Piko BR80, how to remove black coating on wheels?

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Titles says it all, how can I remove the black coating on the wheels? :thinking:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Deutsche Reichsbahn - 27/10/2009 6:01 PM

Titles says it all, how can I remove the black coating on the wheels? :thinking:

Turn it upside down. In an ideal world have someone hold the loco for you (or grow a third hand). Connect some wires to the skates. Apply a gentle abrasive pad (LGB/ Massoth/ Peco track rubber is perfect) and run the loco at high speed until the coating is gone. I would advise against sandpaper, no matter how fine.

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep - 27/10/2009 7:04 PM

Deutsche Reichsbahn - 27/10/2009 6:01 PM

Turn it upside down. In an ideal world have someone hold the loco for you (or grow a third hand). Connect some wires to the skates. Apply a gentle abrasive pad (LGB/ Massoth/ Peco track rubber is perfect) and run the loco at high speed until the coating is gone. I would advise against sandpaper, no matter how fine.

I had to look up the translation of "abrasive pad" but I know what it is now.. :bleh:
Can I use one that is also used for cleaning the house or kitchen..?
This one for example: http://www.forum.gartenbahn-stammtisch.de/viewtopic.php?t=1185

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Forgive me - I forgot English is not your first language. I could not see an abrasive pad in your link (but the pictures of the Piko V60 are VERY nice!). As a rule, I would not use anything designed for household cleaning. Except possibly anything designed to clean brass or silver house ornaments - that usually contains very, very fine abrasive.

Hope this helps.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
How about using one of those fibreglass pencils as you find in model shops?

Be careful not to breathe in the dust residue though....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
NO!! please, please do not use a fiberglass pencil on any wheels/gearboxs , lighting pick up wheels...
the fibers that break off, WILL BUGGER THE mottor, wheel sets.... ask me how i know..
or , please dont, but they do :eek:
best to use a track rubber/cleaner...as said, lie loco on its back(in its packing lid)track power to skates,

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
mike - 27/10/2009 7:37 PM

NO!! please, please do not use a fiberglass pencil on any wheels/gearboxs , lighting pick up wheels...
the fibers that break off, WILL BUGGER THE mottor, wheel sets.... ask me how i know..
best to use a track rubber/cleaner...as said, lie loco on its back(in its packing lid)track power to skates,

So I can use my LGB trackcleaning block? Nice! :)

whatlep - 27/10/2009 7:21 PM

Forgive me - I forgot English is not your first language. I could not see an abrasive pad in your link (but the pictures of the Piko V60 are VERY nice!). As a rule, I would not use anything designed for household cleaning. Except possibly anything designed to clean brass or silver house ornaments - that usually contains very, very fine abrasive.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, pasted the wrong link :happy:

Thanks all! ;)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
never had a problem with the lgb track cleaning block, or the large blue track cleaning rubber(make unknow) re bits causeing problems... now fiberglass pens, buggered up a few sets off ballbearing wheel sets with one off thouse, but not the track cleanbig stuff.. think its because they are designed for cleaning track, and wheels..

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
The trick with the LGB trackcleaning-thing works great! The wheels are completely shiny now. :applause:
I'll post some pictures tomorrow! ;)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
mike - 27/10/2009 6:37 PM

Ah! Good point then Mike.

I learn something new on this forum every day, even if it's at someone else's expense....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
mike - 27/10/2009 8:07 PM

never had a problem with the lgb track cleaning block, or the large blue track cleaning rubber(make unknow)

I think you'll find Garryflex is the brand leader in these.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garryson-Garryflex-Abrasive-Block-120grit/dp/B0001P08UQ

vsmith

G Scale indoors, O Tinplate, Micro Layouts
24 Oct 2009
Sunny So Cal
Best answers
Country flag
I Have the US version but I too did most of whats been already suggested on mine as well, cradle it, attach power to the skates with alligator clips and run it with some sort of abrasive gainst the wheels. Mine took awhile, the center wheels tend to shaft around from side to side , but once its done, its done and it makes a huge difference in running performance. This paint issue is the only real hiccup Piko did with this unit.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Why not just make a large version of the Kadee wheel brush? The hardware stores sells all kinds of brushes.

http://kadee.com/html/236.jpg

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Spule 4 - 29/10/2009 2:27 AM

Why not just make a large version of the Kadee wheel brush?

I'd advise caution before using anything like wire brushes on the wheels. They are much 'scratchier' than the abrasive pads and will leave more indents into which dirt will accumulate.

By the way, to follow another post, you realy don't need to clean the middle set of wheels - they don't pick up power! Too late to tell you now, probably..... :cool:

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
whatlep - 29/10/2009 4:03 PM

I'd advise caution before using anything like wire brushes on the wheels. They are much 'scratchier' than the abrasive pads and will leave more indents into which dirt will accumulate.

By the way, to follow another post, you realy don't need to clean the middle set of wheels - they don't pick up power! Too late to tell you now, probably..... :cool:
I thought about that but decided to clean them too.
2 shiny axles and a dark one looks weird, so cleaned the middle axle too. Looks great now!
Also got 2 brakehoses from a friend so I can install them like you did (I read your review).. ;)

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
whatlep - 30/10/2009 10:03 AM

Well, why do they (Kadee, Minitrix, et al) sell wire brushes for cleaning wheels then?

My father has some PFM brass that is nearing 50 years in age and so far no ill effects on the plated wheels. :cool:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Spule 4 - 29/10/2009 10:48 PM
Well, why do they (Kadee, Minitrix, et al) sell wire brushes for cleaning wheels then?

My father has some PFM brass that is nearing 50 years in age and so far no ill effects on the plated wheels. :cool:

Short answer - no idea why they sell them. I found the item I used poor compared to the LGB/ Massoth/ Peco abrasive pads, but your experience is equally valid.

Let the preferred solution be used and a thousand flowers bloom.... :*

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Actually, I to have to say one bit I forgot to add, the brushes used by Kadee are brass, and not stainless or cold steel.

A strong brush could wear off the plating for sure, or scuff the wheel to cause more dirt to collect as you point out.

Somewhere on the internet, there was a wheel brush station made for G scale locos, including electrical contacts.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst I understand where Mike is coming from re fibreglass sticks & pens, gotta say I've been using them for 25 years or more on all gauges from Z to G with no problems. The trick is NOT to press hard, then you don't get bits flaking off and going into the mechanism. There are different grades used for burnishing metal and cleaning electrical contacts. I have some very fine grade sticks and some with larger fibres.

Also use the Trix/Minitrix wheel cleaners in both N and HO gauge, I find these are excellent. As has been mentioned the soft brass these are made of doesn't scratch steel wheel surfaces. Again, the trick with these cleaners is NOT to press hard.