Near-scale "coal" for bunkers and wagons....

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Yesterday the Memsahib came home from a shopping expedition with something very useful..... she`d been to Dunelm, the big home furnishing and housewares store (they`re all over the place - http://www.dunelm.com/stores), and among various domesticky type purchases she`d brought me a pot of "Coloured Vase Filler", 450g for the princely sum of £1.49, which makes almost perfectly-sized G-scale coal!

Yes, I know you can crush up real coal like the coal-firing boys do, but if you`re using it for decorative purposes rather than as loco fuel then that can get very dusty and messy - this stuff is just coal-coloured chippings of something - not sure exactly what, but the back of the pack assures me that it`s non-toxic and contains "no free silica and no free quartz". It`s completely clean to handle, no dust or black marks, and I think you`ll agree from the photos (with a puzzled Pola G stationmaster thinking "who the **** has dumped a pile of coal here?") that size-wise it`s pretty near perfect for filling loco bunkers, coaling staithes and even for wagon loads (using a suitable block of foam with a thinnish layer of this on top - it`s a bit too heavy to just fill a wagon with).

63622_2099e922be6a2d0b94072b0e864a8b96.jpg

63623_ba43225d8b5d57a265c47de85f4d1840.jpg

I`m definitely going to make up a couple of little blocks of this PVA-glued together to fill the bunkers in my pair of TL45 Mallets, in place of the very overscale chunks of loose coal that are supplied - then I`ll start looking at other uses - I promptly nipped back to the store and bought ten more bottles, all that they had on the shelf (so don`t try the Colchester store for any till they`ve had a chance to restock... ;) )

Oh, and they also do the same material in an ivory-white colour, which I think could look good for stone chipping loads in hoppers or open wagons.

Hope it`s of use to some of you! :)

Jon.

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Thanks for the heads-up. There's a Dunelm near me so I'll follow this up.

stevelewis

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Thats good info.... plenty of Dunelm branches up here Chester & Wrexham to name just 2. I think they had better up their stock levels!!

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
That looks suspiciously like the `Loco Coal` that I recently bought from GRS for £4.75 for a 100gr bag (part no SG1127). I have seen identical 100gr bags, advertised as G Scale model coal, from a defferent sorce, on Ebay, for £5 incl postage. I would be interested to know if it has a rubbery feel to it, as does the GRS product. If so, I think you have made a bit of a coup. I used mine as below.

63625_e9e33b6c7078b25d1b38cc93a68d30c6.jpg

63626_9beceb33879eb58d3119139519a50e17.jpg

David

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
That looks suspiciously like the 'Loco Coal' that I recently bought from GRS for £4.75 for a 100gr bag (part no SG1127). I have seen identical 100gr bags, advertised as G Scale model coal, from a defferent sorce, on Ebay, for £5 incl postage. I would be interested to know if it has a rubbery feel to it, as does the GRS product. If so, I think you have made a bit of a coup. I used mine as below.

David
Definitely no "rubberiness" to it, David - it's hard chunks of something very solid, I could quite believe it was real crushed coal except that it doesn't leave black marks everywhere.... it doesn't feel as heavy as stone, but it seems to be something natural.

So, I buy pots of it at £1.49, split them into about 4 bags and sell them at a fiver each...... Oh bugger, I've already told you all about it! ;)

Jon.

beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
dun-elm...dun-elm..dun-elm,dunelm,dunelm,dunelm..dun-elm...dun----elm..........

shame it wasn't pink....

Okay.... its late...

Good find.....now what do I do with my bag of nicely crushed coal?!!

maxi-model

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Good find.....now what do I do with my bag of nicely crushed coal?!!
I can think of one. Do I see the first in a line of coal fired geared locos Mike, now that the live steam bug has truly bitten ? ;) Max

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I can think of one. Do I see the first in a line of coal fired geared locos Mike, now that the live steam bug has truly bitten ? ;) Max
Hm trouble there is you still need to crush the Real Stuff up a bit. Dirty Mits me feels. The nice find Dunelm Stuff just shows that it is always worth a good look at anything we see with the blinkers off.
JonD

beavercreek

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
East Anglia
www.facebook.com
Oh no...that is too far into the dark side Luke! ;)

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
DUNELM WATCH
I went into my Local one in HUNTINGDON yesterday looking for Cusions to make my Front Room Window Seat look nicer. Found what I was looking for I think, but had no measurements on me Doh! But I found these;-
118912_1865d399354f4e4e408119994ced4efb.jpeg
118913_dc48284e340c8fec5dd75db4a1ec2161.jpeg

At £2 each I though they were worth a try so got 5 of them. Taken out of the pot by gently twisting the stem with a pair of pliers and sprayed with UV Protection in the hope it will work outdoors. We shall see. Only issue now is to work out where they will go and what to do with the 5 pots. Oh Trees were glued into Expanded Polystyreen in the Pots so should be easily removed..

ebay mike

MOTM

ebay mike

Registered
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk
I was in B&Q looking for inspiration in the clearance and casualty section and came across a split tub of tarmac granules for repairing paths and driveways. It was only two quid so I thought it worth a punt. Obviously it is weatherproof so will be tried in the new loco facilities when further advanced.