Piko BR 50 dissappearing coal

steinman

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
I've just watched this new video from Piko show casing their digital BR50, what was new to me was the coal level reducing in the tender as you run the loco, requiring you to stop and refill the coal. Is this a gimmick to far or a new addition that people will use , I've never heard of it before but no doubt someone will say its a common add on you idiot. The feature is described at 3:20, I like the loco but doubt i'd use this feature often

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
So far as I am aware it is a first, but another addition to the people that like to run a Railway like a real one. Dropping off the train to go to shed to top up coal that the real things gave to do, so why not our models? Mire of a useful feature than DCC Station Calls that are only for ine train and ine set if destinations, quite useless really and soon gets tiring.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Despite all the hot air he's talking, it doesn't seem to be using that much coal :devil: :devil:

Rhos Helyg Loco Works

Rhos Helyg Loco Works

Registered
What a bizarre thing to include on a model. It has to be remembered that a steam loco can travel several hundred miles on a tender full of coal. Here in the UK we used to have steam locos that would travel from London to Edinburgh, a distance of 400 miles, on a single tender of coal with no refuelling stop along the way and with a journey time of about 8 hours. The model seems to be using several factors of ten more than that.

If Pico had wanted to introduce a neat feature, why didn't they rig the sound system so that it gives a consistent four chuffs per driving wheel revolution, and not the seemingly random number the model seems to generate.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
If Pico had wanted to introduce a neat feature, why didn't they rig the sound system so that it gives a consistent four chuffs per driving wheel revolution, and not the seemingly random number the model seems to generate.
When it comes down to it, Bachmann's mechanical chuff switch gives a much more reliable method of synchronised chuffs :wasntme::wasntme:

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Sounds like Piko is trying to bring Märklin's "World of Operation" with consumable fuel, water, sand, etc. to large scale and taking it a step further.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
What a bizarre thing to include on a model. It has to be remembered that a steam loco can travel several hundred miles on a tender full of coal. Here in the UK we used to have steam locos that would travel from London to Edinburgh, a distance of 400 miles, on a single tender of coal with no refuelling stop along the way and with a journey time of about 8 hours. The model seems to be using several factors of ten more than that.

Not sure how many miles a 50 would do on a load of coal, perhaps someone monitored a narrow gauge loco that would of course do may less miles. All down to tonnage, distance and time engine in steam. In the older days on the Selktalbahn there was a Coal Wagon at Alexisbad where drivers used to top up with coal somewhat half way through their daily turn of duty on 99 6001 or one of the Mallets.

65 1057

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Concerning coal consumption:

With the right coal (not the GDR-Lignite) and a class 50 with a modern DR boiler equipped with pre-heater and burning chamber,
one coal load is more than enough for 4 round trips around Berlin, from and back to Basdorf ca. 350 km.
Water in the tender is the limit, especially when you heat a long train with steam...

1581445720933.png

Attachments

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
My late father-in-law ended up as a driver at Norwich. Before he was passed out from fireman he said he could shovel around 7 tons on a run from Norwich to Liverpool Street back in the 40s and 50s.

idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I think I would pass out after shovelling 7 tons of coal :)

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
My late father-in-law ended up as a driver at Norwich. Before he was passed out from fireman he said he could shovel around 7 tons on a run from Norwich to Liverpool Street back in the 40s and 50s.
And people wonder why some old railway men didn't mourn the end of steam.

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
I'm doing my bit for global warming - my BR50 doesn't use any coal at all. The tender is just as full as when I bought it.

Reactions: Paul M
P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
If you use M&Ms in a model tender for coal, they tend to gradually disappear too. :)

Reactions: mike
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I guess the effect has to be at an increased rate? - How many of us run our trains for anything-like a prototypical distance, at any one time?

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
London to Edinburgh, a distance of 400 miles would only be about 12 miles in the back yard. :nerd:
I think I need a bigger back yard!

Reactions: mike
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Lionel has an "O" gauge steam loco with the disappearing coal feature. I'll have to look up which one it is.

Reactions: tac foley
idlemarvel

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
I have vague memories of a Hornby OO DCC digital feature which monitored the fuel usage (coal or diesel) in a loco and alerted you when fuel was low. Only worked with Hornby decoders and their Elite command station. I can't remember if the info was stored in the command station or in the decoder, most likely the former. I don't know anyone who ever used it.