My garden railway, somewhere between the Harz and the Severn Valley.

Tomclarke7802

Registered
31 Aug 2020
Kidderminster
Country flag
Dont worry too much about having that 99 201 on your line, I have one as well my justification being that the real Harz had a couple in NWE days No’s 31 and 32. Ordered in 1909 and in service 1910. In 1920 one got involved in an accident and both were withdrawn being sold to Bolivia possibly being in service up to 1970 with 4 others that were bought new.
That’s good to know and very interesting, thank you! I wonder if any photos exist of them in NWE service?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
That’s good to know and very interesting, thank you! I wonder if any photos exist of them in NWE service?
Not having had such a long life they appeared to be a bit camera shy. In Dirk Endisch book “Mallet-Locomotiven des Harzes” there are just 4 pictures, one looks to be a works picture, 1 in Wernigeroed pretty much as delivered and very shiny, on this and the drawing in the book the two side lamps sit just at the bottom front of the side tanks. The final 2 pics are the aftermath of the crunch that 32 was involved with. Bit of a mess but most damage was to the cab. Probably need to look through my other books and bookzines to see if there are more anywhere.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Well had a search through pretty well all that I have and just this one picture out on the line has emerged. A bit wooley actually as it was taken at Drängentel Crossing which I am not quite sure where it is but think it could be near Steinerne Renne, neither can the actual loco be identidied but it is certainly one of the two due to Lamp Locations.
BF9D91D3-B36B-4CE9-9A34-413560C73624.jpeg This pic has been taken from a book but as it was published in the old East German republic era I am not that worried about copyright……..waits looking behind my back for a tap on the shoulder from a Stasi person!

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Country flag
Excellent pics, Tom! Interesting to hear the saga of your 99-222, I find it amazing to think that the previous owner had treated such an expensive (and limited-edition) model that badly... :(
Still, glad you were able to get it fixed and it looks great now. :)
I had an excellent trip to the HSB back in 2017 with a couple of friends, including a "Traditionszug" run up the Brocken with the rake of old-livery green coaches behind the green Mallet 5902 - a scene that I can replicate exactly in model form having got the TL45 5902 and their set of four restored coaches. I must admit to quite liking TrainLine's products - I know they are not quite as robust or well engineered as LGB, but I was sufficiently impressed with the Pfiffi to also pick up the 6102 Fiffi as well - glad I got it when I did, as it seems to be difficult to obtain now.

A couple of old threads on my 6101 Pfiffi, coaling her up and adding her crew....

....and the review I originally did when my Pfiffi first arrived (Ye Gods, is it really five years ago now...?):

My Pfiffi and Traditionszug rake running at a friend's (RhB-themed) line during a GSS open day....

Pfiffi at Chris's.JPG

And finally on the HSB theme, while I've not yet managed to get my hands on a KISS 5906 Mallet (yes JonD, I know you've got one now... ;)) I do have a "sort of" 5906 in the shape of this rather interesting homebuilt version acquired from evilBay...

Jon.

Tomclarke7802

Registered
31 Aug 2020
Kidderminster
Country flag
Well had a search through pretty well all that I have and just this one picture out on the line has emerged. A bit wooley actually as it was taken at Drängentel Crossing which I am not quite sure where it is but think it could be near Steinerne Renne, neither can the actual loco be identidied but it is certainly one of the two due to Lamp Locations.
View attachment 291102 This pic has been taken from a book but as it was published in the old East German republic era I am not that worried about copyright……..waits looking behind my back for a tap on the shoulder from a Stasi person!
Wow, that’s excellent, thank you for finding it!!
Drängentel is the passing loop about midway between Stierne Renne and Drei Annen Hohne, the loop is still there but the signal box is long gone. I’ve saved the photo and have added the Mallet book you have previously mentioned to my Christmas list, I may then be on the lookout for an old LGB Honomag Mallet that I can butcher.
Thanks again,

Tom

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag
Wow, that’s excellent, thank you for finding it!!
Drängentel is the passing loop about midway between Stierne Renne and Drei Annen Hohne, the loop is still there but the signal box is long gone. I’ve saved the photo and have added the Mallet book you have previously mentioned to my Christmas list, I may then be on the lookout for an old LGB Honomag Mallet that I can butcher.
Thanks again,

Tom
Aha found it now about a km uphill from the tunnel, marked but not named on my Quail track diagram of the Harz lines. Another item for your xmas list!

