Piko BR 50 dissappearing coal

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Hornby have announced they are to ?resell? the Lionel 'gauge 1' Harry Potter set, later this year..
£150 for the set with plastic track, the shortie coaches, controller etc.

Is this a coup for Hornby, or Lionel?

I can see many coaches up for sale, and bashed loco's, to something better? :think:

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hornby have announced they are to ?resell? the Lionel 'gauge 1' Harry Potter set, later this year..
£150 for the set with plastic track, the shortie coaches, controller etc.

Is this a coup for Hornby, or Lionel?

I can see many coaches up for sale, and bashed loco's, to something better? :think:
Whoopee, been wanting one of these for ages. Hall looks ideal to convert to a GWR 2-6-0 like the one on the West Somerset Railway, coaches binworthy. Though they may with a lot of bashing make something, wider longer?

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Poor Hornby, they've introduced a new set for kiddies to play with, but looks like the older folk are going to get there first !

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Eric's trains on Youtube shows a 0 gauge loco with the disappearing coal feature, but as his voice sends the purple cringes through me you'll have to look it up yourself.

KeithT

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
I've just watched this new video from Piko show casing their digital BR50, what was new to me was the coal level reducing in the tender as you run the loco, requiring you to stop and refill the coal. Is this a gimmick to far or a new addition that people will use , I've never heard of it before but no doubt someone will say its a common add on you idiot. The feature is described at 3:20, I like the loco but doubt i'd use this feature often

The ‘disappearing’ coal reminds me of daft electronic gizmos on Renault cars.
They have no real purpose but they fit ‘em cos they can. :-((

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
The ‘disappearing’ coal reminds me of daft electronic gizmos on Renault cars.
They have no real purpose but they fit ‘em cos they can. :-((
Renault aren't renowned for the reliability of their electrics - or so the French policeman with a big grin on his face told me when I couldn't open my electric window at Calais last year. He seemed a little surprised I could understand his comments. He was not a little stunned when I told I thought they were s**t in my reasonably fluent French!!

Reactions: trammayo
trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Renault aren't renowned for the reliability of their electrics - or so the French policeman with a big grin on his face told me when I couldn't open my electric window at Calais last year. He seemed a little surprised I could understand his comments. He was not a little stunned when I told I thought they were s**t in my reasonably fluent French!!
My Suzuki car has a Renault engine - only had four major failures with it :banghead:.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
I have had 2 Renault 4s in my time, both were fantastic little cars with good reliability and quite extensive mpg. Point that let them both down was the under-pan that used to rust out failing both of them at MOT sadly. WhenI got my Smart in 2009 if the 4 was still available as I had them that would have been my choice of new car. Sad that they ceased production.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
We are off topic somewhat but the best car I even had was a Renault Savannah estate with 3 rows of seats. As smooth a ride as a Rolls Royce, comfortable, loads of space and completely reliable. The Laguna that replaced it was almost as good. But the Espace not so.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
My Suzuki car has a Renault engine - only had four major failures with it :banghead:.
I was struggling with that one until I Googled it - ah the diesel :worried::worried: Shame because Suzuki's petrol engines are little belters, especially the Swift Sport wot I had.

Anyway, as said, now we're right off topic ..................

The Renault 4 was much favoured by those who suffered back pain and worse, especially in its original iteration with canvas seating. Renault were the first manufacturer to ergonomically design a seat for each car - trouble often was that their innovation and reliability didn't go much beyond that.

The 7-seat Savanah - I hired one for a weekend, and yes, you got a lot of people in it and a wheelchair, but driving in the suburbs was like driving .................. well, I s'pose it was a bus :devil::devil:

Renault were the first manufacturer to launch a 5-door hatchback, the Renault 16, which came with column gearshift and suspension roughly similar to the old Citroen 2CV :clap::clap:

beachdonkey

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
I owned several Renault's going way back , a 12, 5, fuego, 25 and Grand scenic. The 25 was my favourite, super comfy. Maybe I was just lucky but all of them were reliable cars.

Hutch

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
My dear sweet wife had an 1978 R5 GTL. The roll pin in the distributor shaft was sheared. The rough ends would catch and keep it in time until it backfired when turned off. Then the distributor would be 180 degrees out of time and the engine not start. I could force the distributor bug around to where it should be, then it would run again until it acted up on shutdown. It took several of my friends and I a couple of months to find the sheared pin on the drive gear.

Sometimes the obvious isn't...

---Hutch

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
I was struggling with that one until I Googled it - ah the diesel :worried::worried: Shame because Suzuki's petrol engines are little belters, especially the Swift Sport wot I had.

Anyway, as said, now we're right off topic ..................

The Renault 4 was much favoured by those who suffered back pain and worse, especially in its original iteration with canvas seating. Renault were the first manufacturer to ergonomically design a seat for each car - trouble often was that their innovation and reliability didn't go much beyond that.

The 7-seat Savanah - I hired one for a weekend, and yes, you got a lot of people in it and a wheelchair, but driving in the suburbs was like driving .................. well, I s'pose it was a bus :devil::devil:

Renault were the first manufacturer to launch a 5-door hatchback, the Renault 16, which came with column gearshift and suspension roughly similar to the old Citroen 2CV :clap::clap:
My first one had Canvas Seats, very comfortable particularly on a hot day. The rear bench one was easily removable by taking out just one screw. My 0 Gauge Exhibition Layout all fitted nicely in the ensuing Van.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I think it was a Renault 4 my brother had, it was fine until driving down the motorway one day and the dash board mounted gear lever pulled out.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I think it was a Renault 4 my brother had, it was fine until driving down the motorway one day and the dash board mounted gear lever pulled out.
No problem - you're not going to be using it much on a motorway :shake::shake:

muns

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
I thought it was off topic with the Hornby/Lionel thing but Suzuki/Renault???? Come on, please try to keep thing relevant or things may just disappear! Start a new thread in an appropriate place if you must!