NEW MEMBER SAYING HELLO!

dlclarkii

Registered
26 May 2020
Lancaster, PA
Best answers
Country flag
New to G scale. Built my first outdoor layout last year. I wanted to share a few pictures of my new layout in Lancaster, PA. IMG_1705.JPG

IMG_1702.JPGIMG_1691.JPGIMG_1684.JPGIMG_1693.JPGIMG_1678.JPGIMG_1703.JPGIMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1707.JPGIMG_1708.JPG
IMG_7421.JPGIMG_7484.JPG

IMG_7539.JPG

That's my 2 year old daughter last year helping. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, bless! :)

Welcome to the Forum!
Interesting way of building the track-bed. - Would that be metal lawn-edging you have used?

Oh, you can go back to the first-post.. I think the spell-checker changed 'saying' to 'selling' in the title? - confused me a little. o_O

PhilP.

dlclarkii

Registered
26 May 2020
Lancaster, PA
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, bless! :)

Welcome to the Forum!
Interesting way of building the track-bed. - Would that be metal lawn-edging you have used?

Oh, you can go back to the first-post.. I think the spell-checker changed 'saying' to 'selling' in the title? - confused me a little. o_O

PhilP.

Yes, that's 5" lawn edging I bought at Home Depot. The best way I could figure it out without having a level area to build on. The grade slopes hence why I have a bridge on one end. I laid the entire piece and leveled it with a laser level. Then filled it with 1 ton of oyster shells.

My daughter loves trains. It's right outside her bedroom window.

I'm 40 and I've had HO and Lionels my entire life. I decided to get into G last year for my daughters enjoyment. It's been a fun learning experience.

I use a Control Master 20 transformer to power the train. I bought everything second-hand piece by piece on Ebay and Craigslist.

I have a much larger G layout indoors in the basement running on the floor with a LGB C&S mogul pulling Bachmann freights cars.

IMG_1736.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the mad house, some of us do not take ourselves or others too seriously. Just enjoy the trains.

dlclarkii

Registered
26 May 2020
Lancaster, PA
Best answers
Country flag

I added the chicken song to this keg car. Bought the sound card and speaker separate from the LGB chicken box car :) Upland trains had one for sale. Kick start it with an external 9V battery and the internal 9V battery keeps it playing. Installed LGB contact wheels to power the sound from the rail. The external 9V battery powers the rails when on display.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, all of you. I do like the keg car!

dlclarkii

Registered
26 May 2020
Lancaster, PA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you!

This is the only thing I bought brand new, Piko 0-6-0 switcher. May invest in DCC for this loco later. Right now I'm using a Command Master 20 that's pure DC to protect the delicate circuits. Piko has a NYC Mogul available this September.

I do not like the loco to tender connection. I prefer a cable and not a plug. The plug broke and I had to send it to San Diego to be repaired. Repair cost and 3 months later I got it back repaired. Was out of warranty. Bought it has a hospital charity auction last year.

IMG_1759.JPG
IMG_1766.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1758.JPG
    IMG_1758.JPG
    846.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Appropriate... For a Wednesday! ;)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum to you both.

I do like your idea with the lawn edging....

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
That plant in the fifth pic... with that mass of pink flowers. Love it! What is it?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Lovely garden setting for your railway. Nearly all children love railroads in some shape or form I have found.

I'd like some detail of your (bigger) indoor layout if you have some to hand.

dlclarkii

Registered
26 May 2020
Lancaster, PA
Best answers
Country flag
That plant in the fifth pic... with that mass of pink flowers. Love it! What is it?

Wine & Roses, blooms every Memorial Day.

Reactions: 1 user