Playmobil 4052 loco and PRR tender

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Hello Gordon,

Sorry you might explain this but may I ask you why you removed the stickers from the tender ?

Xavier
The 4052 and the PRR tender are from different sets and they will be liveried for the S.&.B.C.R - Seaport and Beachtown Coastal Railway.

EDIT: Mine and James's post crossed; his reasoning is correct. The tender will have the initials of the railway on either side. The loco will have a name plate (name to be decided). I'm not sure what to do about the stickers already on the loco.

Last edited:
James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
The 4052 and the PRR tender are from different sets and they will be liveried for the S.&.B.C.R - Seaport and Beachtown Coastal Railway.

EDIT: Mine and James's post crossed; his reasoning is correct. The tender will have the initials of the railway on either side. The loco will have a name plate (name to be decided). I'm not sure what to do about the stickers already on the loco.
Gordon,

When are you back? Not forgotten my promise - just been very busy. I have some nice thick black plastic that I used for drop plates on my Bachmann Emily and James. I can send you a bit with the drawings.

James

Last edited:
James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Gordon,

I have taken some measurements.

Here are some images that I hope shows what you need to see. Sorry if it is not as clear as I would like - I have a black cat and I really struggle to take quality images of him too!

96015_85892ec6f97787ac3a65beb6ac33ff78.jpg

This is 2 cm wide and 4.5cm long. Is is slightly domed. I have not imaged or measured the bit that plugs into the tender, as you have that measurement already!

96016_ec43bc616c4479eee2b969aa9e2c6a3a.jpg
96017_d203b8940ea244e0b9c82d868fa40dea.jpg

The drop plate 5cm deep overall (4.6cm deep from the rear flat to the front flat)

9cm wide at the rear

7.2cm wide at the front

5.5cm wide at the middle.

The overall thickness is 4mm on the flat bits. The lugs are 1.5mm thick. That plastic I have is 5mm thick, which was not an issue on the Thomas fleet and could probably be got around here.

If you want me to send some, let me know when you get back.

Good luck,
James

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Yep!
Definitely a problem with the cat...

Can't see it anywhere! ;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Xav,

Wow!

Gram for Gram, i think that my wife's Tiffany ring is cheaper than that.

However, looking on the bright side; if the hard to find and desirable parts are all going for those sorts of prices, simple Keynsian economics dictates that it will encourage other suppliers to come forward to exploit the demand.......

PS: I hope that wasn't my cat getting killed. Either of them.....One is already down to six lives....

96164_bfe380143b89167e14a035029a7c5b99.jpg

James

Last edited:
-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
However, looking on the bright side; if the hard to find and desirable parts are all going for thoe sorts of prices, simple Keynsian economics dictates that it will encourage other suppliers to come forward to exploit the demand.......
A problem with Keynesian economics would seem to be that it allows for the debasing of currency, and here the debasing of the quality of plastic floating around in the market. The Austrian economics of Von Mises might rather ensure Maltese plastic. But I guess the quality of plastic does not seem as important as the value of money when you need a particular bit. You've got a lot of bits still on the sprues.
-bbbb

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Gordon,

When are you back? Not forgotten my promise - just been very busy. I have some nice thick black plastic that I used for drop plates on my Bachmann Emily and James. I can send you a bit with the drawings.

James
We got back yesterday, James, a rather disrupted arrival as the previous day when travelling to catch Eurostar at Paris, as I was walking along the platform at Gare de Lyons, I received a 'phone call from North Yorkshire police to say that they were at our place following a burglary. However, things were bit as bad as they might have been, little was stolen,not a, not of damage of done (just them getting in through the window) and the police and both insurance companies have been very quick in doing things and helpful. As our holiday in Carcassonne had been a bit of a disappointment - the weather was no warmer than at home, and sometime less. temperatures were 15C to 20C less than normal and it was wetter and windier than at home, so another disappointment wasn't a big issue.

A piece of the black plastic would be very helpfu, James; thank you.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Gordon,

I have taken some measurements.

Here are some images that I hope shows what you need to see. Sorry if it is not as clear as I would like - I have a black cat and I really struggle to take quality images of him too!

View attachment 237243

This is 2 cm wide and 4.5cm long. Is is slightly domed. I have not imaged or measured the bit that plugs into the tender, as you have that measurement already!

View attachment 237244 View attachment 237245

The drop plate 5cm deep overall (4.6cm deep from the rear flat to the front flat)

9cm wide at the rear

7.2cm wide at the front

5.5cm wide at the middle.

The overall thickness is 4mm on the flat bits. The lugs are 1.5mm thick. That plastic I have is 5mm thick, which was not an issue on the Thomas fleet and could probably be got around here.

If you want me to send some, let me know when you get back.

Good luck,
James
Thank you for all that work, James; it is very much appreciated.

The loco and tender had a preliminary hand wash this evening; dishwasher will follow tomorrow.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
We got back yesterday, James, a rather disrupted arrival as the previous day when travelling to catch Eurostar at Paris, as I was walking along the platform at Gare de Lyons, I received a 'phone call from North Yorkshire police to say that they were at our place following a burglary. However, things were bit as bad as they might have been, little was stolen,not a, not of damage of done (just them getting in through the window) and the police and both insurance companies have been very quick in doing things and helpful. As our holiday in Carcassonne had been a bit of a disappointment - the weather was no warmer than at home, and sometime less. temperatures were 15C to 20C less than normal and it was wetter and windier than at home, so another disappointment wasn't a big issue.

A piece of the black plastic would be very helpfu, James; thank you.

Gordon,

Really sorry to hear your news.

However, good to hear that it was not so bad as you feared and great that the insurance companies have rallied round.

I am exhibiting the Tyco US-1 Trucking and HO Life-Like Trains at the Slot Car Festival at Gaydon British Motor Museum this weekend. My plan is to get it all off to you during the coming week.

Hope that is Ok with you?

James

PS: I have also got a static display to assemble showing the Carrera 1/24th scale slot cars and the level crossing combining that with the LGB track and Playmobil trains! Hoping to exhibit that there is 2019!

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Gordon,

Really sorry to hear your news.

However, good to hear that it was not so bad as you feared and great that the insurance companies have rallied round.

I am exhibiting the Tyco US-1 Trucking and HO Life-Like Trains at the Slot Car Festival at Gaydon British Motor Museum this weekend. My plan is to get it all off to you during the coming week.

Hope that is Ok with you?

James

PS: I have also got a static display to assemble showing the Carrera 1/24th scale slot cars and the level crossing combining that with the LGB track and Playmobil trains! Hoping to exhibit that there is 2019!
Packet arrived safely, James; many thanks.

I hope Gaydon went well.

May I trouble you for one more thing, please - a template of the drop plate? If you would draw round it and post the outline to me, that would be a great help.

A wash in the dishwasher has been carried out and I am now polishing up using T-Cut and their polish. The sticker on the tender had left a "ghost" of the lettering, but that is gradually disappearing with the T-Cutting etc.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Packet arrived safely, James; many thanks.

I hope Gaydon went well.

May I trouble you for one more thing, please - a template of the drop plate? If you would draw round it and post the outline to me, that would be a great help.

A wash in the dishwasher has been carried out and I am now polishing up using T-Cut and their polish. The sticker on the tender had left a "ghost" of the lettering, but that is gradually disappearing with the T-Cutting etc.
Gordon,

Gaydon was fun thanks. We enjoyed playing with our HO Slot car trucks and trains!

Re the drop plate: I drew round it on the plastic I sent - take a look: I photocopied it too, which is encosed with plastic I sent you, so that is also an outline drawing if you like, and more accurate than I could draw myself!

I have spare light fittings, but not sure if I have a 4052 lens. I need to check. Edit: I have checked and I am really sorry, I don;t have one. In fact I have very little for the 4052....

James

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Gordon,

Gaydon was fun thanks. We enjoyed playing with our HO Slot car trucks and trains!

Re the drop plate: I drew round it on the plastic I sent - take a look: I photocopied it too, which is encosed with plastic I sent you, so that is also an outline drawing if you like, and more accurate than I could draw myself!

I have spare light fittings, but not sure if I have a 4052 lens. I need to check.

James
That things should be fun is really the main thing.

I hadn't noticed that you'd drawn the shape on the plastic! Tilting it about in the ,light I can see it now. I also hadn't realised that the paper was a photocopy; it looked like a photo that had been taken at an angle from above. Possibly the shape of the piece gives a false perspective. So please ignore the request for an outline drawing, you have already sent me all I need, for which, many thank again.

"The problem is," said Holmes putting down his pipe, "is that you look without seeing, Watson." (The Room with no Clock)

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
That things should be fun is really the main thing.

I hadn't noticed that you'd drawn the shape on the plastic! Tilting it about in the ,light I can see it now. I also hadn't realised that the paper was a photocopy; it looked like a photo that had been taken at an angle from above. Possibly the shape of the piece gives a false perspective. So please ignore the request for an outline drawing, you have already sent me all I need, for which, many thank again.

"The problem is," said Holmes putting down his pipe, "is that you look without seeing, Watson." (The Room with no Clock)
Thanks Gordon,

Yes the copy was taken smoothest side down so it should be accurate.

Sorry about the lens. The most I can offer you is a long cylinder! I thought I had quite a few bits for that loco carefully stashed. Maybe they are so well stashed that even i can't find them!

Good news is the Fibre=optic nature of the lens block should still work even though it has been broken. Put it back in and apply a strong liquid solvent glue to the break and it will be as good as it can.

But! Make sure the lamp holder with a lamp in it goes in first........

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thanks Gordon,

Yes the copy was taken smoothest side down so it should be accurate.

Sorry about the lens. The most I can offer you is a long cylinder! I thought I had quite a few bits for that loco carefully stashed. Maybe they are so well stashed that even i can't find them!

Good news is the Fibre=optic nature of the lens block should still work even though it has been broken. Put it back in and apply a strong liquid solvent glue to the break and it will be as good as it can.

But! Make sure the lamp holder with a lamp in it goes in first........

James
Will do!

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Time for a brief update.

All parts which can be put through the dishwasher have been through it.

Everything is dissassembled as a result and cleaning and polishing has started.

I started with the tender and one side has been finished. Removing the old stickers left a "ghost" of the lettering on the side, but a good polish with T-Cut, followed by two polishes with Turtle Wax car polish, another two rubbings with T-Cut and then five polishes with Turtle Wax has left one side of the tender nice and bright and polished and no "ghosting". The other side is next and then the rest of the tender doesn't need a lot of cleaning and polishing.

I have noticed that a handle on the boiler back has broken off (maybe it's there to open the firebox door) and so I will carefully drill a hole and insert the top of a Playmobil broom handle cut to length and paint it black.

James on this board and a friend on another board both suggested an "umbilical" wire to connect the two motors and give 12 pickups, and as both motors are now out of the loco and tender, now seems to be the time to do it. Any photos/diagrams/advice on how to do this would be much appreciated.

I may also add a flickering LED to the firebox at this stage too.

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Time for a brief update.

All parts which can be put through the dishwasher have been through it.

Everything is dissassembled as a result and cleaning and polishing has started.

I started with the tender and one side has been finished. Removing the old stickers left a "ghost" of the lettering on the side, but a good polish with T-Cut, followed by two polishes with Turtle Wax car polish, another two rubbings with T-Cut and then five polishes with Turtle Wax has left one side of the tender nice and bright and polished and no "ghosting". The other side is next and then the rest of the tender doesn't need a lot of cleaning and polishing.

I have noticed that a handle on the boiler back has broken off (maybe it's there to open the firebox door) and so I will carefully drill a hole and insert the top of a Playmobil broom handle cut to length and paint it black.

James on this board and a friend on another board both suggested an "umbilical" wire to connect the two motors and give 12 pickups, and as both motors are now out of the loco and tender, now seems to be the time to do it. Any photos/diagrams/advice on how to do this would be much appreciated.

I may also add a flickering LED to the firebox at this stage too.

Gordon,

I can't advise on how to do the firebox flicker - Mine were bespoke ones made by a very knowledgeable chum and were loming complex. A chum suggested using flickering Candle light LEDS in series with a red LED. and then a suitable resistor.

If Playmobil had evet done it ithemselves they would have use the good old bi-metal strip like you used to get with Xmas lights, but try getting one of those today!

For the umblical between loco an tender some two core flat fire and a suitable small plug and socket are needed. My wire came out under the tender drop plate and the one from the loco went under the cab and came out through the rear loco buffer beam. Take a look at 'Playmobil Ideas' thread and you can see images of how I tackled loco to tender conections on the 4052 and Steaming Mary.

James