New blog post - planning a garden railway

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Hi Folks
My railway modelling, forum posting and blog posting has been dormant for a while, owing to other commitments (you know, family, daily life, etc.). I have, however, been finishing off a blog post which I have had on the back burner for some time - a post on how to plan a garden railway.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2018/1 ... ilway.html

I'd be interested in feedback from experienced modellers such as your good selves. I'm aiming at those who are thinking about taking the plunge but are not quite sure where to start. Have I missed anything? Am I stating the bleeding obvious? Am I being too patronising?

I'd like to include a few more photos or video clips, so if anyone has some to offer (due credit given of course), then I'd be grateful. I have mentioned a few of you and your efforts either directly or indirectly - so if you want to suggest links or images to support those bits, I am more than happy to credit you.

Thanks in advance.

Rik

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Hi Folks
My railway modelling, forum posting and blog posting has been dormant for a while, owing to other commitments (you know, family, daily life, etc.). I have, however, been finishing off a blog post which I have had on the back burner for some time - a post on how to plan a garden railway.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2018/1 ... ilway.html

I'd be interested in feedback from experienced modellers such as your good selves. I'm aiming at those who are thinking about taking the plunge but are not quite sure where to start. Have I missed anything? Am I stating the bleeding obvious? Am I being too patronising?

I'd like to include a few more photos or video clips, so if anyone has some to offer (due credit given of course), then I'd be grateful. I have mentioned a few of you and your efforts either directly or indirectly - so if you want to suggest links or images to support those bits, I am more than happy to credit you.

Thanks in advance.

Rik

Had a quick look at your blog, Rik. I think it is laid out well with excellent headings to catch one's eye. I've added it to my bookmarks. The big question, however, is how to get the blog noticed by garden railroader wannabes or even those who may have just a memory of trains in their childhood.

65 1057

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
I wish I had read this article earlier when I started... Thank you for the very structured approach!
Because you asked - here just a few thoughts on how my layout has evolved over time - and it is still far away from being optimal and satisfying.

We talk about garden railways - so the first question for me is: Is my garden already in it's desired final shape, and do I have an idea how the garden will look at the end ? I had to remove over the years many trees and had to move several bushes. As a consequence I had to re-route the track, which is time-consuming and very unsatisfying.

The second question has to be clarified with family members: How much change in the garden is allowed, how "visible" can the trackwork be? A raised track was simply not wanted in our garden, and even buildings are considered as garden gnomes. They will be installed only during operation days...

Third question: Whatever I model - do I have enough creativity to pursue a particular path which leads to the desired result? If I model a prototypical situation just in 1:22,5, then it's easy. I have to confess that for me the full picture is still not yet 100% clear. Yes - narrow gauge, wood and passenger transport, but then... something is missing.

Maybe that's why the famous swedish furniture shop does not offer just single seats and tables - they develop "idea worlds" and make suggestions how e.g. your living room could look like incl. curtains, plants, lamps, decoration etc. So you have first the full picture on hand and can then decide what you like and what you want to realize in a different way.

What do you think about developing in a similar way a "garden railway idea world", covering typical topics like
> key elements of a small terminus
> details around a steam loco shed
> basic principles for transporting goods (chopping trees -> saw mill -> factory / customer)
> how can rocks look more realistic

This would help not only the starters to reconsider their own garden railway concepts.

Andreas

Reactions: Henri and ge_rik
GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
Had a quick look at your blog, Rik. I think it is laid out well with excellent headings to catch one's eye. I've added it to my bookmarks.
The big question, however, is how to get the blog noticed by garden railroader wannabes or even those who may have just a memory of trains in their childhood.
How about iisting them in the resources section so that new comers and experienced modellers can find articles/ follow blogs etc, or possibly making a FAQ section in there.
I have seen a another site that does an articles section, but that would be the decision of the site administrators.
Personally I have Rik's blog, the Wetton Gooey railway and Sandstone & Termite saved as bookmarks for inspiration and the article.
Having easy access listing to these types of resources would make a newcomers life a lot easier and maybe they would not be tempted to give up in frustration when they cant find the things they are searching for.
Food for thought.

Reactions: ge_rik
ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Had a quick look at your blog, Rik. I think it is laid out well with excellent headings to catch one's eye. I've added it to my bookmarks. The big question, however, is how to get the blog noticed by garden railroader wannabes or even those who may have just a memory of trains in their childhood.
Hi Dan
Thanks for the feedback. I don't think there will be a problem in people finding the post. The most popular post on my blog is the one about "How to Build a Garden Railway", with 30 000 hits, so I'm hoping the planning entry will come up when people search for garden railway planning etc.

Rik

113321_20f8a890ac6698a7d3c16a948abaf1b1.jpg

Reactions: Madman
ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
I wish I had read this article earlier when I started... Thank you for the very structured approach!
Because you asked - here just a few thoughts on how my layout has evolved over time - and it is still far away from being optimal and satisfying.

We talk about garden railways - so the first question for me is: Is my garden already in it's desired final shape, and do I have an idea how the garden will look at the end ? I had to remove over the years many trees and had to move several bushes. As a consequence I had to re-route the track, which is time-consuming and very unsatisfying.

The second question has to be clarified with family members: How much change in the garden is allowed, how "visible" can the trackwork be? A raised track was simply not wanted in our garden, and even buildings are considered as garden gnomes. They will be installed only during operation days...

Third question: Whatever I model - do I have enough creativity to pursue a particular path which leads to the desired result? If I model a prototypical situation just in 1:22,5, then it's easy. I have to confess that for me the full picture is still not yet 100% clear. Yes - narrow gauge, wood and passenger transport, but then... something is missing.

Maybe that's why the famous swedish furniture shop does not offer just single seats and tables - they develop "idea worlds" and make suggestions how e.g. your living room could look like incl. curtains, plants, lamps, decoration etc. So you have first the full picture on hand and can then decide what you like and what you want to realize in a different way.

What do you think about developing in a similar way a "garden railway idea world", covering typical topics like
> key elements of a small terminus
> details around a steam loco shed
> basic principles for transporting goods (chopping trees -> saw mill -> factory / customer)
> how can rocks look more realistic

This would help not only the starters to reconsider their own garden railway concepts.

Andreas
Thanks Andreas
Plenty of useful ideas here. As you say, maybe there's scope for follow-up posts covering some of those topics. I'm very keen on realistic operation so I might bring together some of your ideas in a post about that.

Rik

The mechanic

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
Black Country
Hi Rik

The blog is a great idea, and is partly responsible for me taking the plunge into garden railways.
I am attaching a couple of photos (they're not the best) of models I have built that were made following your lead, so you can see how effective this form of 'encouragement' can be!

Happy New year to you and best wishes for the blog

Dave

113362_07fede7c2ab3ac85a4b47650f12d1a30.jpeg
g
113363_f049ea50dbc0644d636485db95697bf2.jpeg

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Thanks for the feedback, Dave.
They look like really interesting models - would be interested to see more about them. For instance. have you turned those chimneys yourself?

Rik

dunnyrail

MOTM

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Hi Rik, I think this blog will save me a lot of time when people as me "where do I start what do I need" when building a Garden Raikway. More often asked than one would think.

The mechanic

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
Black Country
Hi Rik,

Thanks for reply. Well, as you can see they are both 'cloned' from your build directions on your blog. Wenhaston - to be named Wrottesley on my line due to it's South Staffordshire location and the Manning Wardle Saddle tank to be named Sparrow after the Sparrows End Light Railway on which she will eventually run when built.
( Sparrows End is close to Brewood, Staffs - yes, it does exist!)

In answer to your question, the saddle tank chimney is the same as yours I.e GRS fabricated type, but for Wrottesley I have used a piece of aluminium tube "nicked" off an old roller blind - don't tell the missus! - which I wrapped in plasticard and then turned in a battery drill and finished with different grades of flatting paper. Can be very therapeutic! - I don't mean wrapping the missus in plasticard and turning her in a drill either, before anyone chips in! ( I've read these blogs before so know what to expect).

I've shone a light on my chimneys, you don't fancy coming round and helping to build the line in the new year at all do you? - Seriously, have a bit of building work to finish into February, it should then be all systems go on the new garden line into the new year and maybe, just maybe, I will be able to get the locos painted and run them towards the end of the year. - Watch this space!

Dave

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Hi Rik,

Thanks for reply. Well, as you can see they are both 'cloned' from your build directions on your blog. Wenhaston - to be named Wrottesley on my line due to it's South Staffordshire location and the Manning Wardle Saddle tank to be named Sparrow after the Sparrows End Light Railway on which she will eventually run when built.
( Sparrows End is close to Brewood, Staffs - yes, it does exist!)

In answer to your question, the saddle tank chimney is the same as yours I.e GRS fabricated type, but for Wrottesley I have used a piece of aluminium tube "nicked" off an old roller blind - don't tell the missus! - which I wrapped in plasticard and then turned in a battery drill and finished with different grades of flatting paper. Can be very therapeutic! - I don't mean wrapping the missus in plasticard and turning her in a drill either, before anyone chips in! ( I've read these blogs before so know what to expect).

I've shone a light on my chimneys, you don't fancy coming round and helping to build the line in the new year at all do you? - Seriously, have a bit of building work to finish into February, it should then be all systems go on the new garden line into the new year and maybe, just maybe, I will be able to get the locos painted and run them towards the end of the year. - Watch this space!

Dave
Perhaps one should explain that Brewood is pronounced as in 'a group of hatchlings', not as written.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Perhaps one should explain that Brewood is pronounced as in 'a group of hatchlings', not as written.
Ignorant, me.. That has gorn right over my head?? :think::(

Is it not: - If you please?
Brie (as in the cheese), and wood (as in a group of trees)
I is a poet, and didn't know it! :):nod::nod:

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Ignorant, me.. That has gorn right over my head?? :think::(

Is it not: - If you please?
Brie (as in the cheese), and wood (as in a group of trees)
I is a poet, and didn't know it! :):nod::nod:

Hmm! You might perhaps be a Green Halfpenny instead. Now that will go over heads. :giggle::giggle::giggle:

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
No, don't understand your banter, Old Boy! :(:think::think:

Rik,
I reckon your Blog is about right.. Especially as it contains links to further entries.
Also, once they have found the initial article, then, the they will probably dip into other entries??

I think you need to emphasise that they need to get 'something' down. - Even my 'oval on the lawn'..
And not to plan a whole network, from day one. - Certainly have an idea where you want to get to, but do it in stages. Too much, too early,means you will lose momentum, and possibly never finish.

GAP

GAP

G Scale trains, Lawn Bowls.
14 Jun 2011
Bomaderry, New South Wales, Australia
No, don't understand your banter, Old Boy! :(:think::think:

Rik,
I reckon your Blog is about right.. Especially as it contains links to further entries.
Also, once they have found the initial article, then, the they will probably dip into other entries??

I think you need to emphasise that they need to get 'something' down. - Even my 'oval on the lawn'..
And not to plan a whole network, from day one. - Certainly have an idea where you want to get to, but do it in stages. Too much, too early,means you will lose momentum, and possibly never finish.
A finished garden railway? o_O o_O
What is this mythical entity of which you speak? :confused::confused:
Sounds like a novel idea.

Reactions: Henri
The mechanic

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
Black Country
Oh God, did I say something wrong? It's spelt that way (Brewood) it's up to you how you pronounce it! I've always been used to "Brood".

I've lived round here for all 56 years of my life and a conundrum it's always been.
By the way, how do you pronounce Shrewsbury? Showsbury, Shoesbury, etc, etc.

More chance on a Brexit agreement than that one!
Just stick to the trains.....

Happy New Year folks

Dave

Reactions: G-force1
trammayo

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Reactions: G-force1
G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Yes Mick, spot on, the nub being is it Halfpenny Green or Ha'penny Green? I've never had the definitive on that one, whilst with Brewood (pn. Brood) I knew some one who lived there and he was definate about it, having been born and bred.

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Around here, Cholmondeley is pronounced Chumley while Cholmondeston is pronounced Cholamenduston. No idea why there's such a profound difference.

Rik

G-force1

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Oh God, did I say something wrong? It's spelt that way (Brewood) it's up to you how you pronounce it! I've always been used to "Brood".

I've lived round here for all 56 years of my life and a conundrum it's always been.
By the way, how do you pronounce Shrewsbury? Showsbury, Shoesbury, etc, etc.

More chance on a Brexit agreement than that one!
Just stick to the trains.....

Happy New Year folks

Dave

Werrit ye not Dave, we likes a bit o' banter about these things. You could always try Cockburnspath (and hundreds of others), but a pound to a penny, unless you've lived in or been associated with the area you'd get it wrong. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

With Shrewsbury I'm told it depends on which side of the river you live how you say it. Sounds like a bit of class destinction to me. :nod::nod: