• CAN YOU ALL REFRAIN FROM POSTING POLITICAL STUFF, THERE IS NO NEED FOR IT ON A FORUM FOR MODEL RAILWAYS.
    I AND THE MODERATING TEAM HAVE BETTER THINGS TO DO THAN KEEP EDITING POSTS REMOVING REFERENCES TO TRUMP ETC.
    IF A POST GETS EDITED WITH NO REASON GIVEN ITS BECAUSE OF CONTENT THAT SHOULD NOT BET THERE.

PLEASE GIVE IT A REST - WE ALL HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO THINK ABOUT AT THE MOMENT.

Paul

New Warley MRC exhibition layout

AustrianNG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Of course, Engineer and Chainman, but you've forgotten about the cost and bonus surveyor, the quality checker, and then those who check the checkers.........................

and then I am reminded of the final stage of any project...........

Decoration of those who took no part :cool::cool::cool:

You’re showing your age Chuggy.
Laser station oppo and staff bearer. Surveyors are a mere facet of the Team.

As a professional project manager, I occasionally get the plaudits, except when the top brass take the decoration as you rightly say, after taking no part.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
You’re showing your age Chuggy.
Laser station oppo and staff bearer. Surveyors are a mere facet of the Team.

As a professional project manager, I occasionally get the plaudits, except when the top brass take the decoration as you rightly say, after taking no part.
I did engage a site engineer on one occasion who came on is own, complete with his computer on the tripod, and proceeded to set out the estate road in a day :clap::clap::clap:

A large number of our chainmen, when I was a site engineer, were Nigerians studying here for building qualifications and they worked hard and show inish :nod::nod::nod:

..................... but we are talking 1970 - 74 :eek::eek: :mask:

in 1975 I started as a trainee GF

Work for Laing but not for long was the motto :D:D

Reactions: AustrianNG
chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
05A5CEF2-AD03-426F-8CA2-FAD3490361B1.jpeg
20361449-292A-450D-8BA0-0A9BE6178009.jpeg
A0B389ED-C06B-499F-9388-ED60CAB9875F.jpeg
989C708A-F64D-47B0-8DF2-991D44ABFB5C.jpeg
Today was a new adventure for us. We took Hortus Halt to a fun day in a park in Bewdley. Had a great day in the glorious sunshine right next to the River Severn. Oh and saw a few trains on the SVR while running the layout.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
How did everything cope with the heat?

stockers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Locos and layout were fine but I’m not sure about the operators!

Perhaps the most amazing thing was that the layout managed to cope with the somewhat uneven ground. Now I know that a piece of grass next to a river is nowhere near as flat as any indoor floor. We had no running problems at all but there were a couple of strategically placed branches under the layout.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Yes, amazing how 'lumpy' a 'flat' piece of ground is!
Adjustable feet will normally cope in a building, but you definitely need packers for outside..

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
We were entertaining visitors to the Swindon Steam Museum model railway exhibition over the weekend. We call it our indoor garden railway rather than a model railway and concentrate on having fun. Thomas only comes out when there are youngsters about which at this show was most of the time.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
We were entertaining visitors to the Swindon Steam Museum model railway exhibition over the weekend. We call it our indoor garden railway rather than a model railway and concentrate on having fun. Thomas only comes out when there are youngsters about which at this show was most of the time.
The exploding wagon is great fun at shows. One year at a Swindon Show with a Garden Line Demo Reack we had a pain in the butt kidd that kepr touching things, pushing stuff off the track and generally making a complete pain of himself despite being ask not too politely many times. In the end I got the Exploding Red LGB Car out and gently shunted it to where he was looking for his next piece of mischief. Then next to him I shunted hard with the wagin doing its thing prompted by a serious me saying how he had broken my wagon. Exit child in near tears, never saw him again. Result.

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

... can Spring be far behind?
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Locos and layout were fine but I’m not sure about the operators!
Perhaps the most amazing thing was that the layout managed to cope with the somewhat uneven ground. Now I know that a piece of grass next to a river is nowhere near as flat as any indoor floor. We had no running problems at all but there were a couple of strategically placed branches under the layout.
Long years ago, our NTrak club set up a layout in a fairground outbuilding out in the backcountry. Gravel floor, very far from level. Fortunately there were some fairly massive lengths of lumber in the back of the building, so we laid them flat on the ground and shimmed up the layout that way -- a foot or more in some spots.

trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
I'm intrigued by the birds on the grass - they look so real!

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
FatherMcD

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Chris,

A question about the baseboard construction. It looks like you have built frames of thin plywood with ply crossmembers secured to solid wood corner blocks. But there are also screw heads down the edges of the frames. Are those attached to battens that support the foam top surface or do those screws go into the foam itself? Do you have a picture of a module without the foam installed?

Thanks for providing the photos and text, it does show the construction rather well.

Ken