OK so what have I done so far...

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I thought maybe I should introduce myself properly after popping up here recently!

Real name Ian, wife three kids, mortage busy job etc etc! Over the summer I decided rather than spending too much of my time in the pub with my mates I needed an additonal hobby (to the veg growing!) which was interesting for the kids, was out door and would capture my imagination. As a teenager I had an N gauge lay out, a RC 4 channel glow powered aeroplane, a mamod traction engine, RC race cars, and more recently have dabbled with RC Helos. Also (hope my current friends and colleagues don't read this) I spent alot of time on the end of platform 5 at Reading station when there were still some proper trains around!

So I had a little investigative (as far as SWMBO was concerned) trip to GRS and was smitten straightaway. Since then I have spent every spare hour working on the layout, mostly from second hand track and stock, building it to last, and reading Peter Jones book for advice. I have also made a serious hole in my savings, but hey what are they for!!??

So far I have a mix of scales (i think!) in stock that look OK together (sorry I don't care too much about realism if it "feels" good to me. After all what real train has 50m tall giants wandering around it and goes in cricles? :) The big thing for me is I want them to seem like they are going somewhere, sort of passing by.

Locos: a 1989 White Pass and Yukon narrow gauge diesel, an even older I suspect U Class LGB, a Lady Anne (I'm in love!) and a Western Playmobil track powered loco... OK that's my 5 year olds but I "borrow it" :) The Lady Anne does need two or three proper carriages behind it I admit, but the train fund has expired for now.

Track plan attached- sorry it's a bit poor but gives an idea. Phase one was the veg patch loop, phase two was the garage knock through. Here's a link to a view of phase 2. I have a lovely long straight. I know it's not the point but Lady Anne is very quick light engine (boy racer coming out!)....

Sorry for the ramble- felt I should open up a bit, rather than just being the recipient of great advice :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWIEC4f8WEE phase 2
If you look at my other vids you'll see phase 1

[attachment deleted by admin]

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i think you ve nailed mate, i call it rule 8.. :D

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Looks great Ian. Only one rule on this Forum - we have fun! Looks like you're well in tune. Got any pictures to post/ start an album?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like you have got a lot of things sorted there. Savings - now what are they (They are 'investments' now :) )
More picture please, we like pictures here. :D

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
LOL yes I have convinced this stuff can't lose much more value if it's already 20 years old! Investments... I like it. OK will get some stills at the weekend!

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
We like pictures a lot we do :)

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Nice long run you have Ian :applause:

Like your videos......serious S curve.... :thinking:
you may need to straighten a bit if stock starts to derail there.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yeh I agree about the s curves, was my first bit. I will replace that. However it does not cause any derail problems yet- but it is very "toy" like! The clip with the white pass, it clears it at that speed- but look like a fairground ride :)

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway - 4/11/2009 8:32 AM

Yeh I agree about the s curves, was my first bit. I will replace that. However it does not cause any derail problems yet- but it is very "toy" like! The clip with the white pass, it clears it at that speed- but look like a fairground ride :)

If it works for you carry on with it :D
Think s curves add some interest rather than having just bland curves and straights.
It's fine as long as we know the pitfalls.
I have s curves in my layout but made them just long enough so the longest stock
did'nt over span the curve.

Keep up the good work :clap:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Like the vid and there is operational interest - enjoy

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I don't know if you can tell from the video, but there is 6inch straights between the curves as I thought it might help somehow. Seems to have worked. Thanks for the comments.

BTW what does operational interest mean? I am guessing not that pretty yet but the trains run nice :D

Strategy at the moment is to get all the running ironed out and then think about some stations etc... may be tricky as I already have a jumble of locos/stock. It's big enough that I could perhaps have different continents at different ends :thinking:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway - 4/11/2009 2:41 PM

BTW what does operational interest mean? I am guessing not that pretty yet but the trains run nice :D

In laymans terms means you've got a few sidings etc so you can "play" at shunting and stuff rather than just watch trains go around (nowt wrong with watching mind).

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
When I first saw the video of your railway, it didn't go through the Garage?

Track extension already....

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yes phase two was a knock through into the garage! There is nothing that square even things like the raise beds that should be!