Piko BR 50 dissappearing coal

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I thought it was off topic with the Hornby/Lionel thing but Suzuki/Renault???? Come on, please try to keep thing relevant or things may just disappear! Start a new thread in an appropriate place if you must!
Sorry :(

PaulRhB

PaulRhB

Registered
The main advantage of a feature like this is it looks different in photos ;)
You can introduce coaling stops if you like operating a mini railway but as pointed out above scale distances would mean many probably needing a golf cart to follow their train! ;)
Nice bit of fun and probably more use than 50% of the sounds on your average sound decoder :)

KeithT

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
We are off topic somewhat but the best car I even had was a Renault Savannah estate with 3 rows of seats. As smooth a ride as a Rolls Royce, comfortable, loads of space and completely reliable. The Laguna that replaced it was almost as good. But the Espace not so.
Over a period of 5yrs I drove hundreds of them. When they were good they were excellent but later they began fooling around with totally unnecessary electrical gadgetry causing lots of problems. I have an Astra K with a Renault sourced electric handbrake. It releases frequently when the engine is started and often locks on, great fun at traffic lights because I have to switch off and restart to release it. On one occasion it banged on as I reversed. I thought the wheels had fallen off!
I got it replaced after 3 attempts, it is now worse than before. :(
A friend has a new Scenic with precisely the same problem.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I think you missed the bit where the moderators asked us to stay on topic! :)

Reactions: mike
KeithT

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Oops!
Only just seen it. :wasntme:

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Here's Eric'sTrains review of the Lionel Vision Line Bog Boy with the disappearing coal load. Around 27 minutes in he starts talking about it.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Here's Eric'sTrains review of the Lionel Vision Line Bog Boy with the disappearing coal load. Around 27 minutes in he starts talking about it.

At 39 mins he puts it into demonsteration mode.

Reactions: mike
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
At 39 mins he puts it into demonsteration mode.

While Eric's reviews are among the best on Youtube and in OGR magazine, he is never at a lose for words.....:rolleyes:

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Having seen the effect.. I have to say I am a little under-whelmed. :rolleyes:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
While Eric's reviews are among the best on Youtube and in OGR magazine, he is never at a lose for words.....:rolleyes:
You got that right,

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA

I must agree. For me and my Lionel trains, it's all about play value. But I can admire these guys who like the ultimate realism. As some of us point out, over on the "O" gauge forum, our seventy-plus Lionel trains took a licking and are still ticking. What will these electronic marvels be like in seventy years ?

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I'm sure it could be enhanced - I was thinking of something like the font at our last church in Midhurst. After a baptism, I'd get the kids around when I took the plug out, and as the water drained away, it emitted the most fantastic raspberry sound >:)>:)>:)>:)>:)

Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
I must agree. For me and my Lionel trains, it's all about play value. But I can admire these guys who like the ultimate realism. As some of us point out, over on the "O" gauge forum, our seventy-plus Lionel trains took a licking and are still ticking. What will these electronic marvels be like in seventy years ?
Even the simpler electronics are causing problems for me at the 30 year mark. Directional lighting diodes are shorting in my FA-1's and opening up in my Chinese made starter set LGB. I realize that some (most) of these engines were bought at train shows and the "newness" could be a concern, but the two I bought from a Texas dealer were returns that he sent back to the distributor for repairs, and they have been 100% good.

---Hutch

Last edited:
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Even LEDs have a limited life. The LED bulbs that I put in my camera desk lamps are good for about 20,000 hours :nerd::nerd:

JimmyB

JimmyB

Semi-Retired; more time for trains.
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Even LEDs have a limited life. The LED bulbs that I put in my camera desk lamps are good for about 20,000 hours :nerd::nerd:
20,000 running hours for most are railways is going some.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
20,000 running hours for most are railways is going some.
The gentleman said 30 years - so early LEDs could be getting a bit tired.

Now they're saying that the newer lifetime LED domestic fittings are getting on for 50,000 hours.

I installed one in the MIL's bathroom that was reckoned to be good for 30,000 hrs - she's 94 and reckoned that she'll call me when it needs changing :D:D

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Going back a few years there was a very spiffy toy store in Watergate Street, Chester, now mostly gone, having been divided in half some while back. They had the usual LGB train running on a suspended track. Having been watching this poor little trainset on an off for around fifteen years or so, the next time I went in I asked the sales assistant how often they carried out any maintenance. She looked at me as though I had asked her to divest herself of her nether garments, and replied that it was nothing to do with her, nor, for that matter, with me.

Some ten years later I went in again, and there it was, chugging valiantly around the track, somewhat slower than I remembered, but nevertheless, still moving, although there WERE hints of a squeak. the loco was a very early Stainz, as bombproof a little loco as you could ever want, but......................