My latest shed find project LGB 2060H

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
This old gal had been languishing in someones shed for years and had obviously suffered some mishap along the way. It's got the old horseshoe rear coupling and raised number on the cab, so has some age to it. The wheels and pick up shoes look ok though.
Anyone got an idea of roughly when it was made?
Motor as yet untested, but will shortly hit my repair bench. Pictures of restoration and repair to follow as the work goes on.
Interesting choice of buffers fitted... Look to be aluminium.
Paul.
2060H-1.jpg
2060H-2.jpg
2060H-3.jpg

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
This old gal had been languishing in someones shed for years and had obviously suffered some mishap along the way. It's got the old horseshoe rear coupling and raised number on the cab, so has some age to it. The wheels and pick up shoes look ok though.
Motor as yet untested, but will shortly hit my repair bench. Pictures of restoration and repair to follow as the work goes on.
Paul. View attachment 270510 View attachment 270511 View attachment 270512
Hi Paul,

Looks like a good project. There are signs of it being dropped at some time looking at the pics, but LGB is tough as old boots.

I shall follow your progress with interest.

Regards,

Paul

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Paul. View attachment 270510 View attachment 270511 View attachment 270512
Hm everything about it shouts 2060H which was in production 1971-1986. So the stock picture in Lok could be a later one as the horn is Gold on that one. The swop out buffer does not help with the investigation. That is about as far as I can go. Oh no there should be some kind of button or perhaps reed to actuate a horn somewhere.

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Hm everything about it shouts 2060H which was in production 1971-1986. So the stock picture in Lok could be a later one as the horn is Gold on that one. The swop out buffer does not help with the investigation. That is about as far as I can go. Oh no there should be some kind of button or perhaps reed to actuate a horn somewhere.
Solving this one reminds me of a certain television series for some reason......... :) morse-jag.jpg

Brixham

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
The horn operate button can be seen in image#2.....the silvery thing.

There should be a track mounted ramp about 8 inches long to operate the switch

By 1970's standards, the horn sound was ok. By 2020 standards, it's rather disappointing!

Malcolm

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
By 1970's standards, the horn sound was ok. By 2020 standards, it's rather disappointing!
Thanks guys,
Was not expecting any great shakes from the horn. More interested in pinning down the age of the thing. Does anyone know when the old small horseshoe rear coupling (Pic 2) stopped being fitted? That would help me immensely.
I bought it mainly for the two motor retaining brackets as these are getting very hard to get. The intention is to take a mould from them and cast some replicas of them or produce the relevant drawings to gets some 3D printed. God knows what going on with the screwed down roof. I suspect that the glazing has lost the tangs that hold it down, that's assuming it has its original glazing. Not got my hands on it yet, still waiting for the postman. I wonder how many spiders are hiding in the cab.o_O
Regards,
Paul.

Last edited:
P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
The pickup shoe nearest the camera looks a bit iffy.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Thanks guys,
Was not expecting any great shakes from the horn. More interested in pinning down the age of the thing. Does anyone know when the old small horseshoe rear coupling (Pic 2) stopped being fitted? That would help me immensely.
I bought it mainly for the two motor retaining brackets as these are getting very hard to get. The intention is to take a mould from them and cast some replicas of them or produce the relevant drawings to gets some 3D printed. God knows what going on with the screwed down roof. I suspect that the glazing has lost the tangs that hold it down, that's assuming it has its original glazing. Not got my hands on it yet, still waiting for the postman. I wonder how many spiders are hiding in the cab.o_O
Regards,
Paul.
Hm this is the tricky one, Christman Clollector Car helps with pictures showing that 2050 (I know but it helps) series A and B (different colours) had the shoe horn couplings, but is no help with dates. Lok is no help either as it does not show all the subtle variations of colours nor does it show the rear coupling where the shoe horn is. Of help may be the year that 2050 variant C which was the first Steam Tram to have red base may be a clue of the demise of the shoe horn. But older LGB Cats are in black and white!

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Hm this is the tricky one, Christman Clollector Car helps with pictures showing that 2050 (I know but it helps) series A and B (different colours) had the shoe horn couplings, but is no help with dates. Lok is no help either as it does not show all the subtle variations of colours nor does it show the rear coupling where the shoe horn is. Of help may be the year that 2050 variant C which was the first Steam Tram to have red base may be a clue of the demise of the shoe horn. But older LGB Cats are in black and white!
AHA..!
I may have found what I needed here
in the 1969 LGB Catalogue.
If this is indeed the loco, she first appeared in 1971. The colours all look right. The photo is low res, but also appears to show screws on the roof. I assume it was removable to get to the battery that powered the horn.That may also explain why the windows look black, maybe they are just that to hide the horn / battery gubbins. Can't wait for it to arrive so I get into her. I just hope there wasn't an old battery left in there..!
Paul.

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
AHA..!
If this is indeed the loco, she first appeared in 1971. The colours all look right. The photo is low res, but also appears to show screws on the roof. I assume it was removable to get to the battery that powered the horn.That may also explain why the windows look black, maybe they are just that to hide the horn / battery gubbins. Can't wait for it to arrive so I get into her. I just hope there wasn't an old battery left in there..!
Paul.
You've even got me excited!!!

Keep us all posted on developments.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
AHA..!
Paul.
That indeed is an interesting link and covers all the questions except one, silver horns. I wonder if these have been rapainted. Though if that is the case whoever did it was very careful no splurges of Silver to be seen on the roof. When it arrives a good look at those horns may tell us some more. Love these LGB what are they investigations.

MTheStrong

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
It looks like it is fitted with a Heuler motor?

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Well she arrived and was soon on the bench.
Findings:
Silver horn: Was originally gold, it must have had a few knocks as it had been covered with self adhesive chrome tape.

Dodgy looking pick up skates: Someone had very carefully silver soldered brass sheet over them. Luckily I have a brand new pair to fit it.

Dark windows: Sprayed over internally with black paint, which appears to have been done in the factory.

Horn electrics: Battery box terminals had obviously corroded and been replaced with brass sheet. Luckily it takes 2 AA batteries and I have several twin AA battery holders which will give me a nice shiny trio of terminals to fit in the box. Speaker made in Hong Kong, speaker box very retro looking and fills the cab almost in it's entirety. (Sits on top of the control panel base.)
When tested it made a pathetic little whine, however tuning the brass adjustment screw soon produced a raucous and very loud horn noise.

Screws on roof: Seem to be factory fitted to get to the horn batteries, one corner of roof damaged by over tightening, but fixable.

Motor: runs but is rather loud, will investigate further when I open the gear cases. (Sounds like metal gears.) We shall see. At least I have a brand new motor and (plastic.) gear set to fit if it's beyond help.

Other: Missing just one handrail and one sand box, which I have spares for.

Body: Cleaned up a treat, very little damage, just the odd scuff here and there.

Chassis: Needs full rebuild on one corner, all the rest OK.

Questions: Does anyone know a good colour match paint for the chassis, obviously it will need spraying after repair.

Finally: Very pleased, it could have been far worse, and not a spider or dead woodlouse in sight.
Regards,
Paul.
2060 H _1_.JPG
2060 H _0_.JPG
2060 H _3_.JPG
2060 H _4_.JPG

Attachments

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Right then, gear case opened and no metal gears. Pretty much the same as an old 2010. Not in bad condition either, a bit dried out but that's an easy sort. Will test amperage draw tomorrow. End float within tolerance and ball bearings in place.
First stage of cleaning completed and replacement parts found, now for the repairs to the bodywork.
Does anyone know if the number on the motor sticker is the date of manufacture?
Regards,
Paul.
2020-07-25 001 001.JPG
2020-07-25 001 004.JPG
2020-07-25 001 006.JPG

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Brill nice that everything worked out well and what an interesting old lady you now have. Hope you did not loose any of the thrust bearings, looks like I was in the nail about the horn repaint, as for the Red there have been posts to links for some colours using the Halfords series, not sure if under frame Red was one of them. Perhaps someone could advise for you? Definately do it as a full respray if you do, will look a much better job and I would suggest undercoat with Halfords Primer Red for the perfect job. With all the Black parts removed it should be a pretty easy job with no masking.

Logic could suggest that the 10/74 on the motor fits in with a production date, but we need clarification from someone that knows if this was a Bühler thing?

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
Logic could suggest that the 10/74 on the motor fits in with a production date, but we need clarification from someone that knows if this was a Bühler thing?
I have sent an e-mail to BÜHLER MOTOR GMBH to see if they have any info on the numbering.
Well, you never know.
Also I came across a completed German ad on e-bay which confirms that the roof screws and horn equipment are original. No date mentioned plus mine has no power socket on the short bonnet, so could be earlier than the one in the ad or maybe not. Apart from that it's identical.

Last edited: