Playmobil Dilemma

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Apologies for being a little quiet lately - Been busy and not had much time.

As I have mentioned elsewhere I have been quietly looing for a fifth mustard yellow Wild West type coach for my 3958 'UPRR rake'. The complete sets come up from time to time, but are usually VERY expensive.

Anyway today my e-bay daily search e-mail arrived and drew my atention to this....

eBay item number: 253205235826

This is quite amazing - this coach is a brand new and highly unusual one that was apparrently supplied separately (possibly by Playmobil Direct) and is still sealed! The coach was normally only sold in the set. Never seen anything like it before.

Don't be fooled by the listing being in German and priced in Euros - This vendor clearly knows his market - it is in Edinburgh and postage with the UK is much cheaper than quoted.

The last time I was able to buy one of these, was many years ago and then it cost me around £40. I don't consider the price to be too unreasonable, although I would prefer to pay less! I had sixty in mind for a loose one, and could even put up with missing chairs, grab poles etc, if the price reflected it.

However could I bring myself to pay the £80, open this and then run it, or worse still put some decals on it to fit in with my rake? I don't think I could.....

I have a philosophy that everything I own must be workable and capable of running. This coach really is mint (if not actually boxed) a 30 year old very rare survivor and is surely one purely for the collectors?

I guess if Xavier wanted one of these he would buy a tatty brown PRR Wild West coach and spray it yellow! I should be more like that I guess!

The same vendor has the complete 3958 and a 4035 Xmas train complete with the fabled cardboad present! His prces on these seem pretty good compared to others.

Interested to hear what others think?

James

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Why let the collectors have all the fun? (If keeping something MISB is fun. I came across someone whose whole collection - not Playmobil - and running to thousands of items was stored in the loft in sealed containers and the only way he could look at it was in the form of photos of the MISB boxes on hos computer! )

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Why let the collectors have all the fun? (If keeping something MISB is fun. I came across someone whose whole collection - not Playmobil - and running to thousands of items was stored in the loft in sealed containers and the only way he could look at it was in the form of photos of the MISB boxes on hos computer! )
Thanks Gordon,

That is the question! Is it fun keeping something sealed up? Not for me, but equally I am not a vandal!

James

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Well,
James May would buy it, throw the box away, and run it!

You could possibly resell the box on eBay??

It must be *RARE*!
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

£80 for something Garden Railway you *really* want? - Bargain compared with some..

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
buy it, use it!

even sealed in the box the material will dissolve with time. so no one can save it for eternity.
it was made as a toy! buy it, unpack it, play it, until you throw it.

i got a colection of about 2000 swopit figures (plus animals, wagons and buildings) that got brittle after 30 to 40 years. i'm glad, that i played with them!

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Do a James May, buy it and releter it in the knowledge that you still have what was a rare item!
JonD

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
James May is getting mentioned a lot here...
The main difference between me and him is one letter a few years and several million!

Great advice though....

Thank you

W

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
James just had a look at the coach. They were sold by Direct Services in the plastic as shown. There were no stickers. I have one so if you need any more details please let me know.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
If everyone kept their goodies unopened and unused, there wouldn't be any rare models, just lots of wasted opportunities!

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Buy this coach because you need it, and dream of it, can offer it
And Walt gives precious help
Please open the bag, and enjoy
There is no sense to keep it sealed up, because you has never bought trains to earn money
PM trains exist for you and us who play with.
A few days left to think about your maximum bid

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Great advice guys, I very much agree with what has been said. Not a great fan of packaging for its own sake, but merely as a means of storage and for transportation.

I may well go for it, but equally if a packaging nerd gets in there first so be it!

Although I do have some stickers that I could put on it, I think I rather like it plain. The first UPRR set I ever saw was totally mint and sticker-less and the mustard yellow coach body impressed me a great deal.

James

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Well the bidding has started, as I thought it would, although it is not crazy money yet. I guess the packaging nerds want this and good luck to them.

It is ends in three days, so I will decide whether to join in just before it ends, depending on price......

Looks like my UPRR rake will probably remain a coach short for the forseeable future.

James

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
So it ends. Happily? For someone it did, but not me.....€117.55. I had a bid, in fact had a couple of bids, going up to just over €100 but that was my limit and there I stopped..

I just hope whoever got it appreciates it, in all its fully sealed up glory. I will keep looking out for a used one, even with a few bits missing........

The lesson I am learning here is that the more collectable PM trains are still going up in value seriously, but all the items seems to be going for steadily increasing amounts, plus the supply is not what it was 10 to 15 years ago.

With other makes of toy trains it has taken decades, but ultimately the prices for the more plentiful items plateau out as the supply exceeds the falling demand and then even fall. I guess by the time PM starts to do that I will be approaching 100. Luckily all I really need to buy is this wretched UPRR coach!

James

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
So it ends. Happily? For someone it did, but not me.....€117.55. I had a bid, in fact had a couple of bids, going up to just over €100 but that was my limit and there I stopped..

I just hope whoever got it appreciates it, in all its fully sealed up glory. I will keep looking out for a used one, even with a few bits missing........

The lesson I am learning here is that the more collectable PM trains are still going up in value seriously, but all the items seems to be going for steadily increasing amounts, plus the supply is not what it was 10 to 15 years ago.

With other makes of toy trains it has taken decades, but ultimately the prices for the more plentiful items plateau out as the supply exceeds the falling demand and then even fall. I guess by the time PM starts to do that I will be approaching 100. Luckily all I really need to buy is this wretched UPRR coach!

James
Sorry you never got it James, but there are limits and we all have a fiscal one on Ebay items. Just console yourself that even if you went to £120 you may still not have got it as the other bidder may have been lots more of he/she seriously wanted it.
JonD

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Sad ending, James, but Jon is right - it may have escaped you bu you may never have won it anyway.

What annoys me is that it may just stay sealed in that bag forever!

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
I'm sorry to hear this
but you're right to respect budget limit
It's a pity this UPRR stays in a bag
Now you can devote yourself to the slots car event

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Never a dull moment.

That same vendor is now offering an UPRR unboxed coach and other items including a complete UPRR set and a Steaming Mary Set. They are all in beautiful condition and are wonderfully preseted, but I note that most if not all of the stock have the weighted type couplings....

Now off-hand I can't recall the date that these first arrived but I would bet a UPRR coach that it was after 1988 when the UPRR set was made. I seem to recall that my four other UPRR coaches all came with the sprung type couplings, or their remains!

However the Steaming Mary set survived I thik until 1995, so could aruably have been issues with the weighted hooks, perhaps?

I guess that these sets have been restored, but very nicely by someone who clearly loves Playmobil and knows a fiar bit about it!

James

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
So are you going to try for it?

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
So are you going to try for it?
Gordon,

Of course, because:

1/ this not sealed and mint

2/ I am a runner

3/ I need a fifth coach for my rake

4/ The issue of non original couplings is not an issue for me, other than being of interest.

It is also great that here in the UK we have someone like this, as most vendors are either on ebay.de or .com.

Gordon did you notice that he also has RC the diesel from the 4085 set? Although the music has not stopped yet, it seems a good price for an attractive little loco.

Any views on the date for weighted hook couplings?

James