North Essex autumn/winter meet open day Sunday 15th October

• Thread starter beavercreek
  • Start date
Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
A good day was had (at least I hope it was) by all those who attended the Open Day - I certainly chatted to lots of folks both in and out of the hobby, and all seemed to go very smoothly. In the end I was kept so busy (and having so much fun) running the track-powered display layout - with much greatly-appreciated help from Chris Chick - that I didn't get the chance to fire up the Wonky, but towards the end of the afternoon I did let my track/battery "dead-rail-DCC" IVk loose on the Live Steam track once the Steamie Boys had finished making it all wet and oily, and I'm pleased to say that it tackled Bob's fiendish test gradient (set to something stupid like 12%...) with great gusto and nary a wheel-slip - even when pushing four or five very heavy little slate wagons ahead of it!

Many thanks to Stuart (Marshman), Gordon and the rest of the Essex GSS group for another very pleasant open day, good to see a few faces from GSC too.....

Jon.

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Spent a couple or three hours there and had a good time.

Even had a 'test' on Zerogee's layout!

My better half was impressed with the Harz Bulle going around R1 curves and points.

Looks like a trip to see the real McCoy could be in the offing....

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Spent a couple or three hours there and had a good time.

Even had a 'test' on Zerogee's layout!

My better half was impressed with the Harz Bulle going around R1 curves and points.

Looks like a trip to see the real McCoy could be in the offing....
Can thoroughly recommend the trip, Giz! We followed a lot of good advice from others here on GSC who had been before, and I'm happy to pass any of that advice on.

Watching the Bulle perform on the R1 curves (including the classic S-curve of R1 points) certainly shows off LGB's ingenious chassis design to ensure that it complies with their "Prime Directive", the R1 Rule! OK, it looks pretty silly with the MASSIVE overswing at both ends of the loco, but the fact that it can do it at all says a lot.....
The only trouble we had was coming off the curve from the fiddle yard/traverser, where the 2-10-2's back end swung out so wide that it actually fouled one of the coal wagons on a nearby siding; the lesson here is that if you must have R1 curves indoors or out, allow PLENTY of clearance (work out what you think you need, then double it!) if you think that you might ever want to run anything longer than a Stainz!

Jon.

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
Can thoroughly recommend the trip, Giz! We followed a lot of good advice from others here on GSC who had been before, and I'm happy to pass any of that advice on.

Watching the Bulle perform on the R1 curves (including the classic S-curve of R1 points) certainly shows off LGB's ingenious chassis design to ensure that it complies with their "Prime Directive", the R1 Rule! OK, it looks pretty silly with the MASSIVE overswing at both ends of the loco, but the fact that it can do it at all says a lot.....
The only trouble we had was coming off the curve from the fiddle yard/traverser, where the 2-10-2's back end swung out so wide that it actually fouled one of the coal wagons on a nearby siding; the lesson here is that if you must have R1 curves indoors or out, allow PLENTY of clearance (work out what you think you need, then double it!) if you think that you might ever want to run anything longer than a Stainz!

Jon.
Perhaps I should have brought my Mikado along - now that WOULD have looked silly! Liked the layout - so much so that I am now considering knocking up something portable to take to exhibitions or play with (sorry, I mean conduct test sessions) indoors when it's inclement outside.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Perhaps I should have brought my Mikado along - now that WOULD have looked silly! Liked the layout - so much so that I am now considering knocking up something portable to take to exhibitions or play with (sorry, I mean conduct test sessions) indoors when it's inclement outside.
A certain operetta from Gilbert and Sullivan certainly would appear out of place on any curves:cool:

ebay mike

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
A certain operetta from Gilbert and Sullivan certainly would appear out of place on any curves:cool:
Not necessarily - damned clever the Japanese.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Just like rural Suffolk as well.... Land of the 40mph Drivers...... you know them, the ones that just do 40mph EVERYWHERE, whether they're in a 30 limit or a 60...... I don't think their cars have accelerators, they have fixed-speed on/off switches.....

Jon.
Or a Smart Car and want to do 90MPG like me!
JonD

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
But how many"interesting" Big Red Boxes can you get in it?:giggle:
Now the front seat is out for Barney more than you would think.
JonD

Jonben

Jonben

Registered
23 Mar 2017
South Notts
I’m converting my Lumberjack to RC, any chance of photo of where you have fitted receiver and battery, any other tips would be helpful.

Thanks
John