Piko G scale DCC system information available

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Centralistas

There are some details emerging of Piko's new DCC system. An extract from Piko's autumn announcements has been placed on the Internet by Piko here:
http://www.bigtrainworld.com/joomla/images/stories/piko-2010/Piko_g_Herfstnoviteiten_2010.pdf

Looks like a straightforward system setup with DCC central station, wired or wireless control and a point decoder as initial offerings. The recommended prices for Germany are shown on Piko's website http://www.piko.de/e/Herbstneuheiten10.php but I'll summarise for you (all prices in Euros):
35010 Central Station - 199.99
35011 Navigator - 269.99 (r/c fitted as standard, but cable connection to central station supplied too)
35012 R/C receiver - 99.99
35013 Point decoder - 79.99

Three things strike me from the brochure and pricing:
1) Although the controller is clearly based on Massoth's Navigator (as discussed in an earlier thread here - http://www.gscalecentral.net/m60697 ) the other components are not visibly Massoth kit rebadged, assuming the illustrations - stated as CAD drawings - are accurate. The Navigator description at http://www.piko.de/produkt_db/check.php?page=detail&grand_id=10&parent_id=2&child_id=1&id=35011 reads like a straight crib of Massoth's own text. No surprises there, I suspect, nor much simplification of functionality to lower the entry price.

2) The central station is tagged as 20/22volts, 5amps, NMRA DCC compliant. Could it be a derivative of the LGB MTS controller's design, minus the LGB bus? It's stated to be capable of 14.28 or 128 speed steps, 9999 loco addresses and 2048 point addresses and functions F1-F16.

3) Piko aren't exactly giving this stuff away! Pricing for the central station is certainly lower than LGB's MTS3 box and the Navigator price looks somewhat lower too, but the other components are definitely up there with Massoth's prices. Presumably the game plan is to undercut LGB and others on the core box, then reel the punters in on the accessories, which is Piko's business model on loco accessories such as sound and DCC chips.

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
Interesting.

A pity that it is limited to 5 amp that still leaves Massoth as the sole big amp supplier in DCC.

No mention of a booster?

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
GrahamMills said:
Interesting.

A pity that it is limited to 5 amp that still leaves Massoth as the sole big amp supplier in DCC.

No mention of a booster?
Hello, Yes interesting about the Piko DCC system.

It is not true that Massoth are the sole big amp supplier in DCC (if what you mean is more than 5 Amps). It is possible to put Lenz boosters/command stations in parallel to get a notional 10A, also I think other suppliers such as NCE, Digitrax, ESU have higher rated command stations and boosters. Anyway having more amps is not necessary if layouts with big total current draws are split up into power districts.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
So what is the compatability of this system? Will it work with loco's fitted with Massoth and/or LGB chips fitted? In other words, is it an alternative to a Massoth or MTS set-up?

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
I must admit that I am very unclear about the use of boosters. Can one piggy back boosters, say add 2x5amp to make a total of 15amp or do some components start failing somewhere.

I'm not a lover of power districts, that seems to me to be reverting to DC practise and all the wiring and switching characteristics thereof.

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Information provided from a German forum says the system is compatible with Massoth/(LGB). The Navigator has green display bacground and no lights for the buttons. Apart from that same functionality. Digital central station without update function and programming track, but everything else is there compared to Massoths unit.

- Loco -

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
So what is the compatibility of this system? Will it work with loco's fitted with Massoth and/or LGB chips fitted? In other words, is it an alternative to a Massoth or MTS set-up?
The Piko system says it is NMRA DCC Compliant so it should work with all NMRA DCC Compliant decoders such as those from Massoth and LGB (parallel). All other NMRA DCC Compliant systems such as LENZ, Digitrax etc should also be able to be used with any NMRA Compliant decoders.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
GrahamMills said:
I must admit that I am very unclear about the use of boosters. Can one piggy back boosters, say add 2x5amp to make a total of 15amp or do some components start failing somewhere.

I'm not a lover of power districts, that seems to me to be reverting to DC practise and all the wiring and switching characteristics thereof.

With the Lenz system you can put two 5amp boosters in parallel or one command station and one booster in parallel to get a 10amp system. I don't think you can do this with other manufacturers, as far as I know.

I am led to believe there are some EU regulations somewhere that say if your product is classified as a 'toy' you can't use more that 5A.

True, you get more wiring with extra power districts.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
yb281 said:
So what is the compatability of this system? Will it work with loco's fitted with Massoth and/or LGB chips fitted? In other words, is it an alternative to a Massoth or MTS set-up?

Hi Mel

The system is being pitched as NMRA compliant and it is definitely being made by Massoth, so it should be a drop in replacement for any other DCC system. The decoders Piko supply are not Massoth (made by Uhlenbroeck), so their complete offering is clearly flexible enough.

From a business viewpoint, I think Piko (and Massoth) are being rather clever about pitching this system to further erode LGB's market share. The central station is clearly an alternative to LGB's rather than Massoth's (based on power), but priced lower. The handset is also slightly cheaper than an LGB handset + radio-control. If users buy a basic setup, then decide to go further, the user MUST buy Piko/Massoth radio control gear, not LGB, as the two systems radio-control frequencies are different. Obviously, low end users will tend to stick with the badged product with which they're familiar.

The advantage to Piko is obvious: for Massoth it's a good "back door" into the lower end of the market which should lead to more sales of higher priced kit down the road. Bet a Piko branded booster unit emerges within 18 months!

Clever people Piko!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Clever people Piko!

Have to agree with you there. Piko do seem to be moving forward pretty quick and in generally the right direction. They have certainly picked up the ball that LGB/Marklin dropped and are running hard.
All I hope is that the Harz Kammel will start thier trip into euro narrow gauge - but thats a personnal want, business wise I think Piko are strong.