Monday 7th September 2020.

• Thread starter casey jones snr
  • Start date
palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
Come on fellas, you really expect a ring road to actually help people easily circumnavigate a town do you?
I always believed that...........until the day we went to Coventry.............

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Good evening from darkest Cambridge!

I'm sure that we can lay claim to the most traffic lights here. We have cross roads with lights, then separate pedestrian crossings with lights just a few yards up the road. Pedestrians rarely use them because you have to walk a little further.

I've just headed in via the original A10, Milton Road, next to the Science Park. There are several sets of lights to navigate in about a half mile, including a set for the (Mis)-Guided Busway. None of these lights seem to work together, and you often get 3 green lights in a row but the last set for the said busway will be red, so nobody can move anyway!

At least they have fixed the lights coming off the A14 at Junction 31 for Milton Road though....

voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Apparently, Leicester has the most traffic lights in the country. There are also plenty of traffic signs but most of them are utterly confusing. The city council is set on making driving through or about the city as difficult as possible.
Nothing new, it must be 50 years ago now and our family was heading down to the South West and we went through Bristol. It seems they had recently created some sort of one way system which we negotiated until we came across a longish straight three maybe four lane road with a big gantry over it bearing the sign "GET IN LANE" however there was nothing to say what lane went where. Reached the junction at the end and of course we were completely the wrong side so went round the system again. This time although we knew now which lane to be in the whole family looked everywhere for signs and there were none until you were at the actual junction and they were so low down any traffic in front of you obscured them.

Paul

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Come on fellas, you really expect a ring road to actually help people easily circumnavigate a town do you?
In my innocence... I once tried to use the South Circular.. :(:mad::cry::cry:

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
The Gapton Hall roundabout on the A47 in Great Yarmouth has traffic lights on it. Frequent long queues on the approaches except on the days when the lights pack up when the traffic flows freely.

Last edited:
palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
The Galton Hall roundabout on the A47 in Great Yarmouth has traffic lights on it. Frequent long queues on the approaches except on the days when the lights pack up when the traffic flows freely.
:D

ebay mike

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
I see there are several listings on eBay today for the so-called G scale Harry Potter set.

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I see there are several listings on eBay today for the so-called G scale Harry Potter set.
I wonder if they are people who bought, and are very disappointed?

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
voodoopenguin

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Oh, ho, ho - big mistake - it's a bit of a myth :emo::emo:
The South Circular was just a route using existing roads. Fifty years ago I found it very useful but traffic was a bit different then.

Paul

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
The South Circular was just a route using existing roads. Fifty years ago I found it very useful but traffic was a bit different then.

Paul
There were a number of schemes to improve it in the manner of the north circular, but cost and the extent of disruption and compulsory purchases meant that they were always shelved.

It remains an urban myth :think::think:

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Good evening from darkest Cambridge!

I'm sure that we can lay claim to the most traffic lights here. We have cross roads with lights, then separate pedestrian crossings with lights just a few yards up the road. Pedestrians rarely use them because you have to walk a little further.

I've just headed in via the original A10, Milton Road, next to the Science Park. There are several sets of lights to navigate in about a half mile, including a set for the (Mis)-Guided Busway. None of these lights seem to work together, and you often get 3 green lights in a row but the last set for the said busway will be red, so nobody can move anyway!

At least they have fixed the lights coming off the A14 at Junction 31 for Milton Road though....
Try coming in from the south, there's at least a dozen between the M11 & the other side of Trumpington

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Try coming in from the south, there's at least a dozen between the M11 & the other side of Trumpington
Trumpington?
A name of ill omen.
Oops, sorry :eek:, the news is getting to me.

Gavin Sowry

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Nothing new, it must be 50 years ago now and our family was heading down to the South West and we went through Bristol. It seems they had recently created some sort of one way system which we negotiated until we came across a longish straight three maybe four lane road with a big gantry over it bearing the sign "GET IN LANE" however there was nothing to say what lane went where. Reached the junction at the end and of course we were completely the wrong side so went round the system again. This time although we knew now which lane to be in the whole family looked everywhere for signs and there were none until you were at the actual junction and they were so low down any traffic in front of you obscured them.

Paul
Yeah, I can relate to that. Driving from Vegas to San Fran, and I told my BiL who was navigating, 'We'll turn off I-5 at the San Jose off ramp".
Well, I'm doing 80 mph, and BiL gives instructions at 20 mph. Cut a long story short, he ends up putting me in the wrong lane, and we missed the turnoff.
"Take the next one" he says, "and go back". "Nah, you'll only get us lost, reckon I can find my way from here". Sure enough, some time later, the welcome sight of a BART train, and then road signs directing us to the Bay Bridge.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
The city council is set on making driving through or about the city as difficult as possible.
Well I can confirm they have certainly achieved that! But there is no signage that is easily followed or even found to take you round either! If they want to keep people away and I get that for traffic they have certainly achieved their aim. Next time to the CfR by car I will come via further to the North not A47

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Trumpington?
A name of ill omen.
'tis a real place, but Cambridge has always been a nightmare for driving - on a couple of occasions while heading out to East Anglia for hols, we had stopped in Cambridge for an evening snack. So far so good.

Getting out was the issue - no signs to the A11, Norwich, or anything in that direction :(:(

The last time we went to Cambridge was for a CIOB dinner where Simon Weston was the after dinner speaker :clap::clap::clap::clap: that was well worth making the trip.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
'tis a real place, but Cambridge has always been a nightmare for driving - on a couple of occasions while heading out to East Anglia for hols, we had stopped in Cambridge for an evening snack. So far so good.

Getting out was the issue - no signs to the A11, Norwich, or anything in that direction :(:(

The last time we went to Cambridge was for a CIOB dinner where Simon Weston was the after dinner speaker :clap::clap::clap::clap: that was well worth making the trip.
Cambridge is a very nice place to visit.....just don't take the car :shake::shake:

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Trumpington?
A name of ill omen.

Trumpington is near Cambridge, and is real.
Trumpton is near Camberwick Green, and is not....

;)

Jon.

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Trumpton is near Camberwick Green, and is not....
What DO you mean? Not real? Of course it's real, I've seen it on the telly loads of times