Open days and Some Mothers Do ‘ave ‘em!

KeithT

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Around a year ago I vowed that largely because of unsupervised kids I would not have any more open days. The final straw was a Sachsen kicked off the track and resulting in broken valve gear. It took me the best part of a year to source a replacement.
A short time ago and very much against my better judgement I was persuaded to have another open day, that was today.
Guess what? History repeated itself.
Firstly unruly kids, they are fine for a time then after around an hour and when parents have stopped monitoring them the aggravations begin, picking up and poking delicate static objects, adding them to the wagons, pushing locos with worm drives, kicking balls, lightweight thank goodness, across the track and rolling them down the track etc.
But, the worst was by an old biddy (I am older than her), despite notices saying “please, please cross the track only by the bridges”, and whilst virtually touching a footbridge she launched herself across the track just as the Sachsen with sound full on passed in front of her and punched it off the track.
Result. The exact same drop link smashed, the one on the opposite side knocked upside down and for good measure one of the front lights smashed off.
When I pointed out that the signs were there for a purpose she got shirty.
What did she expect, a round of f##### applause? :devil:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Well as clip round the ear would be more appropriate, but as she's not a minor, perhaps she'll pay for the damage

voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Registered
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Sorry to hear that. We stopped being involving our garden in our village Open Garden events with our previous house due to similar problems. Unsupervised children picking the flowers, walking across flower beds and knocking the hanging baskets to the ground. Adults coming up to us with bits of plants they have broken off asking "Is it all right to take this as a cutting?" One family arrived on bicycles (very green!!) and then proceeded to lean all four of them on a shrub in the front garden which was promptly flattened.

I hate people.

Paul

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Keith, I do hope that when you sourced the part previously, you had to buy both left and right?

I do have some motion spares here.. Post a picture, and will see what I have.

PhilP.

Reactions: KeithT
KentKeith

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Many times I get asked why I don't open my railway to the public ……. and my simple response each and every time is it's my railway for me and my friends to enjoy. I just don't want to suffer the aggro that KeithT had to suffer.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
I hate people.
The amount of ignorant and entitled self righteous brats out there is unbelievable. Their children are often no better. :worried:

Everything these days is happy clappy hands on interactive. Children often don't know any better. They learn their selfish ways from the habits of their parents. Gone are the days of 'look but don't touch' discipline.
Most spoil their children with disposable imported Chinese rubbish from big stores that cost not much more than a happy meal and think our trains are much the same. :banghead:

Last edited:
Reactions: beachdonkey
Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ

Plain English.......................................................................................​

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
It is a shame that we have to think of not showing off our efforts but the results speak for themselves. My line has all the neighbours round on Xmas Day to witness the Christmas Day Milk Train, as this is run by Live Steam there are just 20-30 minutes in the Garden so that ‘boredom’ threshold of the kids is probably not run into. Also helps that my line ins mostly above 3ft High so no places where kamikaze leaps across the Track are possible. As for the old buddy getting shirty, one would have thought that you Keith were the one to be entitled shirtyness. However it appears that in current times people have a great way of making their error to be yours, when did all that start I wonder?

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
As most of you know the CFR is open for public viewing. The railway is fenced off, despite this I have had children climbing over the fence, children leaning across the fence trying to touch the stock and some throwing stones. When I remonstrate with the parents I sometimes get verbal abuse and threats. Thankfully it’s not an everyday occurrence and the majority of visitors are well behaved and appreciated.

Reactions: Sean.
beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
My layout is very detailed with a lot of scratch built wooden buildings, some being pretty intricate so it is also pretty vulnerable.
I used to regularly open my layout to the local GSS (G Scale Society), in the early days, up to three times during the summer, and later once a year.
If children were brought, they were usually pretty well behaved, but on days where there was a larger crowd, the children would sometimes get a bit 'enthusiastic' after an hour or so had passed and the novelty had worn off.
Some adults had to be told more than once to watch for trains when crossing the line to get onto the lawn.
Thankfully nothing really bad happened which caused lasting damage, and it was a delight to see the kids being interested in something 'different' to their usual experiences (of course they may have a garden railway at home).

I did get a bit fed up with the effort needed for us to actually get our GSS 'open days' organised and set up (with copious home made cakes cream teas etc etc let alone making sure that the railroad (which, in part, runs under large bushes and trees) looked and operated at its best) and then find that there was no-one who offered to stay to help to 'tear' it all down again at the end of the day.

So I tend to now just have friends, neighbours and family over for social gatherings and to see the layout running as they, though not overly interested in the hobby itself, seem to take great interest and really take care about the layout..... Also, they help to put stuff away!

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
My deepest sympathies with all of you who have experienced problems with the hard of thinking, whatever their age. I can safely say that I have never experienced any such problems with my layout..... oh, hang on a minute.... I don't actually have a layout …. bugg bother it.

David

KeithT

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Keith, I do hope that when you sourced the part previously, you had to buy both left and right?

I do have some motion spares here.. Post a picture, and will see what I have.

PhilP.
Thanks Phil. That particular bit was v kindly donated by a fellow GScaler.
I am away in Scotland at present but I will post a pic of the newly broken bit when I get home.

KeithT

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
I feel like adding “Or else!”

Plain English.......................................................................................​

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Around a year ago I vowed that largely because of unsupervised kids I would not have any more open days. The final straw was a Sachsen kicked off the track and resulting in broken valve gear. It took me the best part of a year to source a replacement.
A short time ago and very much against my better judgement I was persuaded to have another open day, that was today.
Guess what? History repeated itself.
Firstly unruly kids, they are fine for a time then after around an hour and when parents have stopped monitoring them the aggravations begin, picking up and poking delicate static objects, adding them to the wagons, pushing locos with worm drives, kicking balls, lightweight thank goodness, across the track and rolling them down the track etc.
But, the worst was by an old biddy (I am older than her), despite notices saying “please, please cross the track only by the bridges”, and whilst virtually touching a footbridge she launched herself across the track just as the Sachsen with sound full on passed in front of her and punched it off the track.
Result. The exact same drop link smashed, the one on the opposite side knocked upside down and for good measure one of the front lights smashed off.
When I pointed out that the signs were there for a purpose she got shirty.
What did she expect, a round of f##### applause? :devil:
Sorry mate - lost for words :lipssealed::lipssealed::lipssealed:

KeithT

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Thanks Phil. That particular bit was v kindly donated by a fellow GScaler.
I am away in Scotland at present but I will post a pic of the newly broken bit when I get home.
Hi Phil. This is the broken link. A tad grainy but I think it shows up OK.
128102_bd5f58862a2fb096ec794e897e4b3b9c.jpg

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
I open our garden once a year for the 'village in bloom event'
I've had similar issues with plant pickers, unruly kiddies and even a couple of attempted thefts (Plants for sale for the local charity...)
The fact that I have cctv in the garden didn't seem to faze em at all. This years open day is coming up soon, so let's see if this puts the b**gers off any.
Paul.
128120_8e0721cdbdf5f00b51697b1ee76469f3.jpg

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
My line is open to members of the 16 mm NGM for our area group steam ups and if a neighbour pops their head over the fence (I'm surrounded on 3 sides) and shows an interest. I have shied away from our "annual village in bloom" for all the above mentioned reasons - plus one other. It has always struck me these sorts open days, where attendance is unregulated, are an excellent opportunity for some ne'er do well to case the joint for any opportunities. Sorry to wax so cynical. Max

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hi Phil. This is the broken link. A tad grainy but I think it shows up OK.
View attachment 254470
I had a similar break on my now sold Big Mallett. You could make up a partial replacement from Brass or Nickel Silver to fit on the screw left, longer so that it can be held on the remaining bit with a couple of very small BA Nuts and Bolts. Block out the thickness out to match with a Plasticard strip secured with Hafix and paint Silver. In normal use will hardly show. Mine was a different repair but I think you willget the idea from this pic.
128124_f58a71caa33a504d2b63fdf722945292.jpeg

Reactions: casey jones snr