New GRS book, and GartenBahn Profi translations question....?

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
A slightly odd one, this.... on my visit to GRS today I picked up a copy of the new book that they have recently published, "A Down To Earth Railway" by Roger Mannion (wasn't he the Leader of the Opposition in "The Thick Of It"?* :D )

Anyway, I've had a quick squizz through the book - I may do a brief review once I've had the time to give it a better look - but one particular thing caught my eye in one of the appendices. There is a (non-exhaustive) list of Garden Railway magazines in the back, with most of the usual suspects, which includes GartenBahn Profi (GBP is the only German language mag that gets a mention in the list, maybe they are unfamiliar with Gartenbahn, Volldampf, Spur G and others...?). Now, the interesting thing that I spotted in the list was the following phrase:

"Gartenbahn Profi Magazine - German Language but English Translations available" (italics mine)

I've been subscribing to GBP for several years, and I've never been aware of any English translations of the magazine text being available, officially or otherwise; indeed if they exist, that is something that I'd be VERY happy indeed about, as there bis only so much that I can glean from my very limited German and looking at the pictures!
I did a quick Googly search for any such translations but didn't turn up anything useful; so, does anyone know anything about this? Are there some translations available somewhere on t'interweb that I'm missing, or is the statement in the book simply wrong?

Any (relevant) suggestions welcomed!

Jon.

* Just remembered that the character was PETER Mannion, played by ROGER Allam, hence my confusion... ;)

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
They say they SOME translations in a PDF format,checkout their website

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
They say they SOME translations in a PDF format,checkout their website
I'd already had a look, and must have missed it, Paul - any chance of a specific link to what you found, please?

Jon.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
I'd already had a look, and must have missed it, Paul - any chance of a specific link to what you found, please?

Jon.
I'll try, but I'm pretty useless at that sort of thing! Basically the text was as I wrote in the post.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
I'll try, but I'm pretty useless at that sort of thing! Basically the text was as I wrote in the post.
Thanks Paul, any help would be appreciated - I'd just like to know where you found it, as I've looked through the GBP site again and can't spot it.

I did once email GB Profi and ask them about English translations (some years ago), giving the example of the French narrow gauge modelling mag Voie Libre - which now has an actual printed English edition, but previously issued an online PDF of the English text for each French issue that they published. I did get a response from GBP about it, but they said they didn't think it would be worth them doing. I guess they know their market better than I do, but I still can't help thinking that the potential market from the English-speaking parts of the world (or, basically, all the non-German-speaking parts) would make it worthwhile for them....?

Jon.

wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Last edited:
P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Sorry, I've tried, but unable to it! The address I put into the browser is GartenBahn Profi English translation. Theres another link at the bottom, a Union Flag appeared on mine. I hope this helps

wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
see above bottom of page.

For reference if you need to find something, google can also search a website for that word in this case “English” as shown below.

just type the full web address in the google search bar flowed by the word.

1599825413197.png

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
How did you do that?

dutchelm

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
There were regular translations from Eastern Mountain Models but they dried up many years ago. I think the translators were pixxed off with nitpickers of the translations

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Thanks both Paul and Wandgrudd - I've got a little bit further thanks to your help, have found the mention of it on the GBP site as per your suggestions, but I'm afraid I'm not getting any further than that.... clicking on the link on that page of GBP just takes me to the home page of Eastern Mountain Models (and copying/pasting the full link just seems to do the same), and from there I still can't find anything about GBP on their site... sorry if my Internet-fu is particularly weak today, but I'm just not getting anywhere! :(

All jolly frustrating, knowing it's out there somewhere and not being able to get to it!

Jon.

wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
There were regular translations from Eastern Mountain Models but they dried up many years ago. I think the translators were pixxed off with nitpickers of the translations

Doing a bit of google hunting I think that Axel Tillmann may well be something to do with www.trainli.com or at least that’s what it looks like, I can find Axel on mylargescale.com ( LGB/Maerklin V200 recall - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums ) with a trainli logo in his profile and trainli seems to be owned by a Joane Tillmann (The TRAINLI History), now unless this is a huge coincidence I can’t see that there can be many people interested in g scale with that name so this may be a avenue to go down?

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex

Thanks Mike - bl**dy typical, isn't it, give people something useful free of charge, and they still feel the need to pick it to pieces, thus ruining it for everyone else - still, I suppose the nitpickers have to prove to everyone just how "clever" they are.... :mad::mad::mad:

Ta for the info, I guess that explains why I can't find anything about GBP on Eastern Mountain's site.

Wandgrudd, thanks again for your continued detective work - but if the translators have already been put off the whole project by ungrateful idiots, I'm guessing they've probably lost interest in it altogether.
Ah well, back to either running bits of the text through Googly Translate - or better still, improving my own German! ;)

I still enjoy looking at the pictures....

Jon.

wandgrudd

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Thanks Mike - bl**dy typical, isn't it, give people something useful free of charge, and they still feel the need to pick it to pieces, thus ruining it for everyone else - still, I suppose the nitpickers have to prove to everyone just how "clever" they are.... :mad::mad::mad:

Ta for the info, I guess that explains why I can't find anything about GBP on Eastern Mountain's site.

Wandgrudd, thanks again for your continued detective work - but if the translators have already been put off the whole project by ungrateful idiots, I'm guessing they've probably lost interest in it altogether.
Ah well, back to either running bits of the text through Googly Translate - or better still, improving my own German! ;)

I still enjoy looking at the pictures....

Jon.
Jon,

Not sure how you do the translate function yourself but I didn’t realise until recently that for printed media like magazines etc, you can use the google translate app on your phone (ios or android) and take a picture of the page it then translates it for you (most of the time or at least good enough for you to get the idea), without having to type it out (which was the old method I used to use)

Andrew.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Jon,

Not sure how you do the translate function yourself but I didn’t realise until recently that for printed media like magazines etc, you can use the google translate app on your phone (ios or android) and take a picture of the page it then translates it for you (most of the time or at least good enough for you to get the idea), without having to type it out (which was the old method I used to use)

Andrew.

Thanks Andrew! I was vaguely aware that function existed, but have never tried it - I use Google Translate on my computer, but haven't got the app on my phone, will have to download it and give it a go....

Despite being a lifelong Science Fiction fan, now that all these things we read and dreamed of are actually becoming real I increasingly feel like I'm stuck somewhere in the late 20th Century! ;)

Jon.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Further to previous, Andrew, I've just tried it (Googly Translate via the camera on my phone) out for the first time and it certainly seems to work - it'll take a bit of practice to get the hang of scanning and highlighting each relevant chunk of text on my phone, but once that is done it seems to handle even the technical stuff pretty well!

Though it would still be nice (and much faster) to be able to just sit and read a translation of a full article that somebody else has done, this is most definitely the next best thing - many thanks for the suggestion. :)

Jon.

Railfan

Railfan

Registered
17 Nov 2009
Northern California, USA
Years ago we had a yearly Big Train Show in Ontario, California, USA, and I believe that the last show was in 2014 or 2015. Axel and Joane Tillman had a booth for TrainLi as one of the exhibitors most years. I have purchased a number of items from them including a very good rail bender. They were very helpful and easy to deal with. At that time, both Axel and Joane seemed to run the company together. A clothing line was also sold at their booth under the name "Train Babe" and, as I remember the t-shirts always seemed to sell out. They were quite rememberable. :)

I ran into Axel about four or five years ago at a convention and he was concentrating on a different business while Joane was running TrainLi. I no longer have any contact information for him, but you might try sending a message to info@trainli.com .

[Off topic] Axel was also a remarkable chief from a previous life.

Good luck.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Do they do a digital subscription to the magazine?

Once you get a 'machine readable' copy, Gooley-translate, should be able to munch through the whole thing for you? :nerd:

PhilP.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
George, thanks for the info!

PhilP, good thought, that had vaguely crossed my mind... but I've had a look and I can't see any reference to an online version on the GBP site - there are a few selected articles available in PDF form, so I could try downloading and translating one of them, but I couldn't find anywhere to get a PDF of the full magazine.

Jon.