Playmobil 4052 loco and PRR tender

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
I should soon have in my hands a very dirty Playmobil 4052 loco and a PRR tender. The latter is missing the water tank cover and the "gates" for the drop plate. In the case of the loco, all seems to be there from the photo, although I don't know if the lights work or not, only that the loco run forward and reverse. Pictures will be posted when it all arrives.

I recall seeing a conversion of one of these locos to a 4-4-0, using (I assume) the pony truck from the Steaming Mary, but can't find any photos. It may not be from this site, of course, but has anyone come across it here or elsewhere, please?

James Day

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Hello Gordon,

On a proper 4052 the lights were just the simple wires and a bulb plugged onto the tags at the top of the motor block... On the Pensy set version, there was only a light in the loco, as the tender had a dummy motor.

The gates are an issue as they are frequently lost or broken, presumably you have the elehant ears - the smoke deflectors?

Xav has found a guy in France who is 3d printing bits - We are waiting for him to start doing old time stea loco chimneys in black which he says he can soon do. Maybe he could be persuaded the 3d print the gates?

I can't imagine what it would look like coverted to a 4-4-0! Each to thier own though....meat, poison etc etc.

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thanks for the reply, James.

I know that the PRR tender is not an exact match to the original, but I have a spare motor and so that may fit and also power the light(s) on the tender. If not, I may try and fit a battery to power them.

The deflectors are there!

I have details of the bulbs for the loco if they are lost or blown, so I can replace them.

3D printed gates would be great if he will do them at a reasonable price.

The water tank cover seems to be in two possible sizes as I have seen them on eBay as 25mm and 45mm - it is an oval fitting, not a circular one.

The 4-4-0 custom looked good (I'm not actually planning to do own), but I think the boiler and frame had to be lengthened.

Edit 17:30 First sentence corrected to read: I know that the PRR tender is not an exact match....

Last edited:
James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Thanks for the reply, James.

I know that the PRR tender is an exact match to the original, but I have a spare motor and so that may fit and also power the light(s) on the tender. If not, I may try and fit a battery to power them.

The deflectors are there!

I have details f the bulbs for the loco if they are lost or blown, so I can replace them.

3D printed gates would be great if he will do them at a reasonable price.

The water tank cover seems to be in two possible sizes as I have seen them on eBay as 25mm and 45mm - it is an oval fitting, not a circular one.

The 4-4-0 custom looked good (I'm not actually planning to do own), but I think the boiler and frame had to be lengthened.
Gordon,

If you need the lights - PM me. Also, just an idea, but all my 4052s etc have an umbilical linking the loco and tender, so you have 12 pick up points that are mutually shared, instead of 6 + 6 that aren't. Without the link you can occasionally suffer a little 'bump and grind' as one part of the loco loses power, before being tugged or puhed onward by the other!

I will have a look through my spares tomorrow, to see what I have got, but I know that there are no doors!

James

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thank you for the offer of the lights and the info on the umbilical cord; I'll bear both in mind.

The doors may be something that is never replaced - I have seen one on eBay at £25 plus postage from France,

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
/
Thank you for the offer of the lights and the info on the umbilical cord; I'll bear both in mind.

The doors may be something that is never replaced - I have seen one on eBay at £25 plus postage from France,
Hello Gordon,

Yes I found that French vendor, who runs a regular and useful breaking house which does have some very rare and highly desireable bits. Sadly my pockets are a too shallow to do much business with him, although if I had a complete 4052 missing one door, I would probably pay that.....

I have had a really good rummage today and found some surprisng items that I had frankly forgotten, but the sausage shaped hatch cover that you need, was sadly was not amongst them. Sorry!

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thanks you for looking, James, it's much appreciated.

I'll measure up the size of the cover when I get the loco and then keep an eye on eBay.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
THE LOCO AND TENDER SHOULD BE WITH ME ON THURSDAY!

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Gordon,

Would I be wrong in sensing maybe just a little excitement?

James Day

James Day

6 May 2012
Warwickshire
I know exactly how you feel. I was like that waiting for that Mustard Yellow coach to arrive. Every day it didn't come, I was crestfallen!

When it did, it was brilliant!

James

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
It arrived early this afternoon just as I dozed off after lunch.

I will post pictures and a report in this thread in the next day or so.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Well, here's an update.

I'd bought the items from Glendale Junction and they had tested the loco and also reported that the tender motor was missing a tyre.

From the photos I could see that the front coupling loop on the tender was missing and that the water cover for the water tank, the drop plate and the "doors" on the tender were missing.

Broken coupling loops seem to be about par for these tenders and I wasn't surprised about the other pieces that were missing having seen the prices of "doors" for example on eBay and never having seen the drop plate for sale and bearing n mind that the cover of the water tank would obviously be taken on and off in play. I'd seen 4052s go for more than the £55 plus £10 p and p I was paying for both items with more bits missing.

Did a bit of testing last night. A small 9v battery turns the wheels on the loco with no problem and showed the lights were working OK.

The motor in the tender also runs OK, although I imagine both might benefit from a bit of oil and a clean. I'm seeing Walter Turner in July so I'll have a word with him before then.

A bulb has been fitted into the tender lighting unit, but the lights don't work; I suspect a failed bulb.

Photos follow in the next posts.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
So here are photos of the loco showing it's state.

95654_309796612795c249223f25584a6019ee.jpg
95655_a83d14c55821de4565d722d48747536c.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Well, I'm not sure what happened there, but you can see the state is mainly very dusty with yellowing of grey parts such as the bell and the connecting rods.

Here are some more showing a worn or dirty skate. Both show signs like this but a bit of further investigation will provide answers.

The chimney appears to be set up for a smoke unit. Was this standard on these locos? The diagram I have suggests it was.
95658_ad7fc90294e10ea13eb9e8fe1f515bb0.jpg
95659_572233cc96dedf4c45944bcec0f52d09.jpg

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Finally of the loco, a photo of the cab interior (as it came)
95660_8b11f8a35596f9efd31100256fc3de0f.jpg
95661_12cb47cb3bb4042fbc8bd7b297acb5b4.jpg
, the roof after a gentle scrub in warm soapy water and loco and tender together.

Attachments

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Now the tender.

The coupling loop on the front had broken off at some time and been replaced, but this too has broken off. However, it came with the tender and it oloks that with a bit of cleaning up and good glueing it can be refitted.
95663_b3d2eb2c48c214fd803fb4453f806765.jpg
95664_42dfcda2313e932bc9729cfdf546c275.jpg

Attachments

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Continuing with the tender, here's a series of views which are self-explanatory.

Attachments