Monday 7th September 2020.

• Thread starter casey jones snr
  • Start date
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Do Lindon Homes provide a big enough back garden to build a G scale railway?
Probably..

1599477172884.png
Image from Linden Lodge website..

Though by the time most of their residents go there, they may well be beyond building it. :(

pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
>:) >:) the last piece of the jigsaw has arrived - a small push button on / off switch ;);)
Small, you say. Last piece of the jigsaw you say. Why not just lob it into the shagpile carpet right now and save yourself the wait? :giggle:

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Good Day All. Labor day has arrived, marking the unofficial end of Summer.....:(.....While we here in the east are enjoying pleasant weather, western states, especially California is struggling with record breaking heat and wildfires. And in Colorado and environs, it will be in the 90s today, but tomorrow will see temps in the 30s with heavy snow.....o_O.....So non-believers of climate change should take heed. It's real, not Memorex !

Good Morning.
A warm sunny day here in edge of the South Hams. I had issues getting in to this place but that was resolved a couple of weeks ago.
It has been a warm and very dry summer but railway work and operating had to take a back seat. My wooded areas at the front of the house were getting totally out of hand and consequently a lot odd work was needed yo remove lots of plants and bushes and grass the area. Just some trees and bushes remain. Twenty dumpy bags and lots of old logs were taken to the recycling plant. We have another five waiting to go. As an octagenarian it was hard work and my wife is not as able as I am but I do feel a little fitter despite a lockdown of over five months.
One of mys very strong sons came and helped get the railway sorted out, after we finished the garden work. I had a grade which was caused ny a tree root. It has been a concern since I built the railway over fifteen years ago. I had two minus points: one a grade and secondly two curves on the grade.
Basically half the line was lowered - as much as three or four inches in one area and the root removed. A brick base has substituted the previous thick timbers which, of course had started to deteriorate over the years. I have removed ballast and replaced it with a tarmac in some areas - large buckets of the stuff, designed for tarmac repairs. Two of the buckets were given to me.
Ballast looks great, and I miss its appearance but it has a habit of germinating seeds at a lightening pace.
I got trains running again, but only to be thwarted by my dog who decided to tunnel near a neighbours boundary!!
The area chosen is where my station and freight depot are situated. A mess of the whole area he made. So remove everything, track as well, lay more bricks and concrete: he won't dig there again! So trains can run again. I am also painting all the outdoor structures as we may pay for the lovely summer with a grim winter.
Today is a rest day for the Tour de France, so the tv will not be drawing me indoors today.

Wow ! It took a few seconds for it to sink in that you have been on this planet for a century.....:clap:.....Keep moving, it's what keeps you young, even if it's only young at heart !

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Wow ! It took a few seconds for it to sink in that you have been on this planet for a century.....:clap:.....Keep moving, it's what keeps you young, even if it's only young at heart !
Totally agree with the sentiments, Dan, but an Octagenarian isn't QUITE a Centenarian (yet!).... ;)

Still, there is no way I could have shifted all that soil, even at two decades younger - keep it up, Alan, and all power to your elbow (and knees....) :D

Jon.

Madman

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Totally agree with the sentiments, Dan, but an Octagenarian isn't QUITE a Centenarian (yet!).... ;)

Still, there is no way I could have shifted all that soil, even at two decades younger - keep it up, Alan, and all power to your elbow (and knees....) :D

Jon.

Whoops, got the two terms mixed up. Don't want to make anyone older than they are.....:rofl:

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
Good afternoon folks. I’ve had a visit from Jon(Dunnyrail) and Barney today. We had a little running session and Jon left with a load of Peco track and other stuff.
23984D6E-EEE7-4CFB-AB7F-679AAA406F05.jpeg CB1861DC-51E8-4E72-9FE5-A491AA6462AF.jpeg
Jons railcar passing through Priory Station.
61F232F8-F992-47E6-9564-1694F25772A6.jpeg
Barney getting a bit of fuss from the tea room manager.

