Playmobil 4052 loco and PRR tender

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I knew I should never have got rid of all that Meccano that I had kicking about!
I had a small Meccano set as a youngster but never really got along with it. I remembered this as soon as I began trying to screw the back of the new coupling to the tender, a job where you need to hold the nut in a pair of crocodile nosed pliers between the back of the tender front panel and the securing clip for the motor and in line with the hole in the tender front panel while manoeuvring the back plate of the coupling over hole and getting the bolt to take a hold on the thread of the nut.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Gordon there is a well under the cab and on mine the wiring leaves the boiler through the open bottom of the firebox into that well.

There is enough room there and in the firebox for your flasher etc and connections.

Rather than go through the cab you will see in the images in Playmobil Ideas that my wires leave the loco through the loco rear buffer beam to one side of the hook.

Obviously you will need to take account of the width of your tender coupling when drilling the hole.

Final idea - Thanks for the images showing how the Meccano brackets are fitted. Have you thought about adjusting the shape of the bracket nearest the engine to form a shallow curve? (Think of an LGB coupling loop). This might make the loco and tender buff more smoothly on sharper curves....

James
So something like the photo below, then, but with a hole drilled in the loco buffer beam and some sort of connector between loco and tender rather than just a wire.

97488_fca1754ee183c81c36e8524cdc6c4866.jpg

As regards the shape of the coupling, I really wanted to buy a drawer handle of the right shape but couldn't find one that didn't screw in from the back. I can imagine the shape, but I don't think Meccano would be the answer.

Last edited:
Firemangrumpy

Firemangrumpy

Registered
13 May 2018
Sunderland
So something like the photo below, then, but with a hole drilled in the loco buffer beam and some sort of connector between loco and tender rather than just a wire.

View attachment 238853

As regards the shape of the coupling, I really wanted to buy a drawer handle of the right shape but couldn't find one that didn't screw in from the back. I can imagine the shape, but I don't think Meccano would be the answer.
Handle like this?
https://www.therusticmerchant.co.uk/shop/bow-handle-4/

But the size is probably too big?

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire

View attachment 238853

Three things:

Yes but no... I have the wire coming out of a hole in the loco rear buffer beam. one side of the hook, but clear of the buffing plate on the tender. I wouldn't want it being as low as you have it....

The wire doesn't need to be as massive as the LGB Point wire you are using. There is not much load on it, so slimmer and more fleible wire would be an asset.

Finally in you do some smithing on the Meccano parts you have, you could present a curve to the loco. If you fold the uprights of the anchor strip on the tender in just a fraction and then make a reciprical bend on the strip facing the loco you will find that the flat of the strip is now longer than the gap between the two uprights. The extra length could then be made into a curve to use up the length. Does that make sense?

97519_f4102a8dacb455dd1108e38e1feb0135.jpg

Hope this crude sketch makes sense? A plain Meccacon strip would probably be better for the loop if you have one.

James

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Three things:

Yes but no... I have the wire coming out of a hole in the loco rear buffer beam. one side of the hook, but clear of the buffing plate on the tender. I wouldn't want it being as low as you have it....

The wire doesn't need to be as massive as the LGB Point wire you are using. There is not much load on it, so slimmer and more fleible wire would be an asset.

Finally in you do some smithing on the Meccano parts you have, you could present a curve to the loco. If you fold the uprights of the anchor strip on the tender in just a fraction and then make a reciprical bend on the strip facing the loco you will find that the flat of the strip is now longer than the gap between the two uprights. The extra length could then be made into a curve to use up the length. Does that make sense?

View attachment 238887

Hope this crude sketch makes sense? A plain Meccacon strip would probably be better for the loop if you have one.

James
Thanks for the tips about the wire, James.

I buy the Meccano bits as I need them and the strips and brackets are quite stiff for bending smoothly. I think I will see how present coupling works while keeping my eyes open for a replacement.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Here's an update and, hopefully, a couple of short videos of the 4052 at the Kirkbean Playmobil Exhibition in July. I hadn't done all I wanted to do, but it was too good an opportunity not to run her. Dirty skates and wheels meant the initial runs were a bit jerky, but a good clean of these by Walter Turner solved the problem. There was a problem with the tender derailing on reverse curves when reversing, but this may have been because I had forgotten to replace the ballast weight in the tender.

Currently, work is underway on an "umbilical" between the tender and loco and fitting LEDs in place of bulbs. Eventually, the loco will carry the number 4052 in white with the letters S. & B. C. R. (Seaport and Beachtown Coastal Railway) in white on the tender sides.

Here are links to the two videos:

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Currently, work is underway on an "umbilical" between the tender and loco and fitting LEDs in place of bulbs. Eventually, the loco will carry the number 4052 in white with the letters S. & B. C. R. (Seaport and Beachtown Coastal Railway) in white on the tender sides.
I hope you don't forget to include the firebox lighting.

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Very nice videos
It's always a pleasure to see the 4052 moving.
It is great you can exhibit your locos and wagons
Bravo