I was hoping you wouldn't win last time!)

It would be nice to know. If you win it, will you ask him?

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Thank you Gordon to share your knowledge about the PM couplings, very interesting for me

In looking the transactions made by this seller,
we can see he used to buy some spare parts to specialized Ebay shops
that you know, like Playmoking for instance
He might replace the axle of UPRR ?
We cross fingers for James

Kurt Ubl

Kurt Ubl

KURT
3 Mar 2017
Tenerife ES
May be I am wrong in this thread but look at the pictures what you can do with Playmobil sometimes it`s not a toy for children but a nice starting point for an unusual kind of power that is otherwise very expensive to get.
Kurt from Tenerife

Attachments

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Kurt,

Those are amazing images. Hard to beleive that was once a Steaming Mary! I really like the use of the extra wheelsets to make it look like a bogie tender!

Nice work!

On a different note the UPRR set that was unsold from our man is back on e-bay at a cool £335 if anyone fancies it?

I would also really like to thanks Xavier and Gordon for the encouragement and support!

James

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Always keen to encourage people ot spend their money on Playmobil, especially the older stuff.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Agreed Gordon,

The other thing (related to the issue of the modern couplings) that is worth considering at this time is that the most recent designs of couplings are a whole lot better and more effective than the earliest types.

The plug in couplings for the locos are totally compatible with all the earlier locos and the coach coupling bars are deeper and a better shape than the early ones.

At present both loco and stock couplings are still available from Playmobil direct (whilst stocks last) and if you run PM you will appreciate how much better and more effective the loco couplings are. I have changed all my loco couplings over and some of my rolling stock has gained new bogies and weighted hooks like the UPRR and other items from Edinburgh.

The only downside of the switch to weighted hooks is that they tend not to stay facing forwards and can loll around from side to side, although this is really only an issue if you shunt.

James

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Registered
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Sadly for you James it's already at £90 and over a day to go. At this rate it's going to fetch more than the bagged version. Some people (apart from you of course) must really want this wagon. :-(

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Sadly for you James it's already at £90 and over a day to go. At this rate it's going to fetch more than the bagged version. Some people (apart from you of course) must really want this wagon. :-(
Thanks Dave,

Irony indeed if it does!

I would have tried, but it may already be too late.....

I had two of mine running today in Leicester. Sure I want it, but not at any cost.....

Some time ago I started a thread about the crazy pries that those UPRR sets go for on e-bay. Nothing has changed!

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I have just seen a peek into the wagon box of a collector on another site and in it, in sealed boxes are a 4118 graffiti coach, a 4120 PRR coach.a 4121 cattle truck and a 4122 goods van, plus a 3766 water tower

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
I have just seen a peek into the wagon box of a collector on another site and in it, in sealed boxes are a 4118 graffiti coach, a 4120 PRR coach.a 4121 cattle truck and a 4122 goods van, plus a 3766 water tower
Gordon,

I am like you, I can't see the point of that, but each to thier own...

Well that unboxed UPRR has just sold for €119.34, which is just over £106.....

I would still like a fifth one, well a bit, but certainly not at that price. I have 34 x 2 axle PM coaches and five bogie ones. Five car rakes of each type, with four UPPP ones - I think I can get by....

James

Last edited:
James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
So far we have seen two of these coaches go for phone number style amounts, but how about this:
item number:132401987490
Starting price £132.63 plus postage from USA. No thanks!

James.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
So far we have seen two of these coaches go for phone number style amounts, but how about this:
item number:132401987490
Starting price £132.63 plus postage from USA. No thanks!

James.
Well guys, some months have passed, but yesterday I finally won my desired fifth Mustard Yellow UPRR coach!

It was from e-bay in USA and was from a vendor chum of bbbb, who paved the way for me and kindly persuaded his 'Posts To USA only' chum to send it to me.

Total price including shipping?

Just under £100 GBP! In my view good value.

Just needs some work on the couplings when it arrives....

So that is it! What am I going to do now?

Who said "It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive!"?

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Congratulations, James, and also commiserations; you have struck the age old problem - is it better to be searching for that final item which completes the collection or to find it and have the collection completed?

All you can do now is start selling your collection off and start again with something else.

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Good one. There are bargains out there, but you need to be patient.