Playmobil bashing - Brakevan build

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Really looks 'purposeful' (is that a word?) :)

Did you fabricate your brake-pipes, or buy them in?

If it isn't it is now. Sadly I don't have that level of talent (yet), I picked them up at a local model engineers show from Brandbright. They are flexible, and can be coupled to other rolling stock with the same pipes so will be using more of their ones.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
from good old google - yes it is word-

'having or showing determination or resolve.'

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Nice diesel. It looks suitably grubby. Is there room for a smoke generator in that boxed chimney/exhaust? Would be a nice finishing touch.

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
I recently finished the diesel engine to a standard I am relatively happy with. I still have a lot to do to the 0-4-0 steam engine but I couldn't wait to start this build. wanted to build a larger tank engine but keep the Playmobil feel to it, recently won a job lot of track, wagons and a loco and decided this was the place to start with it. I bought a second cab, underframes, (I already had a second boiler in stock), RC rods and a couple of pony trucks.

Pony mockup (excuse dog toys!)
IMG_2595.JPG

Frame extension cut ready to weld on..

IMG_2596.JPG

Rough layout of the loco

IMG_2597.JPGIMG_2599.JPG

You can see the RC rods replacing the regular rods clearly here. I think the locomotive is going to be inside cylinder, because of issues using the original parts and maintaining the swing on the pony truck for R1 curves. We shall see. It would be good to have the original 0-4-0 cylinders, rods and the RC connecting rods though.

IMG_2600.JPG

There were a few reasons I bought a complete cab. It gives me a set of 4 handles to replace missing ones on my other stock. It also has the missing loco brake handle that this engine was missing, and it means I can cut the tanks off and add them to the existing tanks easily to keep the lines perfect. Also contemplating increasing the coal bunker in the same way, for 'extended range' running.

IMG_2601.JPG

Also in the lot of stuff was a Western caboose, in not great condition, as well as a regular coach that is a bit tired. Plan is to combine parts from them both to create a brake van for the unfitted trains of open wagons :)

IMG_2518.JPGIMG_2519.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
That lining I was on about. Hides my cack masking excellently. In progress..
View attachment 241376

Hopefully (if it all stays on) finished!View attachment 241377View attachment 241378

I cheated a bit and used 2mm automotive styling stripes. I never have much luck with waterslide stuff and this is big enough to just get away with using vinyl. I think it helps break it up nicely.
What filler do you use? It produces a very fine finish or is that largely down to the grade of sanding paper? I always seem to get highspots and/or the thinnest areas break up. :(

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
What filler do you use? It produces a very fine finish or is that largely down to the grade of sanding paper? I always seem to get highspots and/or the thinnest areas break up. :(

Just using isopon p38, all down to sanding it and feathering it well. Before applying the surrounding area needs a good key so the filler sticks. make sure you get the mix right, if the activator quantity is wrong it will tend to lift and crumble. :)

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Best answers
Country flag
Great !
Very interesting , very nice job
I've been thinking about this project for a long time.
I take a seat to see your approach which will help me a lot.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rich
When you say you 'weld' they plastics together.. What do you actually mean? - I looks a little like you might 'podge' the joining area with a soldering iron?? :think:
Thanks
PhilP

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Rich
When you say you 'weld' they plastics together.. What do you actually mean? - I looks a little like you might 'podge' the joining area with a soldering iron?? :think:
Thanks
PhilP

If you want to word it like that, yes. :D But I have a hot knife blade which works far better than a regular iron tip. I much prefer to plastic weld parts where I can as the bond is superior to glue if done correctly, much like welding steel. Principle is the same, create a weld pool of the material to flow together. :)

Last edited:

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Great !
Very interesting , very nice job
I've been thinking about this project for a long time.
I take a seat to see your approach which will help me a lot.

Hopefully this build will inspire you to have a go at the 'same' locomotive, I would be very interested to see your approach to the build process! :)

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Wow - great bashes

Cheers! Realised I haven't added these photos here yet, welds smoothed down (aka the bits I poked with my soldering iron :D )
Am currently going over it all with some filler to smooth the joints.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, so I have stalled quite hard on the 2-4-0 build but I have picked it up again now so have a small progress report.

Got the wheelsets and connecting rods painted. Need to weather the rods like the last engine a little but I can do that anytime.
IMG_2706.JPG

primed the cab to check the fillerwork on the tanks

IMG_2730.jpg

Once happy with that I made up a crude lamp bracket. I am not entirely happy with where the lamp was mounted on the last engine so I fitted it to the back of the cab panel.

IMG_2733.jpg

Lamp assemblies..

IMG_2734.jpg
IMG_2735.jpg

First coat of black..

IMG_2736.jpg

Painted frame reunited with the motor block. Moving forward now at a moderate pace. :)

IMG_2737.jpgIMG_2738.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Quite a bit of progress completed. John S very kindly rekindled the mojo for the build with a set of metal-tired wheels for the front pony truck, the ones I had wobbled on the axle and were more pony than truck and that was a bit of a setback in that I needed to replace the wheels ideally before I could build anything else up.

Shiny front wheels:

I decided that the moulded pipework wouldn't cut the mustard (which means the 0-4-0 needs to go back under the knife at some point) and made up some basic pipework from some twin and earth. I didn't go mad, but the difference it makes is outstanding.

Did the electrickery. 2200MA/H battery in this one because of the extended boiler.

blaaack..

Oh, what's that? More detail? I added some tank fillers, as I think it again helps break the bleak toy-ness of it up a bit.

Little disappointed with my nameplate attempts but it looks ok from afar.

Little bit of dirt and grime.

Just preparing the front buffers so I can work out where the brake standpipe will go. More soon!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Best answers
Country flag
Impressive
I like a lot the purity of lines and shapes

I have always dreamed to make this kind of loco but I was disturbed by the transmitter part
in the front of the RC motor.
So I am happy it is not an issue for you :clap:

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Best answers
Country flag
Of course I meant receptor part ... o_O

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
Impressive
I like a lot the purity of lines and shapes

I have always dreamed to make this kind of loco but I was disturbed by the transmitter part
in the front of the RC motor.
So I am happy it is not an issue for you :clap:

You should build one, it’s easy to use the track power motor unit with RC like I have done to run on unpowered track. It’s been a good build, I’ve learned a lot about how I’m going to build/rebuild the next one. :)

Rich Skuse

Registered
10 Dec 2017
Bristol
Best answers
Country flag
So I've rush-finished the 2-4-0 as I ran a display using all 3 locos recently (pics here)
I will get the loco back out and take some photos soon, and finish a few last minor details but it's all neatly packed away at the moment. Something a little easier to work on would be the brake van I've wanted to put together for a while.
The brake van ran in it's assembled but unmodified state at the show, as you can see here:

121722_98125bbea228df75a78c6d211d35db14.jpg

It's a Western train set caboose with a flat roof. Pic of how it should look:

playmobil-begleitwagen-4123-westernzug.jpg

(not my photo, lifted from Google as an example)

Seeing as the caboose was missing most of its roof parts and had a bit of damage I thought I would have a fiddle with some other spare parts and see what could be done.

So far it's been fettled to accept the 'German' flatter roof, and I've painted the main body of the van.

IMG_3027.jpgIMG_3026.jpg

The plate 'riveted' on is actually repairing damage, rather than make it like it was never there, I'm playing to it and making it look like there has been some damage to the body and roof of the van that has been hastily repaired. The back story is it was caused in the fictional world by an operational error involving an incorrectly stowed crane jib (I plan on building a rail crane, because why not)
More as it happens.
Also, if anyone can make use of the original roof and cupola then drop me a message :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Quite a bit of progress completed. John S very kindly rekindled the mojo for the build with a set of metal-tired wheels for the front pony truck, the ones I had wobbled on the axle and were more pony than truck and that was a bit of a setback in that I needed to replace the wheels ideally before I could build anything else up.

Shiny front wheels:

View attachment 249187

I decided that the moulded pipework wouldn't cut the mustard (which means the 0-4-0 needs to go back under the knife at some point) and made up some basic pipework from some twin and earth. I didn't go mad, but the difference it makes is outstanding.

View attachment 249188

Did the electrickery. 2200MA/H battery in this one because of the extended boiler.

View attachment 249189

blaaack..

View attachment 249190

Oh, what's that? More detail? I added some tank fillers, as I think it again helps break the bleak toy-ness of it up a bit.

View attachment 249191

Little disappointed with my nameplate attempts but it looks ok from afar.

View attachment 249192

View attachment 249193

Little bit of dirt and grime.

View attachment 249194

Just preparing the front buffers so I can work out where the brake standpipe will go. More soon!
I was taken by the similarity of this NG Yugoslavian Steam Locomotive of class 176. Sure you will see the likeness, perhaps you used it as inspiration? Nice conversion.
8C87718C-99C8-4E1D-BF72-47EF560BA34B.jpeg