Newquida G scale RC train - doea anyone know what scale it is?

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Before my relatives yell yippeee! and start to buy me pressies "G scale" does anyone know what scale the thing actually is? I'm thinking 1:22.5? I want to scratch build all my buildings, bridges, tunnels etc and want to get it right. I've searched everywhere and as a newbie quickly discovered that "G scale" isn't actually a standar scale at all...

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Hello Micky,

Welcome to the Forum..
I think you would be better informed if you told us a little where your interests lie?

What 'country of origin' do you want your line set in?
What era will your railway be set in?
Standard, or Narrow gauge?
What is your level of skill, at modelling?

We can then give you ideas as to what is available to you, and possibly save you going down the wrong track.. :):think::nod:

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
I'm a semi-retired electronics design engineer (70 now) more interested in control gear/digital/RC/programming/arduino/VB etc. I've bought a cheap Nequida train (faulty) with a couple of open trucks (so wife can send tea down to workshop) and some track with about 8 points for a circuit around our raised pond before it shoots off 40m down the garden to my workshop. I'm a very keen woodworker and have designed and built many things in oak so hope to use some of my expertise around the layout which is raised. I'm very logical so want to keep things to scale and am struggling to know what scale "G scale" really is! As my train is a "steam" loco I'm keen to model things on Welsh narrow guage rail and will probably have two stations - Welshpool and Llanfair Cerion. My train layout will have many bells and whistles to amuse the grandchildren! These will include animation (probably Windy miller and his windmill) and canal boats. Everything RC/computer controlled. I'll be ripping out the 27mhz in the loco and changing it to 2.4ghz. All the trains, points, lights etc. will be computer controlled with an app on a phone/tablet. Hope that helps and I hope I live long enough!

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I believe it is 1:22.5. It's exactly the same size as my LGB version. In fact, without closer inspection, you'd be hard pressed to tell which is LGB and which is NQD from a distance....

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Thanks Gizzy. Have you tried LGB rolling stock on the Nequida plastic track? Are the LGB couplings compatible with Nequida? I've attached my "around the pond and across the bridge" part of my layout. I struggled to get it to join up with limited track options (one curve and one straight and L & R points only. Had to make the purple bits by cutting and glueing the straights.
131786_296610b86d85c1bff921190a94b37769.jpg

Gizzy

Gizzy

Railways, Aviation, Caravanning....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I've never used the NQD plastic track, as most of my locos are DCC and therefore run on code 332 brass track (ART/LGB/PIKO/TL).

The only plastic track I own is Bachmann, which I use in my storage unit. This connects to the code 332 'main line'.

The NQD couplings are compatible with the ones on LGB/PIKO stock, albeit a little stiffer. I had a couple of the NQD coaches and wagons, most of which were either bashed or sold on.

The NQD loco is one of 3 battery locos I own, and it was originally purchased for me as a birthday present by my son.

The picture is of a Push-Pull coach I bashed from an NQD one, which I have since dismantled and used the under-frame for another project....

131788_edbe3731b89267bb8f9e53f7651f4091.jpg

Bill Barnwell

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Micky, most everything I build I scale at 1/2" = a foot give or take a few I believe in the 10' rule, just fun builds no rivet counter here, I use pola parts, playmobil, and pretty much anything I can get my hands on you would be surprised to see what you can find and use. Several bird houses out there that with a little enhancement work well, all the items shown below were made with "junk" the important thing is to have fun, Bill

Attachments

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Ah, the never ending story, "What is G scale". It ranges anywhere from 1:18 to 1:32. Depends on which manufacturer you go with. LGB uses a rubber ruler, just as Lionel has done for well over 100 years. Their narrow gauge stuff is basically 1:22.5. Some of their standard gauge, not to be confused with Lionel standard gauge trains, stuff is closer to 1:29. Aristocraft and USA Trains, are for the most part 1:29. MTH "One Scale" is more like 1:32.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I'm keen to model things on Welsh narrow guage rail and will probably have two stations - Welshpool and Llanfair Cerion.
So 'technically' you have two gauges / scales to choose from. :devil::devil:

Let us call it notionally a 'two foot gauge' prototype.. So as you are using 45mm gauge track, you are modelling to 22.5mm. to the foot.
Of course, the loco you presently have, is from a metre-gauge European line.

ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
A few years ago I bought a Newqida set with the steamer, two Christmas coaches and set of plastic track with points.

To be honest I've not done anything with the plastic track since an initial "play" when the set arrived, as my garden line used LGB and Accucraft brass track until taken up a couple of years ago. I'd say the plastic track is nominally the same as LGB R1 at about 2' radius curves. LGB stuff will run on it quite happily.

I would agree the loco is obviously German or Austrian metre gauge, at around 1:22.5 scale as has been said. Certainly not very Welsh! Nothing wrong with running whatever you like of course: my son has a mixed fleet of small scale narrow gauge 009/HOe, so his layout is assumed to be set on the Welsh/Austrian border :D :D

I "fettled" the loco, removing a few moulding pips to ensure good running, and replacing the weird blue LED lights with warm white. I also disabled the sound as it's just too toy-like for my taste.

The loco and coaches go with me to a friend's line who only runs battery power these days, indeed I ran it with a mixture of LGB and HLW wagons on his line just last Sunday. I have to say it's a useful little loco, it will easily run for the afternoon on its battery. The R/C is very basic, with a little bit of proportional speed control if you have good strong battery in the transmitter. I am tempted to fit better R/C though I don't want to spend a lot as it's such a cheap and cheerful model. I do sometimes also use the automatic run button and just let the thing go round and round for a while.

Here's a photo of a previous running session with the Christmas coaches :)

131802_9da743c8300ba61bbbac21c51ad99cc3.jpg

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Yes that's my train! I like the coaches but don't think they are now available. With a bit of work they could look a bit Welsh (as you say unlike the train - we went on the real one on holiday last week!). So if you decide to get rid of them let me know! Regarding the train you could rip out the RC that has a very limited range and replace with 2.4Ghz and I saw somebody say they had done it wth a kit from Hobby King (I've looked it up and it loks ok) for less than £30. I'm going to mod mine (prob not with the Hobby King kit as I already have a lot of RC stuff) so will let you know how I get on and I'll keep a note of what I do. I've just written the control software for all my points and signals and now waiting for the servos and control board to come. I'm making the signals (1:22.5) from 25amp black connector strip with insides removed on top of 8mm tube supported by ladders made from 16swg tinned copper wire soldered together. Made a jig for it on my CNC router. This is definately keeping me out of mischief!

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Micky, most everything I build I scale at 1/2" = a foot give or take a few I believe in the 10' rule, just fun builds no rivet counter here, I use pola parts, playmobil, and pretty much anything I can get my hands on you would be surprised to see what you can find and use. Several bird houses out there that with a little enhancement work well, all the items shown below were made with "junk" the important thing is to have fun, Bill
Your buildings look great! Will be pleased if mine turn out looking as good. Thanks for the info and advice.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Remember that the Welshpool & Llanfair is VERY Welsh, and they run a goodly amount of Austrian passenger rolling stock as well as a couple of Hungarian coaches, too. AND they ran 'Sir Drefaldwyn' - a Franco-Belge loco built for the Wehrmacht, for years, and will do again soon. Before that, even a forest lumber loco from the Jokioinen Forest Railway in Finland - 'Orion'. and 'Joan'......from a plantation in Antigua.

Basically, whatever fits your style is good.

131806_0f86b14eddd709f799be50a2d1f5cdee.png

131808_8343508f3574d65c5551f521168d0d15.png
131810_52d582261a824bd3f0e6d5cbb9b41bcf.png

131812_fbef8fac8906272d2aeddd51c6f7404f.png
131814_7f6d7c339d1dccd9ed128de3348335a6.png

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I'm keen to model things on Welsh narrow guage rail
I really don't want to cause uproar, but have you looked into 16mm Scale 1/19ish? This tends to have more British outline stock available.

M

MickyF

Registered
24 Aug 2019
Essex
Remember that the Welshpool & Llanfair is VERY Welsh, and they run a goodly amount of Austrian passenger rolling stock as well as a couple of Hungarian coaches, too. AND they ran 'Sir Drefaldwyn' - a Franco-Belge loco built for the Wehrmacht, for years, and will do again soon. Before that, even a forest lumber loco from the Jokioinen Forest Railway in Finland - 'Orion'. and 'Joan'......from a plantation in Antigua.

Basically, whatever fits your style is good.

View attachment 256322
View attachment 256323View attachment 256324
View attachment 256325View attachment 256326
Fantastic railway! The No 2 carriage is the one we went to Welshpool in and I read about the variety of rolling stock they have from the continent. Was a mucky weather day otherwise we would have been on our bikes. We went on the last train - attached a pic of Countess that pulled us
131832_9bec4199b99d6107ee57d7a43a2a58c4.jpg
!

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Yes that's my train! I like the coaches but don't think they are now available. With a bit of work they could look a bit Welsh (as you say unlike the train - we went on the real one on holiday last week!). So if you decide to get rid of them let me know! Regarding the train you could rip out the RC that has a very limited range and replace with 2.4Ghz and I saw somebody say they had done it wth a kit from Hobby King (I've looked it up and it loks ok) for less than £30. I'm going to mod mine (prob not with the Hobby King kit as I already have a lot of RC stuff) so will let you know how I get on and I'll keep a note of what I do. I've just written the control software for all my points and signals and now waiting for the servos and control board to come. I'm making the signals (1:22.5) from 25amp black connector strip with insides removed on top of 8mm tube supported by ladders made from 16swg tinned copper wire soldered together. Made a jig for it on my CNC router. This is definately keeping me out of mischief!
I put a pololu simple motor controller (Pololu Simple Motor Controllers) coupled with a HobbyKing Tx/Rx combo into mine and it runs just fine.
I used a picaxe based steam sound card following a tutorial by Gregh of Sandstone & Termite fame.
It is being considered by the Engineering Dept for a modification into a Garret using 2 Stainz motion works or maybe I might try to Australianise it.
I use the LNER (Looks Near Enough Right) scale when building my railway
Always remember that it is your railway and you can run anything you want (Rule 10), just make up a good back story to explain why a different piece of equipment is on the railway, if pressed.

Last edited:
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
A couple of points about Newquida Stock and Track. Having used the Stock I found that the Couplings were made of a very inferior grade of Plastic compared to LGB. Newquida Couplings while compatible in operation with LGB they do break, particularly the Hooks and Springs. Which is why in my existing Newquida Conversions all the Couplings have been swooped out for LGB ones. The odd left over unbroken bits were sold on EBay.

As for the Track there have been a few vids on YouTube of Layouts using the Track. I think that there has been talk of the Newquida Track breaking down outdoors with UV exposure.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
I really don't want to cause uproar, but have you looked into 16mm Scale 1/19ish? This tends to have more British outline stock available.
No uproar, or even tendency, since British outline NG and 16mm is synonymous.

But there is a world of difference between an Accucraft 'Earless' at £1250 or more, and a Neqida anything. Some people need to prioritise their spending habits.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
A couple of points about Newquida Stock and Track. Having used the Stock I found that the Couplings were made of a very inferior grade of Plastic compared to LGB. Newquida Couplings while compatible in operation with LGB they do break, particularly the Hooks and Springs. Which is why in my existing Newquida Conversions all the Couplings have been swooped out for LGB ones. The odd left over unbroken bits were sold on EBay.

As for the Track there have been a few vids on YouTube of Layouts using the Track. I think that there has been talk of the Newquida Track breaking down outdoors with UV exposure.
Yup, first it goes white, and it........goes..............................

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
No uproar, or even tendency, since British outline NG and 16mm is synonymous.

But there is a world of difference between an Accucraft 'Earless' at £1250 or more, and a Neqida anything. Some people need to prioritise their spending habits.
Very true. Like in all things, there's lots of consideration to think about