Cheers

David

John Russo

Registered
24 Sep 2015
PA
Country flag
Soft of Hard coal? LOL

Kidding aside, we have anthracite coal (hard coal) here in Pennsylvania. Not sure what's up in New Castle and Sunderland.

Hard coal has a slight sheen to it. The fish tank gravel work perfectly.

tAqiuXZPcj6G3w9leIKExJO4zr8Rsrw77oUK3Rwg7acw5iZTMfxZTg_coQ63K92MFV1rgMOsldDeMkNIQlmDxekEUGUwSOAmx-wT7L2XUok34NIKNueuk7C6QEb_G21HhqTHx_kB2R96WoG7aFi5eulAIpdU0d9Z7poHyDizL_32FqY2j8zVjZ1L1WwoWq7gKU3NB4KOO4zf62syXL25Ppn4expNQxs1BPyVQ0QLBJndF1NhDAm_A0_1PdsAe9rikz_tSOt_stm3kt0y6guSx6Zio5sgBS9RVJKwc8Ry2X38Ue8rO2xl8GfvJ7IZgf9ceKEqEEM6JzwT9XR6OKjtqbhT20ytmjqGJu1T_ghOwMtz6FdgPnGUnjqEC8HrlbTAOc-JghSA603ueIlnPP7m5XyVTP1nOY3QlxAafGcsA-iE9dtarLbFSiXR-PpxUg__T8Vp6V7TseihqeHp9bva65DxR3nUqLrHai2_I8XCyve20dVdft6ZD3FeP5y7__aqnSH8vsWYyvreNUlMM31EOGDE9LW09gdW_m5rSQJZk7q3LuchC8iqZj7FUxF60YWCgc_IXjVFzRFELh5vW4GG7M_G_fZleManW4ieQecgsRqETLGJjCx2kpRAE8ltFiHwUshhWkhRM_YdgughF_H0Bua0srqM7SZLXxchbSCYPrBj7VwKR7wzYVwapI_mjq1kjfWN5UMRoffAnqeE5Rk=w681-h907-no

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Country flag
Just to finish this thread off, and show I do listen to good advice, I've finally finished my new coal wagon loads. I was lucky in that the first material to try, aquarium substrate, was excellent and so I've pressed on all week to make 9 loads with it. A touch oversized perhaps, but very clean and I made a wagon-sized mould, put the false base in, poured the gravel over and then dribbled watery PVA over the top. After about 36 hours, it set hard and transparent and there are no loose lumps to fall off and get me in trouble. I have a signwriter chum who gives me his offcuts, so I used his cellular signboard for the internal support, painted in black masonry paint beneath the substrate material. One wagon has tiny loops of wire in the 'coal' so I can lift it out more easily to get to the battery box and switch for the tail lamp. All in all, pretty pleased with it and looking forward to the Spring, to see if a loco can actually haul the rake of 9 around my garden. And if Humbrol at last gets its act in order and sends my stuff, I might even have been able to weather them a bit by then!

coal_loads.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Country flag
It's good to see those wagons have gone to a good home. They look better than they ever were.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
Just to finish this thread off, and show I do listen to good advice, I've finally finished my new coal wagon loads. I was lucky in that the first material to try, aquarium substrate, was excellent and so I've pressed on all week to make 9 loads with it. A touch oversized perhaps, but very clean and I made a wagon-sized mould, put the false base in, poured the gravel over and then dribbled watery PVA over the top. After about 36 hours, it set hard and transparent and there are no loose lumps to fall off and get me in trouble. I have a signwriter chum who gives me his offcuts, so I used his cellular signboard for the internal support, painted in black masonry paint beneath the substrate material. One wagon has tiny loops of wire in the 'coal' so I can lift it out more easily to get to the battery box and switch for the tail lamp. All in all, pretty pleased with it and looking forward to the Spring, to see if a loco can actually haul the rake of 9 around my garden. And if Humbrol at last gets its act in order and sends my stuff, I might even have been able to weather them a bit by then!

View attachment 293378
So you know Clover Office Supplies in New Street (B1041) St.Neots just before Auction House sells Humbrol Tinlets and you can park in front of them as a customer.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Country flag
So you know Clover Office Supplies in New Street (B1041) St.Neots just before Auction House sells Humbrol Tinlets and you can park in front of them as a customer.
i have a suspicion you two know each other, yes it is a small world.
Thanks for all the advice btw

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Country flag
I tend to do a factory order these days so I can be idle and stay indoors, and coincidentally, my box from Humbrol finally turned up a couple of hours after you posted that, having been lost without trace in the Hermes courier network for 3 weeks! Typically, I had just cleared everything up from painting mode and moved on to start the next winter project, so weathering will have to wait until after Christmas :think:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Country flag
i have a suspicion you two know each other, yes it is a small world.
Thanks for all the advice btw
Sort of, Martyn lives about 15 or so miles from St.Neots. Hoping he will get to some operating days on my line next year.