My first outdoor railway......

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
And here it is - a Tri-ang transcontinental Pacific [Canadian outline cab, of course] and a few cars in our backyard in early 1959. I had received them for Christmas of '58. I sometimes run them on a bunch of correct grey-based track that I recovered from a garbage pile outside a closing down MRC.

1599989224825.png

Last edited:
Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks for posting. We love to see vintage pics. It clarifies history.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Today - same train, different location.....................

1600093609518.png

penylanpip

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
It's impressive that you still have them - and in such good nick!

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
I still have ALL my Tri-ang Transcontinental stuff, AND my bear, given to me off the hospital Christmas tree when I spent my first Christmas in there....some things are hard to lose, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Mary had a little bear
that followed Mary everywhere.
Everywhere that Mary went
you saw her bear behind.

:nod::nod:

steinman

steinman

Comfortably Numb
24 Oct 2009
Cleveleys, Blackpool
I had a couple of the Triang Transcontinental locos, well played with and battered, long since gone, but for a trip down memory lane I can recommend Oscar Paisley videos on YouTube he has a fantastic collection and a large layout straight from the Triang track plan book, if only I had the room

Reactions: 1 user
voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
I still have all the Tri-ang from my childhood that my Dad started buying when Tri-ang first started up in the early 1950s. He didn't think much of the TC range so we didn't have any however once I left home I started gathering in that side of Tri-ang as well. Still have a lot of it and it regularly comes out to play.

Paul

Reactions: 1 user
tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
It is all so simple that it's not hard to get it to work, even after fifty years in a box. About ten years syne I bought a 'Lord of the Isles' loco at a train show here at Wood Green - 'as found' wrapped in a piece of newspaper with mention of the Torrey Canyon shipping disaster on it - 1974? The seller put it on the track and nothing happened. I bought it anyway, and on taking it to pieces found that the commutator slots were full of carbon. I used a pin to clean them out, put it back on the track and it ran as though it was only yesterday that it had been put away.

DCC?

Gimme a break.

tac foley

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
And I had the very first Tri-Ang Rovex trainset - in a maroon box, containing -

1 x black pacific loco and tender - #46201 Princess Elizabeth.

2 x maroon passenger cars.

An oval of track with a power connecting hook-up section with an uncoupler

A large plastic box into which you put a huge bell battery, and

A little bottle of oil with a red top.

It was made up for Gamages, the big department store in High Holborn, London, just along the road from Bassett-Lowke's showrooms..

P

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Mary had a little bear
that followed Mary everywhere.
Everywhere that Mary went
you saw her bear behind.

:nod::nod:
Mary had a little lamb,
She also had a bear.
I've often seen her little lamb
But never seen her bear.

Alpineandy

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
I had a couple of the Triang Transcontinental locos, well played with and battered, long since gone, but for a trip down memory lane I can recommend Oscar Paisley videos on YouTube he has a fantastic collection and a large layout straight from the Triang track plan book, if only I had the room
Yep worth a watch :)

Fred2179G

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
1 x black pacific loco and tender - #46201 Princess Elizabeth.
Very nice Tac - I didn't see many of the TC range. I had a variety of Triang stuff in the 1950s/60s, including some short crimson-and-cream coaches that sagged, and at one point I had a Princess Elizabeth with 2 pickup plungers behind the drivers, which I assume were the first version of the loco. Ain't nostalgia great.

voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
at one point I had a Princess Elizabeth with 2 pickup plungers behind the drivers, which I assume were the first version of the loco. Ain't nostalgia great.
Not quite the first version but almost. The very first had roller pick ups and if you find one of them they are very expensive. No change out of a thousand or two pounds as very few were made.

Paul