More information on the Hampton End exhibition layout.

FatherMcD

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Can anyone direct me to more information on the Hampton End layout? I've seen several photos of rather nice scenes from various exhibitions, but can't seem to find anything about module construction, overall track plan, etc. I gather that it was sponsored by Glendale Junction which now appears out of business. I particularly like that it seemed to manage with R1 curves and switches and relatively narrow modules. Thank, Ken

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
You need to make contact with M My45G

David

M

My45G

Registered
9 Nov 2016
Henley
You need to make contact with M My45G

David
Sorry Guys, Hampton End is nothing to do with me. Try contacting exhibition organisers where it has appeared or due to appear

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Can anyone direct me to more information on the Hampton End layout? I've seen several photos of rather nice scenes from various exhibitions, but can't seem to find anything about module construction, overall track plan, etc. I gather that it was sponsored by Glendale Junction which now appears out of business. I particularly like that it seemed to manage with R1 curves and switches and relatively narrow modules. Thank, Ken
If you google this you will find pictures.

hampton end model railway

David1226

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Sorry Guys, Hampton End is nothing to do with me. Try contacting exhibition organisers where it has appeared or due to appear
Sincere apologies, getting my layouts mixed up.

Hampton End is a layout that has developed and altered over the years. It started out as a relatively small end to end U shaped terminus to fiddle yard. Then the ends of the U were joined up to make a round and round configuration. The width of the fiddle yard was increased to accommodate additional sidings in order to display more stock. Then a singe track linear branch line was added to one end of the loop. I believe further alterations are planned but i cannot give any additional information.

The fiddle yard taken 14.5.2017. The back of the branch line extension can be seen in the background, behind the operator.

dig 170514024.JPG

The original layout showing the fiddle yard to terminus configuration. The line was later extended beyond the footbridge with track looping off to the right to link up with the opposite end of the fiddle yard making a circuit. Taken 12.4.2008

dig 080412012.JPG

The run around loop at the end of the branch line extension, taken 17.3.2019

dig 190317066.JPG

David

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
From the 50th Anniversary programme of the Milton Keynes MRE, 16th-17th February 2019:

"Hampton End

Presented by: Dale Gillard

Hampton End is a small village served by a branch line, which used to bring fish from the nearby quayside.
Following its closure many years ago a group of local rail enthusiasts reinstated the track and buildings and purchased a few foreign engines and stock. Leaving the main line we travel along a single track, passing the local rock climbing team enjoying themselves on the rock faces and a gardener working on his allotment behind the engine shed at Hampton Halt. Here the workers are busy getting coal ready for the next steam locomotive. Track work is by Trainline 45, supplied by Glendale Junction, together with the rock climbing figures. Buildings come from the T&M range, with trees and allotment vegetables by Ceynix Trees."

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Not sure how involved the sadly closed Glendale were in sponsoring this layout. But certainly they can and have been seen behind helping out at occasional shows. Perhaps this will occur more often now that they are retired, always good to see them both.

FatherMcD

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
David,

I appreciate the pictures. I think I had found them earlier on the web, but without the descriptions you added it was hard to visualize the overall layout.

Thank you all for your responses. It sometimes take lots of input from knowledgeable others to track things down.

I certainly hope that the exhibition of this layout will continue, perhaps with new sponsorship, although I am unlikely to be able to see it. It is an inspiration of what I might be able to do with my G scale models. I'm certainly not in the Sundance Central class.

Regards,
Ken