New Locos for under $100?

J

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
Are there any new locos of decent quality available for under $100? I am. looking for a complete and unused loco, not a motor block or a used loco. I am very familiar with the Hartland Mack, so any other locos that anyone knows about would be very much appreciated.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
That is a big ask even in the smaller gauges these days. You might like to look at the New Bright Battery Sets if they are still available State Side, though Battery they can make pretty good reliable Trains. Other similar offerings may be available, mostly somewhat Toy Like but very usable. Just make sure of the Track Gauge before you buy.

J

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
Thanks all for your suggestions. It certainly is a tough proposition to find a good new loco less than $100. I like to go cheap if the quality is decent enough. It thrills me more than buying more expensive equipment. Toy - like is better in my opinion. Less to get damaged in the event of an accident, and just as sturdy (hopefully).

Last edited:
P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
If you can stretch the budget to US$120 the Newqida Harz engine has sound and is already remote controlled.
Hammond Toys are the go in your country.
NEWQIDA - page 1

J

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
Thanks Paradise, but I think I'd prefer something with metal wheels if I could. I think it would track more smoothly.

Last edited:
Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
I know you've specifically asked for NEW locos, but with a bit of searching and some patience you should be able to find a good condition second-hand LGB Stainz for round about the budget you're looking at.... and it will give you much better and longer service than any toy-type new loco you might find for similar money!

Jon.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
I know you've specifically asked for NEW locos, but with a bit of searching and some patience you should be able to find a good condition second-hand LGB Stainz for round about the budget you're looking at.... and it will give you much better and longer service than any toy-type new loco you might find for similar money!

Jon.
I'm surprised not one of us thought of the Stainz.....:wondering:

korm kormsen

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
I'm surprised not one of us thought of the Stainz.....:wondering:
must be, because he insisted on new for under hundred.

jlol,
i'm afraid, you'll have to name your layout "Mackline" or similar.
new - under hundred - no plastic wheels - not just a motorblock ... in the largescales the prices have run away from that level.

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Ok, you are not fussed about scale accuracy but I, like many others, think buying cheap in this hobby is a false economy - "Toylike" does not mean it's robust. Even good long lasting toys, those not subject to crippling "tie-in" fees to the manufacturer like Thomas the Tank Engine, come at a price. I prefer getting value for money. I.E. from an established reliable product line, and if 2nd hand, with some provenance. Like buying a car a lot of product in this market suffers an immediate depreciation once it's taken out of the box and run even just a little bit. No need to suffer those depreciation costs yourself as buyers on new product will do to some extent. As Greg and others have intimated look for good honest deals on proven 2nd hand products and benefit from that inevitable depreciation factor.

And be prepared to budget a little more or be a little less rigid in your outlook. You might be in this hobby for the long haul or may want to sell up sooner rather than later. In both cases you are either going to want stock that will perform with minimal maintenance for some years or something thats value will not crash like a stone so you can recover a good proportion of your outlay. "Cheap" rarely if ever does either of those. Think in terms what the total cost of your railroad infrastructure and other stock is/could be and what that loco(s) represents as a proportion. Your locos are at the heart of your enjoyment of this hobby, don't stint on that cost. Max

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
I agree that a second hand Stainz or other common LGB locomotives are the best value for little money. German built from quality components and engineering plastic.
I'm amazed how a well looked after and infrequently used LGB locomotive several decades old can often be cleaned up to virtually new condition.
Many of them have only done laps around the X-mas tree for a few years then put back in the box when the kids lose interest.
The chrome wheels with very little or no wear is the best indicator.
The 'Americanized' Stainz with steel rods with no tender is often a good deal even though they are now over 20 years old and sometimes never used because their powered tenders were sold off long ago. They were also without tenders in starter sets. No specific prototype but are similar to some and good bash fodder. Same motor block as a Stainz. Available in Split and bottom cover motor blocks.
Perhaps more or less the same cost as a Newqida but will last 10 or more times longer with parts abundant.

LGB 2017 and Powered Tender Tips

Last edited:
Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
must be, because he insisted on new for under hundred.

jlol,
i'm afraid, you'll have to name your layout "Mackline" or similar.
new - under hundred - no plastic wheels - not just a motorblock ... in the largescales the prices have run away from that level.

Good point Korm.

J

JLoll

Registered
1 Apr 2018
On the Moon
The quality of cheap varies greatly. The original r/c big hauler was referred to as junk, while the mack is known to be bullet proof. Yes, most of the items in the range I am looking are junk, but not all. No doubt a good used loco would probably be the best option, but I have a thing about used locos. Unless they have been barely run, I won't jump on it. It feels uncomfortable to me to know that someone else has run my engine. I guess I like to have control.

Don't mistake my specifications for not being interested in quality. I have more expensive engines in my small fleet. I don't have a lot of money, but I try to get the most bang for my buck. I have looked for quality locos found the best prices, and payed the lowest price on the market for them. and they have all been over $100.

The underlying moral is that I just wanted to see if there was a loco that was in the same price range and had similar quality as the mack. If no such loco exists, then I will buy a mack. I want a loco that I don't have to worry about breaking off detail parts, getting scratched, derailing, and flipping on it's side from time to time.

(I am not familiar with the lil big hauler, but I will ask around.)

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Also, the LGB 'toy Train' range including the Porter saddle tank and European 'Otto' are nice little locomotives but are only good for very light duty with 2 or 3 small cars because they have a smaller motor compared to a Stainz.

JimmyB

JimmyB

Phase 1 complete, roll on Phase 2
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
I have all three of these, i.e. the Otto, Porter and Stainz, and they are all good little engines in their own right, though as pointed out the Stainz has better pulling power.

P

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
The 'Little Big Hauler' comes in a saddle tank or a plain boiler with a tender. Fairly robust on the outside without bits to break off. They have a basic motor with chunky gears so only little haulers. They have no con rods.
About 1/24 like the Mack.