New Warley MRC exhibition layout

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
I went to http://www.charlescantrill.com/shop/model-railway/cork-ballast/ . I drove over to them (less than 20 miles for me) and got a huge bag for £12. This bag has done the whole layout and we have enough left for an extension. Sorry but I cant remember what size I bought - possibly medium. Looking at their website they seem to be more into selling to railway modellers than they were when i bought my bag.

Reactions: trammayo
trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
I went to http://www.charlescantrill.com/shop/model-railway/cork-ballast/ . I drove over to them (less than 20 miles for me) and got a huge bag for £12. This bag has done the whole layout and we have enough left for an extension. Sorry but I cant remember what size I bought - possibly medium. Looking at their website they seem to be more into selling to railway modellers than they were when i bought my bag.
Thanks Chris - I'll have to contact them!

Neil Robinson

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Where would you purchase ground cork? That would be ideal as it wouldn't add too much weight!
Mick, in view of your location I'm surprised no joker on here has suggested that city on the River Lee! :D

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Mick, in view of your location I'm surprised no joker on here has suggested that city on the River Lee! :D
Ah, that infers a greater knowledge of the local geography, for somewhere I have only been the once..

I was told I was either brave, or stupid, as I was 'on loan' from the Mainland, driving a green Landrover, with the companies three-letter logo on the side..
The person who said the above, appeared from nowhere, when I was lost in the countryside.. He was in full camouflage, showed me where I was, told me where to go, and suggested strongly I should not be out later that evening.

Was, and still am, pretty ignorant of what 'The Troubles' were all about,
but found most people to be outgoing and friendly.. There were some I met who obviously had different views, but I was not really involved, being a 'Techie'..

Reactions: trammayo
trammayo

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
trammayo

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Quote; .... but found most people to be outgoing and friendly.. There were some I met who obviously had different views, but I was not really involved, being a 'Techie'.. Quote.

There's some very nice people and there are those that would have difficulty with winning an argument with themselves! Trust me - I have had to call the Garda before today - just google Irish Water (that isn't us - we're a Co-op!).

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
The new Warley club layout is now called Hortus Halt. Hortus, of course, being Latin for garden. After a successful two days at the Warley NEC show we are off on the road this year. We are at Solihull GSS show on 10th Feb, ack at the Warley club room for the open day on 18th Feb and at Large Scale Model Rail on 17th & 18th March. We will be at Swindon Steam museum in September and hope to be at the Birmingham model railway exhibition in October. We also have a couple of possibles for 2019 at the moment.

Here is the layout at the start of development.
IMG_1412.JPG

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
The station building is made from coffee stirrers
IMG_3670.JPG
IMG_3672.JPG

The noticeboard has since been updated to advertise the 2018 Warley show

IMG_3673.JPG

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
BF2D6453-2DBC-45A1-A27D-6219A461654F.jpeg
After we had a good day at the Solihull GSS Show last Saturday. This Sunday we will be running at the club open day.

simon@mgr

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
How many men does it take to survey......

trammayo

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
I was wondering how many bulls it takes to service......;)
(unless bullocks of course!).

AustrianNG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Children play trains.... Adults run trains.... Anoraks test trains.....

David
It seems I am all three - and furthermore, I don't care. :D

Reactions: stockers
AustrianNG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
At the moment, two, but once drones reach ever higher levels of sophistication, eventually none - not even a drone operator.

AustrianNG

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
An excellent layout (Just caught up with this thread).

Model railway exhibitions are very challenging - especially for G Scale with the sheer size of everything.........
Even a compact 009/HOe layout takes a lot of consideration to transport around and operate.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
The Parrry People Mover was a rather nice little rarely seen model. As for G Scale and other scale Exhibition Layouts, much of the time with good design and build it is not the Layout that is the issue. No all the other tat required such as Control Systems, curtains, lighting, tools for repairs and in G not least the space that all the stock takes (plus other stuff that I have ckearly missed out)! Reason my my giving up doing shows on a regular basis around 30 years ago or even at all now if I can get away with it. Which is difficult with some of my friends as they do appreciate someone that can operate a Model Railway without appearing like a child that has just been allowed through the door at a sweatie factory. Believe me there are a lot of those types around at shows. Of course there are also the types that just take it too seriously as well. Happy medium of running with dignity but having some harmless fun as well works for me.

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Glad you appreciate our little joke.

Despite all the supervision we do seem to have had a health & safety incident
91EA0FB5-9889-44FC-95AE-80ABFA87B387.jpeg

Those Bachmann figures don’t do well in an impact situation.

Visitors seem to like the layout and Understand the concept of it being an indoor representation of a garden railway rather than a model railway.

Reactions: simon@mgr and Gizzy
pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Did I spot a were-rabbit in a couple of those photos?

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
The rabbit is meant to be a full size dwarf rabbit. There are also some full size birds in the same area.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik (IBT)
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
At the moment, two, but once drones reach ever higher levels of sophistication, eventually none - not even a drone operator.
Of course, Engineer and Chainman, but you've forgotten about the cost and bonus surveyor, the quality checker, and then those who check the checkers.........................

and then I am reminded of the final stage of any project...........

Decoration of those who took no part :cool::cool::cool: