No lights on 36 Ton, 2 truck Shay

• Thread starter PC & BN Railway
  • Start date
P

PC & BN Railway

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Birchwood, Alaska
Lights do not work on Bachmann 36 Ton @ truck Shay; never have. Is there a switch to turn on and off? Also, is there a better electrical schematic than
what is in the owners manual? Not much to see there.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Assuming this is similar to the Climax, on top of the truck bolster is a spring loaded 'plunger' that feeds the lighting circuit. Mine failed on the Climax, spring lost its springiness.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Lights do not work on Bachmann 36 Ton @ truck Shay; never have. Is there a switch to turn on and off? Also, is there a better electrical schematic than
what is in the owners manual? Not much to see there.
Assuming this is similar to the Climax, on top of the truck bolster is a spring loaded 'plunger' that feeds the lighting circuit. Mine failed on the Climax, spring lost its springiness.
If that is the case with yours PC, perhaps a permanent wire of quite small section would replace the plungers. Certainly worth while if you can to test it out with a temporary jumper wire.

stevedenver

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Do the firebox and cab light operate?
If not, then you may have a blown circuit. These early versions did not have good high voltage protection.

I cant recall the level, possibly 18-20 volts, but at the level where the lights actually dim, the circuit canbe damaged. My firebox no longer lights. Perhaps this is the case with your headlight?

Unfortunately I have no solution for you, short of a new board, or testing each component.

Last edited: