Playmobil 4010

Mike Whitcomb

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Has any one modified one of these to look more realistic? And what are they based on? I am thinking of picking one up but would like to make it less toy like. Any photos of any variations people have done would be helpful, thanks.
4010-326x235.jpg

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
I don't know if this is in any way correct, but I'd always assumed they were a VERY, VERY "caricatured" and shortened version of a generic "modern" electric loco not unlike the Taurus design as made in G scale by Piko:

1566668921389.png

Jon.

Mike Whitcomb

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
Yeah definitely looks like a close match. Doesn't look like it would be to difficult to stretch it out and add better pantographs.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Yeah definitely looks like a close match. Doesn't look like it would be to difficult to stretch it out and add better pantographs.
To be honest, Mike, the Piko Taurus in G is available so readily and cheaply both new and secondhand (they made a lot, and I don't think they were ever all that popular) that it's hadly worth the effort in my opinion - I'd just buy the proper loco!
Of course if you're particularly a Playmobil fan or just like the toy version, then that's different.... ;)

Jon.

Mike Whitcomb

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
I run all battery power, so I will have to look into the Piko. Thanks for the info that helps out alot.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Lots of room in that big bodyshell for a battery RC conversion, though that would of course add to the cost.... and the Playmobil one does come with RC included....

Jon.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Has any one modified one of these to look more realistic? And what are they based on? I am thinking of picking one up but would like to make it less toy like. Any photos of any variations people have done would be helpful, thanks. View attachment 256156
I have one of these and have been pondering what to do with it for some time, in the meantime it is an occasional useful runner. Thoughts could be turned to loosing the Pans if you do not have Overhead Wire, some odds and sods on the Roof to perhaps represent Exhausts etc and a Repaint (use Spray) would improve it considerably.

Reactions: Mike Whitcomb
voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
I personally think it is lovely as it is. Doesn't pretend to be anything but what it is, a toy.

Paul

-bbbb

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
I think that this playmobil train operates on 27 MHz which has limited range and is subject to interference. So consider that if you want 2.4 GHz control, this playmobil train would also require conversion of it's control system. The piko might be the better choice for you if you want 2.4 GHz. I've noticed that the 27 MHz Playmobil trains are more fun to operate than the 2.4 GHz Playmobil train (at close distances) since the control is a little smoother and they have exponentially quieter motors (I don't know how loud piko's are, or how smooth they run). The size of your track and the amount of signal interference problems at your site might help determine if converting to 2.4 GHz or sticking with 27 MHz would be more appropriate for you.

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
If anything i'd say probably inspired by something like the DB class 101 rather than the Taurus. Things like the "chamfered" cab sides and the arrangement of the pantographs make me think of the 101

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Yes, I would agree that Class 101 is much closer and more likely what the PM toy is based on.... I chose the Taurus as an example of a generic modern loco which is available in G.
I suppose if you could find TWO of the PM ones, you could build something more or less the correct length at least.... maybe two cut-and-joined PM bodyshells using the chassis and pantos from a Piko loco.....?

Jon.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
When I get round to doing whatever I do with mine a conversion to Fosworks Radio Control be be carried out. Though for the meantime the old fashioned steam age RC works quite well, must be lucky in that there appears to be little interference around here. Perhaps there are no CB Radio nuts in the locality.

Xav204

Xav204

Registered
26 Jul 2017
Marseille FRANCE
Hello Mike,

A French PlaymoFriend of me made this one

1567001793552.png

Source : 67Dillen

It is inspired by French Rolling Fleet

You can see below its other locos

1567002026457.png

We are Playmobil so we stay in toy mind.

The white loco is matched with Playmobil RC Express because he has converted it in wagon/car

I cannot resist to show another custom , very close to French loco
I know you will recognize the work base

1567002403271.png

Attachments

Mike Whitcomb

Mike Whitcomb

Registered
16 Apr 2017
Stuart Fl, USA
They look great, very nice work

38thfoot

Grand dreams; limited talent
19 Nov 2013
Hazel Grove, S Manchester
The PM loco actually came first but they look pretty similar to the Russian children’s railways TU10

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Those Tu10’s certainly appear to be a rip-off from the PM Loco with perhaps a few minor detail changes to replicate the needs of a Working Locomotive. I would imagine that they do not have Coupled Wheels as the PM one does but it is not possible to see from any of the pictures and the vids do not work on my iPad. Yet another interesting example of reality following fiction as with the Clam Shell Phone being directly out of Kirk’s ‘beam me up’ Communication Device and many others.

This search found lots of pics and indeed the Bogies do not have Coupling Rods. But lots of pictures of these interesting lines.

russian children's railway tu10

A

Achim.Z.

Registered
6 Apr 2017
AT
Hello;

we have also done some redesign of this machine. But in the end not only an optical redesign must be done, also some additional weight is a good "helper" for a better run.

1.) we cutted the front and added a hood on the "diesel engine" we also recolored it in
RAL 1028 Melon yellow

zortea_2014-06-20_18.03.43.JPG

2.) redesign was a coloring in blue - like a CD railjet
zortea_2016-05-31_18.09.05.jpg

3.) we changed from 4 batteries to 6 batteries and added some weight
zortea_2017-05-02_20.56.42.jpg

On this photo the decals are missing.

From the railjet we had some motor and wheels and we used them to make this loco - inspired from the not realized OeBB 2094
IMG_20180301_231304.jpg

Most important point is, that these are locos for children and therefore we did not make very filigree addons.

regards
Achim

A

Achim.Z.

Registered
6 Apr 2017
AT
oups, sorry!

forgot the train of my daughter - we are just doing the redesign these days ...
pink.jpg

Regards & funny railroading
Achim

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
That's a great selection you've made there.