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Good afternoon world, no finger slippage today I have spent all this and next months money on a :lipssealed:

pugwash

pugwash

impecunious pirate
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg

A) I'm glad it is Jon's railbus and not a sign Roundhouse have lost their collective minds
B) I could be tempted into visiting the teahouse :happy:
C) Preston and an electric screwdriver.... possibly a new Wallce and Gromit on the way :clap:

Reactions: 1 user
The Devonian

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Thanks to those who have commented. It was hard going. A few more years before I get that lovely card but, providing I make the century, I guess it will be Charles III or the boy. I was lucky to see two cards from HM The Queen before lockdown kicked in. Two ladies, to whom I take communion both made their century. Interestingly the cards were similar but HM wore different coloured clothing.
Back to painting now, after lunch and an hours break. ;)

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Were there links to pictures? - I only see a link to something a little bigger? :(

Chris Vernell

Chris Vernell

Certified
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
G'day, all :hi:. As Madman noted, it is Labour Day, which don't make no nevermind to me but my working offspring appreciate the day off.
I awoke to the patter of rain. It has stopped, but more is forecast.
The trestle siding is under a tarp to give yesterday's spray varnishing a chance to dry fully.
Today's labours, if any, will be in the basement.
Onward :yawn:

Last edited:
ntpntpntp

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Bachmann Connie main drive gear, identified a couple of weekends ago as probably split, tonight checked and replaced with the Bachmann brass gear and axle this evening. It took about 30 mins, following a series of photos I found

Bachmann Spectrum Consolidation repair

IMG_3547.JPG IMG_3548.JPG IMG_3549.JPG

mike

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Good morning, All!

Slightly jealous, Mike.. Looks to be not too crowded, and people being sensible? :angel::think:

A little dull, and overcast, here in the middle..

Things to pack, and then leave-alone for a couple of days.. Then can be delivered 'by-hand'. - Gloved, of course! :rolleyes:
The item(s) within the package, will not have been handled for several days when they are delivered. - Overkill? Not if they are going into a nursing home, which is presently Covid-free..
Good morning, All!

Slightly jealous, Mike.. Looks to be not too crowded, and people being sensible? :angel::think:

A little dull, and overcast, here in the middle..

Things to pack, and then leave-alone for a couple of days.. Then can be delivered 'by-hand'. - Gloved, of course! :rolleyes:
The item(s) within the package, will not have been handled for several days when they are delivered. - Overkill? Not if they are going into a nursing home, which is presently Covid-free..
We booked online, as required, you need to book a compartment, minimum of 2 adults, and yes, you have to sit in it, and there is a seperat empty compartment between you and the next group.
Loved it

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Good afternoon folks. I’ve had a visit from Jon(Dunnyrail) and Barney today. We had a little running session and Jon left with a load of Peco track and other stuff.
View attachment 272722 View attachment 272723
View attachment 272724
Ah he got me chatting the lovely lady from the Cafe, though she was only interested in Barney. Thanks for a sweet deal Paul, great to enjoy your hospitality again.

Dropped in on Palstig (Paul) on the way home, Leicester is a hell hole for traffic and why is it that there are so many signs but too few with Road Numbers? Navigating sans twit nav in a disaster area.

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
Ah he got me chatting the lovely lady from the Cafe, though she was only interested in Barney. Thanks for a sweet deal Paul, great to enjoy your hospitality again.

Dropped in on Palstig (Paul) on the way home, Leicester is a hell hole for traffic and why is it that there are so many signs but too few with Road Numbers? Navigating sans twit nav in a disaster area.
Apparently, Leicester has the most traffic lights in the country. There are also plenty of traffic signs but most of them are utterly confusing. The city council is set on making driving through or about the city as difficult as possible.

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Apparently, Leicester has the most traffic lights in the country. There are also plenty of traffic signs but most of them are utterly confusing. The city council is set on making driving through or about the city as difficult as possible.
i wonder if going round in ever decreasing circles, had anything to do with Leicester's infamy over Covid? :(:wondering:

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
InOtherNews:
Mum now has her mobile phone, and despite it being a teeny-tiny Nokia, has been able to call me for a brief chat. :):inlove:

palstig

palstig

Registered
12 Sep 2016
Rushden
i wonder if going round in ever decreasing circles, had anything to do with Leicester's infamy over Covid? :(:wondering:
Have you ever been on Coventry's ring road. We kept driving on it before realising that we were on our third lap on our way to Coventry Motor Museum and the Doctor Who Exhibition. The latter scared the sh*t out of my 5 year old daughter. Money well spent.

Paul

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Come on fellas, you really expect a ring road to actually help people easily circumnavigate a town do you?