Tomclarke7802

Registered
31 Aug 2020
Kidderminster
Country flag
Excellent pics, Tom! Interesting to hear the saga of your 99-222, I find it amazing to think that the previous owner had treated such an expensive (and limited-edition) model that badly... :(
Still, glad you were able to get it fixed and it looks great now. :)
I had an excellent trip to the HSB back in 2017 with a couple of friends, including a "Traditionszug" run up the Brocken with the rake of old-livery green coaches behind the green Mallet 5902 - a scene that I can replicate exactly in model form having got the TL45 5902 and their set of four restored coaches. I must admit to quite liking TrainLine's products - I know they are not quite as robust or well engineered as LGB, but I was sufficiently impressed with the Pfiffi to also pick up the 6102 Fiffi as well - glad I got it when I did, as it seems to be difficult to obtain now.

A couple of old threads on my 6101 Pfiffi, coaling her up and adding her crew....

....and the review I originally did when my Pfiffi first arrived (Ye Gods, is it really five years ago now...?):

My Pfiffi and Traditionszug rake running at a friend's (RhB-themed) line during a GSS open day....

View attachment 291111

And finally on the HSB theme, while I've not yet managed to get my hands on a KISS 5906 Mallet (yes JonD, I know you've got one now... ;)) I do have a "sort of" 5906 in the shape of this rather interesting homebuilt version acquired from evilBay...

Jon.
Hi Jon, thank you for your comments and pictures and threads, something to trawl through on my breaks at work. I am envious of your Harz collection, especially the Mallets and “Traditional train“ coaches, I’m currently on the lookout for a TL Mallet, but they seem very rare this side of the English Channel.

I would be exceptionally interested in a Harz-based get together at some point, seems to be plenty of interest, which I’m astonished by.
Cheers
Tom

Tomclarke7802

Registered
31 Aug 2020
Kidderminster
Country flag
Just a little update today, I‘ve been busy with a roll of “trimline” lining tape on the Swiss G 3/4, the real No.14 has red edge to its cab, tanks and bunker so I’ve done ,y best to replicate that on this model. It’s had a quick hand applied coat of varnish to seal them in. It’ll soon get a run down and spray varnish to smooth things out. Once I’ve replaced the numbers on the tanks, cab and chimney. 0D1F1E20-7FA7-407D-9715-1C78155B571C.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Country flag
No..... No idea why anyone in the UK would be interested in the Harz railway! ;)
IMG_1822.JPG
:D:D:D

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Country flag

Tomclarke7802

Registered
31 Aug 2020
Kidderminster
Country flag
Some small updates, I’ve been busy transforming more of those lovely old bogie balcony coaches into vague representations of “Traditionszug” coaches, 8031CDAA-1718-4EAF-8C0B-59EB24AC094A.jpeg
Nothing more than a repaint into all over green, some khaki around the window frames and a mix of greys, blacks and earthy colours on the roof. One of them has had the clerestory removed to add a bit of variation. Transfers will be ordered next payday from Troeger to finish them off, in the meantime they’ve had some spare coach numbers and HSB/DR decals attached. The middle of the 3 has been complete for a while now.

I couldn’t resist running the salon with the rake too… D77AB88A-0356-44B9-B9F0-47A96FE5DDE4.jpeg
6101 will pull 3 plus the long green van up the hill solo, the salon coach restricted it to the bottom circuit this afternoon.

I have a couple more of these coaches to repaint, I have an idea for one which will be very colourful if I can pull it off, the other may go into RHB livery to add to the concoction of Swiss stock I’m putting together, I only want a small rake for No.14 and the GM 6/6 (repainted V52).
D3677DA9-0E85-4185-9044-A47F8A2DA934.jpeg
14 now has brass handrails to replace the really flimsy LGB efforts, the green/cream coach was the result of a trade in at GRS during the week with a load of old Aristocraft track I got as part of a job lot. It’s a lovely vehicle, I think a repainted balcony coach sans clerestory in RHB green would suit it, (pictured is the one in the HSB rake before transfers were applied). Did the RHB have anything similar?

All the best and thanks for looking.

Tom