dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Chassis is a solid lump of Ally with two heavy Bogies and the Battery Pack it certainly manages very well, no traction tyres on the Bogies either.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Almost there now and thinking of the next project. This time some more Lathe work to replicate Lamps. Getting neat ends on Curved Plastic Tube can be a but tricky but with a Lathe Cut Off Tool a complete breeze. I also used some Dividers set to mark the 2 Roof and 4 Front lengths so that all would be the same size.

In the first pic you can see that I have used a Centrering Tool to give some support when cutting off and the Cutting Mark can be seen on the first pic.. 2nd pic shos the swarf created during cutting, go slow as too much heat will melt the plastic.image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Tube has been drilled with some Black Wire inserted and a piece of White Wire Insulation to represent a bulb, superglued in place with the wire bent underneath going to some sort of power supply. Also a couple of 0 Gauge Vac Pipes do service as Air Brake Hoses also super glued in place and all held during dry time with Tamiya Lining Tape.
image.jpeg
A few pics on the line showing the detail added with the Fuel Filler in red roughly middle. A fuel Tank was previously made by Andy using a couple of Bachman Pot Belly Stoves.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
The filler cap is a piece of Heavy Duty Mains wire stripped at the dead end and super glued into the Fuel Tank. A Gauge was also glued to the hole that I drilled in the wrong place! It says Lego on it but you have to look very close to see this.

Figures can be seen inside in varying places not least a Driver at each end a Control Desk consisting of a Couple of Lego Levers and another of those Lego Tubes as used on the Fuel Tank.image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Those holes in the Cab Door grate a little! A piece of Brass Rod hammered at one end.image.jpeg
Short piece of Brass Tube cut off in my handy jig.
image.jpeg
Rod bent and cut to length with a little file up tidying, finally the bit of Tube pressed on to the unhammered end gives a Door Handle.

image.jpeg
Loosly put in place as you can see the little bit of Brass Tube bribpbgs the Handle out a little.
image.jpeg
Super Guled in place 1 Door Handle. I only nedded to make 4.
image.jpeg
Is that bloke seated giving us a rude sign? Signs of Oil Leakage added with Gloss Black, fuel Filler Pipe given the same treatment. Think I will also need to fabricate some Step Ups and Handrails for the long suffering public that will use this nice new shiny Dismal Unit.
image.jpeg
Finally on the Bench awaiting lettering with the next projec, yes it is Terry Sohams old Funkey that will next be getting a makeover, better look away now Terry!

Fuel Tank can just be made out underneath and the filler pipe is not now so red.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 8 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Marvellous piece of modelling:clap::clap:

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
That`s a cracker,great build and runs well too,brilliant:):):cool:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
That's a nice bit of modelling, any chance you could post a comparison pic between the railcar and an ummodified coach?

It's always good for comparison and to inspire other modelling ideas

Dan

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That's a nice bit of modelling, any chance you could post a comparison pic between the railcar and an ummodified coach?

It's always good for comparison and to inspire other modelling ideas

Dan
Thanks Dan, your wish and all that.
image.jpeg
Looking at my Newquid Coach that happens to be Red n Creme hopefully will show the extensive work that Andy carried out to a Blue one.

Looking from left to right.
- Drivers Window and Cab structure all new Plasticard.
- First Window used Body end and as built married up to the Cab.
- Next 3 Windows all enlarged and used new end out of plasticard.
- Middle Door new build with formers to join to
- Next section with a scratch built end at left and 2 enlarged windows to right hand end as on donor original.
- Right hand doors made from centre ones from donor original
- Right hand cab same structure as the left hand one.
All of this was mounted onto a suitable sized piece of Aly Flat using the original internal to screw to this new base. In some of the earlier pics you can see the screws passing from below into the plastic floor of the donor.

Hope that all helps Dan,

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Dan, your wish and all that.
View attachment 233202
Looking at my Newquid Coach that happens to be Red n Creme hopefully will show the extensive work that Andy carried out to a Blue one.

Looking from left to right.
- Drivers Window and Cab structure all new Plasticard.
- First Window used Body end and as built married up to the Cab.
- Next 3 Windows all enlarged and used new end out of plasticard.
- Middle Door new build with formers to join to
- Next section with a scratch built end at left and 2 enlarged windows to right hand end as on donor original.
- Right hand doors made from centre ones from donor original
- Right hand cab same structure as the left hand one.
All of this was mounted onto a suitable sized piece of Aly Flat using the original internal to screw to this new base. In some of the earlier pics you can see the screws passing from below into the plastic floor of the donor.

Hope that all helps Dan,
That really shows the amount of hard work that has been put into that model:clap::clap::clap:

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the picture, I assumed that it was only a slight modified coach body, I hadn't noticed how much hard work was put into it

I know have a hankering for a railcar especially as I have several cheap Chinese coaches sat around . . .

Dan

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have finished a couple more jobs in the last few days. Lettering has been applied with my normal Sticky Paper system, this is a low stick type that can be easily removed at some stage if I decide to get Transfers. So it has numbers a DR ownership and sundry other details on it.
image.jpeg
At the Biggleswade Show I noticed some Lenses, presumably made for Model Lamps as seen below.image.jpegI had been wondering what to use inside the Lamps to give a little more detail and had been considering using "Briliants" which are a fake Diamond type of product used in Tat Jewelry. But these Lamp Lenses fired my imagination somewhat more so I got a pack of the largest size as can be seen by the Highlight on the pack. I had already done some fill with wire on the two lamps under the Cab but the roof ones needed a rear and some fill. This turned out easier than I imagined by squirting some Fast Drying White Putty into the tube after a circle of Bkack Plasticard had been added to the rear. After drying overnight a blob of Black Paint and the roof ones were also ready for their Lenses. All can be seen below.image.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice.

Have you posted a video of the completed unit running, please?

Thanks,

SW

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very well Done!!! Love it!
Thanks Henri, good to see you back with the Forum. Hope the changes to the Garden end with enough for a satisfying new line for you.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice.

Have you posted a video of the completed unit running, please?

Thanks,

SW
Sure did in a snow thread but here it is, my stock gets used in anger as soon as required. No shilly shallyingbin corners doing simple jobs!

Reactions: 2 users