No room to store empty boxes?

Jeff N

Registered
19 Feb 2019
Castro Valley, CA
What do you do with the boxes from engines and cars? So far, I have saved all of the boxes (all LGB at this point) but now have a storage issue. I don't have a lot of room. I keep thinking that I need them if I sell anything but I have never sold anything, yet... I was thinking about disposing of the car boxes and keeping the engine boxes. Is there a rule of thumb for this or am I just thinking too much... Thanks.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
You will always get a better price, if you want to sell and have the original box..

It also makes securely packing items less of a nightmare.

Loft? Eaves, if you have that style of building? Garage, rough-out some rafters across the garage, a foot or so below the roof. Slip some 8x4 sheets of plywood up there and store the boxes there. Not sure about your climate, or if you could use a crawl space, if you have one?

Greg? You about and have any suggestions?

PhilP

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I saved some boxes for locos, considering that I might have to return for warranty work, but now out of warranty, and shipping usually comes up with damage 1/2 the time, so this is my storage location:

I'm not selling my trains, and when I go, who cares if they have boxes? Many people used huge amounts of storage for empty boxes, I'm in a mild climate so boxes are just food for silverfish, and hiding places for spiders and mice.

The boxes take way too much room, and I do know people who take their trains in and out of the boxes but normally the abrasion on paint and details is not worth it. There are more compact ways to store trains, especially if you need to get them in and out easily.

Greg

Reactions: 1 users

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
If you do decide to get rid of your boxes, there is a market for empty boxes if in decent condition. Check out the auction sites to see what they may be worth.
Paul.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
my boxes ended up as substructures for buildings (i'm indoors)

Jeff N

Registered
19 Feb 2019
Castro Valley, CA
Thank you all. Very good suggestions. I do have some storage in a shed (near my layout) but it is now taken up by the engines and cars without the boxes for easier access.... I have been keeping most of the boxes in large plastic bins. My garage is full of "higher priority" items as deemed by the "better half". I have checked the auction sites but I will again. I live in a moderate climate as well. Spiders seem to love LGB... It may be time for a purge.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Burn them all, and use the heat to make tea....the real value is only in the equipment, and mostly the PLEASURE you get from it.

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
Staff member
GSC Moderator
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
To generalise slightly, my locos are all battery and r/c and are somewhat modified in appearance and grunged up. The collectors market, ie those who put a value on items that come with their original boxes only want items which are pristine and in original condition - not mine in other words. So my solution (living in a similar climate also) is the same as Greg’s.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
How about carefully making them flat?

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
The boxes can be made flat, but the foam inserts are the issue.

And often, any modifications to the loco or rolling stock require some modifications to the insert.

One famous one is diesels, most are shipped without handrails attached to avoid damage. Adding the handrails usually makes it so the loco no longer can go into the foam insert. Many a hobbiest has caused irrevocable damage to the stanchions when blithely putting their loco back in the box.

Greg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Thank you all. Very good suggestions. I do have some storage in a shed (near my layout) but it is now taken up by the engines and cars without the boxes for easier access.... I have been keeping most of the boxes in large plastic bins. My garage is full of "higher priority" items as deemed by the "better half". I have checked the auction sites but I will again. I live in a moderate climate as well. Spiders seem to love LGB... It may be time for a purge.

I know it means more boxes, but could you store your locos and rolling stock in "veggie" boxes (the large, open, stackable types) to create more space?
I have a loft full of empty boxes and all my stock (virtually) is in the veggie boxes. Must say though, that you need to label the box contents! I get two B'mann locos and tenders, or three B'mann J&S coaches in the said boxes. Just a thought.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have all the boxes that I got, fortunately they are nicely stored under the eaves in my loft. Too cold here in winter to over worry about silver fish and not damp enough either, though tha may sound strange. I have lived in a house with silver fish issues, it was a damp house and had lots of heat to try to keep warm in the winter. Though again boxes were stored in the loft but as it was barely insulated and got good airflow no silver fish issues in that loft. As for chucked boxed and yes I have thrown a few, mostly non LGB and where I have modified so much that the item would not fix the box anymore. But if storage is an issue I would categorise by value only keeping items with the highest value’s boxes.

On the resale issue I have sold on a lot of stuff via a retailer (Glendale) and the proprietor gave me a better rate if items were boxed as it made it easier for him if they were posted.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
if you have your stock out, ready for use, and you have the boxes, store the trains in the boxes when not in use? This should reduce required space by about 50%. Yes it can be an inconvenience.

i too am one that find the inclusion of a box important in buying used items.
personally, while i have about 20+ lgb items i bought used, no box, i have shelf storage for them. They are all “basic” , stainz, starter set coaches, postal wagons, us cabooses. These seem to tolerate handling well.
but my other trains stay in boxes unless in use. Right or wrong i think it protects from inadvertently damaging details.

fwiw, if you dump boxes, they seem to command enough $$ on ebay to sell.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
If my red (and yellow) box shelves are full I know it's time to sell something! :)

mrgreen123

Registered
24 Oct 2020
stirling,on, canada
As a dealer I collected every "special" toy the (JD) company produced. I put every piece of paper involved in the transaction the box and placed them in the crawlspace knowing they would be worth a fortune in the future. Small flood in crawlspace! As a side note the stuff I collected is actually worth less today than I paid for it 30 years ago. Stuff goes out of favour. There's a joke about, after I'm gone, my wife selling my trains for what I told her I paid for them.

pghewett

Registered
7 Jan 2010
Depends on the foam( as noted above) and the available room. I have replaced all the Brawa boxes with carrying cases, as the foam fitted so tightly to the stock that taking it in and out damaged it over time. There is also the question of speed of setting up. LGB packing has - over time - become clumsy, space consuming, and awkward to use, so I have placed all my recent bogie coaches in carrying boxes. If you are going to spend upwards of £300 on a coach, house it decently. I have also replaced all the TL45 and Kiss bogie coaches in carrying boxes, as the originals will not stack securely. Some locos have also been placed in carrying boxes as it is easier to remove them from the top rather than try and wriggle them out of polystyrene - motor coaches, especially. The net result has been to speed up the setting up process by about 30%. All this depends on the availability of carrying boxes; unfortunately, I have found that Locoboxes are wholly unreliable but it is a relatively simple job to make your own.