New layout for the RTM (STM?)

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Liters of sweat, numerous hour of labour and sour muscles have finally brought me to the point I can actually start thinking about the new layout in our garden! I just bougth a batch of goooood tracks (lots of 1,2 meter!) and I just wanted to share with you how happy I am. I think this batch, combined with what I already had, will be enough to make a new layout, tram like. Well, Dutch tram that is, so countryside.

122E0169-B9F3-47E4-BEE1-7E8973CD8AF0.jpeg

And this is the available area.

B86F46A3-A8BA-43B1-BC89-DC0FDF2D5595.jpeg

The plan is to run a ‘circle’ around the small tree in the right part of the picture, between the path(s) and fences, and an ‘end to end’ line across the wooden dirt wall. Of course incorporated with each other, sharing the stretch across the dirt wall. Small station in the far left corner and in the right corner. I think that will give nice opportunities for running some interesting trams!

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yah!
Another 'adventure' from Henri to follow..
:):nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to the build, hope the tracks will run to the shed. Will make setup much easier as stock can be kept in shed with expensive long hour built locomotives stored securely in house. Oh the house, looks lovely.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That's a great purchase of track, Henri - looks to be in decent condition, and I see you've got a tub of railclamps with it as well? :)

Jon.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Yes the things disappear on contact with track. I bought a 100 just before our forum purveyor of all things Massoth ceased trading for my loft layout. Only used them each end for the fiddle yard and passing loop (which is all LGB R1) plus curves but they have nearly all been used. Though there were a fair few points involved.
Yes another batch of Massoth clamps. Can’t have enough of them!

thanks guys!

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
I plan to use as much 120 cm straight and semi-flex straight as possible. Last nights haul includes a lot of 60 cm track connected with RVS screws through the fishplates, basically making them 120 cm track. I have to test the conductivity of these RVS / fishplate connections before installing of course.

And then I just might not use track power at all and start RC/battery conversion... Not sure yet...
Maybe track power is 'visitor friendly' when friends come over to run their trains. Which is definitely something I want to host in the near future.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I plan to use as much 120 cm straight and semi-flex straight as possible. Last nights haul includes a lot of 60 cm track connected with RVS screws through the fishplates, basically making them 120 cm track. I have to test the conductivity of these RVS / fishplate connections before installing of course.

And then I just might not use track power at all and start RC/battery conversion... Not sure yet...
Maybe track power is 'visitor friendly' when friends come over to run their trains. Which is definitely something I want to host in the near future.
Yes but battery is so much easier, impress your friends with the quality of running with all battery power. They will join you pretty quick or likely all have at least one battery powered loco to come visit.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
I knew I had started a thread about the new layout somewhere..!

Today (COVID…) I managed to do some ground work on the layout. And I did some testing to see how I could mimic some of that incredible nice tram layout.

EA559B1E-DE0A-4B55-87AA-30E06B156EB0.jpeg
The idea….

84C57B28-5FF1-4AE6-AE5C-CA4A07F9D0CD.jpeg
Done with R1 points…. Not to my tastings… As with my previous layout I don’t want to have parallel tracks for sidings. Better use R3 points as these have a smaller angle and give more room to play with off angled tracks.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Agree with you that R1 points are not that pretty, but with Trams I think they look just right. But not so sure about the RTM as though it was in many respects a Tramway much of it was very Railway like.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Best answers
Country flag
I found some life energy to restart the building of my tramway. It was unintentionally wise to leave the brickwork for almost a year unattended. It did settle a lot, so much that I will not rely on it on the side of the garden. It is already sagged so much it can be measured in centimeters. The plan is to put poles in the ground and to put composite planks on it. Even may try to make something that looks like a dike with artificial grass if I can get something that looks proper in G Scale.

The bricks in the rest of the garden stayed in place. I covered them with concrete, after putting a plastic edge around it.
IMG_8688.jpeg
The brickwork

IMG_8690.jpeg
Concrete on top

IMG_8691.jpeg
Other side of the line

IMG_8894.jpeg
On a local trading site someone listed 15 meters of flex rail for Euro 100,- I didn't hesitate and now it's mine. Unfortunately the seller cleaned the tracks with a rotary sander so the top is pretty damaged. But with my battery/RC powered setup, it is no issue to me.

IMG_8899.jpeg
I think I have enough track & points now... I think...

It is fun fiddling again.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Henri,
Nice that you have found the railway again. We have missed your excellent modelling.

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It is good to see you back, Henri. You already have my interest as to what's coming next.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Good to see you back Henri Henri , you are making a good start to building your new line. Look forwards to seeing process knowing your skills. Steam Trams are one of my many interests though as you know my Harz interest has few options for that other than for non prototype running sessions, indulged in now and again.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to see you back, though I am not sure about the thickness of the concrete, where I have blocks covered with concrete to make them level, in places it has cracked and lifted.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Henri, don't feel bad about the blocks having settled. We are all too eager to get things done, and any built-up, or heavily disturbed ground will settle. - This seems to be what puts some people off? After the first winter, they realise their lovely level track, is all over the place, and get disheartened.

Your ground will (hopefully) have done it's major settling, so a bit of ballast-packing should deal with seasonal movement.

Bet you will be glad to get some track back down?

PhilP

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Pleased to see you about again Henri!

I look forward to seeing your railway progress....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, the garden moves and settles - I went for lightweight construction knowing that, from time to time, I'd have to lift a little bit, re-level it and so on.