Piko BR80 0-6-0 : Hot after running

L

LGB Joe

Registered
30 May 2020
Southern NJ
Hi fellas,

I recently started my garden railway project, and in the track planning forum I received a lot of great advice and feedback.

It's been coming steadily along, and I've been purchasing some new items for it along the way. I just purchased a Piko BR 0-6-0 secondhand.

First thing I did when receiving it is lubricate the gears with some Piko brand grease. I noticed after my two running sessions of about 30-mins to an hour that it got pretty warm.

To be specific, touching the bottom with the plastic plate on it waswarm to the touch.

To investigate further I opened it back up, to see if anything was amiss. Other than adding a touch more grease, it seemed fine. Until I touched the motor and discovered it was very hot to the touch. Not painfully so, but borderline.

I was running (5) 2 axle cars behind it. Do you think it's too much load? Most of my experience is with LGB and I never had a problem like this.

Ran it at a medium pace. I have some grades but nothing crazy.

Again it was used and the shoes showed some wear, so it's possible the motor is a bit worn out. Or maybe this is just how they are?

Thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

L

LGB Joe

Registered
30 May 2020
Southern NJ
Hi Greg,

Good point. In this case yes. However one of the cars has a LGB 5005 track cleaning attachment. I dont think it would be much drag, but perhaps that's the answer?

-Joe

L

LGB Joe

Registered
30 May 2020
Southern NJ
I missed the grade question, I did a quick eyeballing with a tape measure and a stick. Tried to make a right triangle with the hypotenuse as the ground, if that makes sense. The steepest part is a 180 circle comprised of 3 LGB R2 and 4 LGB R3. About 6ft diameter. It goes up a hill, about 6 inch elevation change.

The math comes to about 2.6%, but to be safe and round up a bit probably 3-4%. I typically run it so it goes downhill here though. It is much gentler getting up the other side of the hill.

Another thing I thought of, it does occasionally spin its wheels on curves. (R2 R3 only). I pinned this down to lack of a traction tire, but perhaps this wheel spinning/peeling out is a contributor?

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Try without the track cleaner..

Check the wheels on the stock are in-gauge.. - Someone will shoot me down, but roughly 41mm back to back seems about right.
If your track is second-hand, you may have a damaged section of track? - The Mk.1 eyeball, from a low angle, is good for this. ;)

Curves + grades + the track-pad, and the fact your loco is slipping (slipping is good, stalling with the wheels stopped, isn't!) could be the cause??

What is your weather like, at the moment? - Full-sun on your track? Daytime temperatures?

PhilP.

P

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Just a thought, how much grease did you put in? I have a BR80, bought used from eBay, and I was actually pleasantly surprised how little voltage it takes to move,and quickly gain speed, reason I asked about the grease, is too much can actually cause drag, my experience is nearly all 00 gauge, so I might be way off. I have seen loco gearboxes stuffed full, causing the motor to overheat trying to move the gears through the morass.

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Tight curves on a grade basically increases the grade.

The wheels slipping indicate either too much drag or just too much for the loco.

So a 6 foot diameter half circle is 113 inches, (pi * 6 * 12 / 2 ) and you have a 6 inch rise... so you have
6 inches in 113 inches ,
divide both by 1.13 and you have
5.3 inches in 100, i.e. 5.3%

pretty darn steep... now realize that curves on a grade effectively increase the grade, so maybe an effective grade of 7%?

too steep...

Greg

L

LGB Joe

Registered
30 May 2020
Southern NJ
Thanks guys. I think Im going to do a number of things, first being trying to reduce the grade. To the naked eye it doesnt look like much but clearly it's a problem. Second, going to keep testing by just doing 2 car trains after the grade smoothing. I will follow up later this weekend.

Thanks again,

-Joe

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
OK so you applied some grease to the gearing but did you give the motor bearings a tiny drop of oil? What about the axle bearings? Don't over-do it, but with a second hand loco you don't know it's service history.

It might be useful to measure the current draw of the loco running on its own. I don't know the typical current draw of the loco but someone on here will I'm sure? High current draw could indicate motor on it's way to failure, dirty/oily commutator, dry bearings etc.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
If it's any compensation, I get hot just thinking about running in this heat:oops:

C

Cranford

Theatre, Model railroads, GCR
29 Jan 2010
Leicester
Hi fellas,

I recently started my garden railway project, and in the track planning forum I received a lot of great advice and feedback.

It's been coming steadily along, and I've been purchasing some new items for it along the way. I just purchased a Piko BR 0-6-0 secondhand.

First thing I did when receiving it is lubricate the gears with some Piko brand grease. I noticed after my two running sessions of about 30-mins to an hour that it got pretty warm.

To be specific, touching the bottom with the plastic plate on it waswarm to the touch.

To investigate further I opened it back up, to see if anything was amiss. Other than adding a touch more grease, it seemed fine. Until I touched the motor and discovered it was very hot to the touch. Not painfully so, but borderline.

I was running (5) 2 axle cars behind it. Do you think it's too much load? Most of my experience is with LGB and I never had a problem like this.

Ran it at a medium pace. I have some grades but nothing crazy.

Again it was used and the shoes showed some wear, so it's possible the motor is a bit worn out. Or maybe this is just how they are?

Thoughts and input greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe
Check your current draw,should only be about 0.5 amp

Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
I bought one of these with no box at a Texas train show when they first came to our part of the U.S. It would slow down noticeably after running several hours as the engine for the Halloween Party Train (3 AristoCraft Sierra Coaches). Before I could diagnose it, my Grandson took it apart to fix it, and some missing and/or broken critical parts kept it from being reassembled. This could be normal?

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
It's the bits I find I have left over that worry me!:(

Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
It's the bits I find I have left over that worry me!:(
As my mentor at repair school said, "If you don't have an extra parts, what happened to the ones you replaced?"

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
As my mentor at repair school said, "If you don't have an extra parts, what happened to the ones you replaced?"
Flogged to someone who knows what they're doing normally