PIKO 218

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
As this forum os new and not much in the painting section, thought I'd post details of my latest paint job.

Some of you may have seen pics about of this already as it was unveiled at Marks running day. It the first major respray I had done on something that cost me more than £20 so I was a little wary.

I will post the pics with a brief commentary, for thhose who have never resprayed, I learnt many tips for this from the previos forum, so to celebrate I decided to give it a go.

For those of you who do not know this is a PIKO 218 and what it started like:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Ok first job was to remove decals, for this I used nail polish remover, (the acetone free one) tested on a small area inside loco to make sure it did no damage. Them used cotton buds and it came off in about an hour for the whole loco.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Forgot to mention in that last photo you may notice the windows look purple, that is because I coated them in Humbrol maskol, it is a type of liquid latex, paints on and dries stops paint going on windows. peels off after. Its great stuff. (though it smells like fish).

Any way after this its time for undercoat. I use halfords grey plastic primer. I have tried cheaper £1.99 primer from cheap shops on wagon paint jobs and found the finish a little worse so now pay a good price, and get a good undercoat. It amkes a difference.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Once the undercoat is dry, I masked the loco to paint the ends yellow. I learnt to alwasy paint lighter colours first. Also I used tamiya masking tape, as this stops the paint seeping under the tape.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Once the yellow was dry, I then had to mask that off, so as not to get any blue over it. Then sprayed the blue. I forgot to meention that I used Railmatch aerosols for this. paint job, they were good quality and a great likeness for waht I wanted.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Once the main base coats were done, it was time to peel of the maskol off the windows, I used a cocktail stick around the edge then it just peels away.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
After cleaning some of the edges of window frames where I had not gone over with maskol I added waterslide transfres. These are in guage 1 but that was close enogh for me. Hardest part here was the numbers were seperate and lining all of them straight was a pig.

still when finished it looked nice and I was plesed with the result. You won't see many german locos impersonating British, unless you come around to my garden, LGB LCE is on the to do list too.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Here it is in marks garden pulling 22 wagons. looking right at home.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Good article Dave. I wish I had the courage to repaint like that.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
:applause: it dose indeed look at home, top job that man!!! :D

Rich

Railways from model to 1:1.</br>T.V. - comedy, Doc
24 Oct 2009
Leicestershire
Best answers
That does look very good, the livery suits it gives it almost a mix of a 47, 31 and a 35 Hymek to my eye.

Netty

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leyland, Lancashire
Best answers
:) Brilliant

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Does indeed look very good.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
BR blue isn't my favourite livery, but it does sit well on the 218....

the mickster

garden railway,mtb,ufo's,my sons xbox when i get t
24 Oct 2009
Chesterfield
Best answers
that looks fantastic............

KleineDicke

Trains, trains, and trains. Oh, did I mention tra
24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
The results speak for themselves, but I'm curious - why did you mask the windows rather than remove them? I never did trust that paint on masking stuff.

robocop1976

Registered
26 Oct 2009
cheshire
Best answers
thats brilliant realy impressed you can paint one of mine ha ha

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
Firstly I masked windows as I could not get the windows out, PIKO seem to use good glue.

secondly I was asked about the BR blue paint, it was the railmatch blue enamel in aerosol format. for my diesel shunter I used the Pheonix precision. here they are next to each other. Unfortunately with flash photography it does not show the true difference so I'll re do in the garden if ir ever stops raining.

Dave Hub

everyting
26 Oct 2009
west mids
Best answers
took a couple more photos in the garden this morning, Firstly trying to compare the blues, still not happy the way the camera catches the shades. You'll have to take my word for it, (or see it in person) but the little shunter odes have a couple more shades of greeny/turcoise than blue.

Other photos just a couple next to other uk bashed rolling stock.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Great paint job Dave :clap: Looks abit like a Class 22 :thinking: