Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Oct 6 2009, 11:09 PM Post #1

Group: Member.
Member No.: 2010

Just got back from attempting to run my Accucraft Mortimer in my pal's attic.
A few weeks ago I fitted a stainless steel mesh around the burner - now much quieter, can get a decent slow speed, but the extra running time has eluded me......until tonight. Apparently my gas filler valve was leaking (must have been leaking for a while) - thought I felt a slight cold breeze on my finger when placed over the valve. When we held an ignitor near the valve, a flame shot up about 8 inches before we quickly blew it out.
Have to replace the valve and hopefully will expect a slightly longer running time next week. Will check the gas filler valve on my Caradoc tomorrow - just in case......Think I'll check them on a regular basis - seems that it's overlooked by most "trainers" I know.
Mike

minimans
Oct 7 2009, 01:23 AM Post #2

Group: Moderator.
Member No.: 8

COOO you were lucky!! During the war my Gran bless 'er when't looking for a gas leak after a Jerry bomb had blown in the front wall, trouble is she used a candle.....................she went out the open wall with a big bang!!!! she survived to a ripe old age.................

--------------------

Paul - GSM MODERATOR

Sunny San Francisco bay area.

"Most garden railwaymen are ordinary folk - Albeit as nutty as fruitcakes"...D. Rowlands

johnsaintjim
Oct 7 2009, 08:00 AM Post #3

Member No.: 11

QUOTE(MikeH @ Oct 7 2009, 12:09 AM)
Just got back from attempting to run my Accucraft Mortimer in my pal's attic.
A few weeks ago I fitted a stainless steel mesh around the burner - now much quieter, can get a decent slow speed, but the extra running time has eluded me......until tonight. Apparently my gas filler valve was leaking (must have been leaking for a while) - thought I felt a slight cold breeze on my finger when placed over the valve. When we held an ignitor near the valve, a flame shot up about 8 inches before we quickly blew it out.
Have to replace the valve and hopefully will expect a slightly longer running time next week. Will check the gas filler valve on my Caradoc tomorrow - just in case......Think I'll check them on a regular basis - seems that it's overlooked by most "trainers" I know.
Mike

It's a good point Mike. I have had a leak on my Lawley gas filler too but flicking the pin cured it. I carry a spare in my toolbox anyway, plus the fitting tool. I've never thought to mention it to anyone just starting.

I "sniff" my locos regularly anyway and the smell of butane would be fairly obvious.

It's also worth checking for steam tightness. I do this by bringing the loco to its max working pressure then turning off the gas to re-fill. If the pressure gauge stays at the same pressure for a couple of minutes, I know the loco is basically steam tight - except for the bit after the regulator (or unless the gauge is sticky ). The steam line to the cylinders can be checked by watching for leaks - but don't forget steam is invisible. The white stuff is water vapour. So you can have a leak and not see it easily.

--------------------

Graham

The Evensford and Midland Railway
English narrow gauge in the garden
Visit my new web site at http://www.evensfordandmidland.co.uk

ferrysteam
Oct 7 2009, 03:23 PM Post #4

Member No.: 134

Another useful tip.If the jet clogs up try filling the gas tank with the gas valve open,saves removing the jet,it usually works.

--------------------

Allan from Co Durham.Land of the Prince Bishops.
If crime doesn't pay,why are politicians and bankers so wealthy?

Doug
Oct 7 2009, 04:10 PM Post #5

Member No.: 104

I used to get new filler valves from LinesideDelights, but as they are currently only semi trading i was wondering who else supplies them. Bare in mind that the Accucraft ones use a different thread from the Roundhouse ones.

--------------------

Doug
West Herts

Rosco
Oct 7 2009, 04:13 PM Post #6

Member No.: 2924

Does anybody know where you can purchase a fitting tool for these valves? I've never had to replace one but it would be handy to have the correct tool.

owlpool
Oct 7 2009, 04:14 PM Post #7

Member No.: 283

intersted to hear the answers to these as we've not run my son's caradoc for a while due to a gas filler valve problem

--------------------

paul

johnsaintjim
Oct 7 2009, 04:46 PM Post #8

Well according to the thread about Lineside Delights they are still taking phone orders. I seem to recall I have had spares from Back2Bay6 as well. I usually just buy them when I see them and stick em in me toolbox.

--------------------

Graham

ferrysteam
View Member Profile
Oct 7 2009, 05:06 PM Post #9

Member No.: 134

I bought some loco tool boxes and a long nose gas adapter from Lineside Delights today so they're still trading the small stuff.They're out of gas valve removal tools though.

--------------------

Allan from Co Durham.Land of the Prince Bishops.
If crime doesn't pay,why are politicians and bankers so wealthy?

MikeH
Oct 8 2009, 12:21 PM Post #10

Member No.: 2010

I made a gas filler valve extractor from a screwdriver. Get a screwdriver with a decent blade that fits the slot on the valve. Cut, file or bite out the middle section of the blade so it fits over the valve plunger thing and just unscrew. Everyone must have an old spare screwdriver in the drawer, toolbox or back pocket they could modify.......

MRail
Oct 8 2009, 01:19 PM Post #11

Member No.: 1258

QUOTE(Rosco @ Oct 7 2009, 05:13 PM)
Does anybody know where you can purchase a fitting tool for these valves? I've never had to replace one but it would be handy to have the correct tool.

Linside delights supply them.

--------------------

Rob Guinness (MRail)
Muddledale Railway Co (SM32)
Vale of Clutter
Merseyside

johnsaintjim
Oct 8 2009, 01:28 PM Post #12

QUOTE(MRail @ Oct 8 2009, 02:19 PM)
QUOTE(Rosco @ Oct 7 2009, 05:13 PM)

Linside delights supply them.

but they have run out... see 3 posts up

--------------------

Graham

Oct 8 2009, 08:23 PM Post #13

Member No.: 2792

QUOTE(MikeH @ Oct 8 2009, 01:21 PM)
I made a gas filler valve extractor from a screwdriver. Get a screwdriver with a decent blade that fits the slot on the valve. Cut, file or bite out the middle section of the blade so it fits over the valve plunger thing and just unscrew. Everyone must have an old spare screwdriver in the drawer, toolbox or back pocket they could modify.......

Would a Romford axle nut screwdriver work, or could one be modified to fit...?

MHLR
View Member Profile
Oct 8 2009, 10:48 PM Post #14

Member No.: 562

PPS may be worth a try for the valves: http://www.pps-steam-models.co.uk/ Mixed reviews on them, but if you ring him up, I'm sure he can help.

--------------------

Pete

MHLR
Cornwall
www.mhlr.webs.com

johnsaintjim
Oct 9 2009, 07:33 AM Post #15

QUOTE(298 @ Oct 8 2009, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE(MikeH @ Oct 8 2009, 01:21 PM)

Would a Romford axle nut screwdriver work, or could one be modified to fit...?

Good idea and had never thought of it. I'll give it a try.

--------------------

Graham