MyLocoSound 2020 Survey Results

Ralphmp

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
A single train crew is responsible for the entire lash-up of locos, they are connected together via a special hook-up called an MU - see here - http://www.ogaugerr.com/images/RPM/221_MU_Setup.pdf

The computer systems keep the locomotives matched with regard to engine speed and output. You know that they are called diesel engines, but are, in fact, diesel-electric engines. The prime movers only act as generators for the DC [older] or AC [newer[ locomotives. The 'notches' you may have heard of are pre-set levels of engine revolutions and the corresponding output from the generators drives the traction motor on each axle.
Thanks - always wondered how it was done.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Ah, the wonders of DCC. None of the tracks I run on have DCC, as they are mainly used for live-steam.

GAP

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
A single train crew is responsible for the entire lash-up of locos, they are connected together via a special hook-up called an MU - see here - http://www.ogaugerr.com/images/RPM/221_MU_Setup.pdf

The computer systems keep the locomotives matched with regard to engine speed and output. You know that they are called diesel engines, but are, in fact, diesel-electric engines. The prime movers only act as generators for the DC [older] or AC [newer[ locomotives. The 'notches' you may have heard of are pre-set levels of engine revolutions and the corresponding output from the generators drives the traction motor on each axle.
Tac a bit of thread drift.
In Queensland Aust the coal trains have up to 3 MU connected locos in the centre of the train which are controlled by radio signals sent from the lead loco.
A spectacular derailment occurred when the train passed over a hill and the centre locos lost the radio signal and did not throttle back when the lead 3 did and kept running at that last throttle settings they received and the train adopted a concertina shape for the front half.
The resultant enquiry recommended a radio repeater at the top of the hill and that was implemented not only on that hill but at other sites across the network.
Thread drift over.

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Ah, the wonders of DCC. None of the tracks I run on have DCC, as they are mainly used for live-steam.
The speaker is a large part of the equation. the Visiton speaker that Greg mentions is top end for quality.

Even with other, lesser speakers, the sound can be changed depending on the way the speaker is housed. A speaker needs to be contained, but at the same time can be set back in a tube or box to give a bit more depth to the sound.

M

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Thanks for the responses. Looks like we have some work to do on US diesels.

The survey helps us plan new products but also gives retailers guidance in market directions.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
I think sound, and sound that reflects true locomotive load is where the future is, it added a whole new dimension to the hobby for me.

(note there is a $200 decoder in each loco)

Greg

Reactions: tac foley
chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Reasonable sound for around £50 is where I'm at. I could have fitted all my diesels with Phoenix chips but at around £250 a go I haven't and I can't see me ever buying one. Some of us haven't got huge piles of cash to burn!

That's the fantastic thing about mylocosound - they provide a very reasonable representation (big US diesels excepted) of a loco at a very reasonable price. If it wasn't for Peter I wouldn't have fitted sound in any of my locos. I would like to record my thanks to him for bringing a lot of added pleasure to me and my garden visitors.

A few years ago I added a bluetooth speaker to a wagon and dropped various recordings of Shay whistles to my phone so I could play them through the speaker. The Shay itself is fitted with a Mylocosound chip which does the chuffing and the speaker does the whistling on my command. I have since bought a smaller speaker which fits inside the wagon load. I thought it was rather good fun, which is what it's all about.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
It surprised me that battery power was such a high percentage.
Well batteries are now becoming a lot more convenient, smaller, more powerful etc so it's easier to see their advantages. (I know this battery/track power argument is still bubbling). Batteries seem to have revitalised the O Gauge garden railways as track power for the smaller scale has always been a problem asolving usually less volts are required

chris m01

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
I have contemplated selling all my G scale and replacing the track with 00. I could then buy lots of old Lima and Hornby locos (which have plenty of room inside) and fit them up with battery RC. Trouble is they still wouldn't have the sheer presence of G scale. And, of course, mylocosound don't make small chips for 00 locos any more.

The Tinker

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Thanks for the responses. Looks like we have some work to do on US diesels.

The survey helps us plan new products but also gives retailers guidance in market directions.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
On that note I have been looking at a sound card for my live steamer with things like the whistle, a bell maybe blow down valves, compressor etc that are sounds real locos make live steamers don't. Simple recordings maybe then created sound. My live steamer controller has 4 extra functions that could be used for these. I wonder if your sound card would work I have just bought one to try

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Reasonable sound for around £50 is where I'm at. I could have fitted all my diesels with Phoenix chips but at around £250 a go I haven't and I can't see me ever buying one. Some of us haven't got huge piles of cash to burn!

That's the fantastic thing about mylocosound - they provide a very reasonable representation (big US diesels excepted) of a loco at a very reasonable price. If it wasn't for Peter I wouldn't have fitted sound in any of my locos. I would like to record my thanks to him for bringing a lot of added pleasure to me and my garden visitors.

A few years ago I added a bluetooth speaker to a wagon and dropped various recordings of Shay whistles to my phone so I could play them through the speaker. The Shay itself is fitted with a Mylocosound chip which does the chuffing and the speaker does the whistling on my command. I have since bought a smaller speaker which fits inside the wagon load. I thought it was rather good fun, which is what it's all about.

Please PM me with details of your fit. I have three Shays, but one of them is live steam but I think i could just about squeeze a speaker in the water tank if I took the unneeded pump out. Love the layout, BTW...

M

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
On that note I have been looking at a sound card for my live steamer with things like the whistle, a bell maybe blow down valves, compressor etc that are sounds real locos make live steamers don't. Simple recordings maybe then created sound. My live steamer controller has 4 extra functions that could be used for these. I wonder if your sound card would work I have just bought one to try
When you get your soundcard please email me direct at sales@mylocosound.com if you need assistance.

Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound