Mixed trains on the PLR

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Just posted a blog entry about how I marshal and run mixed trains on the PLR. As many of you will know, I do like the logistical problems which shunting operations throw up on my railway. After reading the recently published book on the Southwold Railway where a whole chapter is devoted to operational issues, I felt it was time I formalised the way in which Mixed Trains are managed on the PLR.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... rains.html

I doubt its content will appeal to the majority of garden railway modellers, but I found it to be a very satisfying post to work out and write.

Rik

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
As you say, Rik, it's sometimes the story in your mind that makes the trains work :clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: ge_rik
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Just posted a blog entry about how I marshal and run mixed trains on the PLR. As many of you will know, I do like the logistical problems which shunting operations throw up on my railway. After reading the recently published book on the Southwold Railway where a whole chapter is devoted to operational issues, I felt it was time I formalised the way in which Mixed Trains are managed on the PLR.

https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... rains.html

I doubt its content will appeal to the majority of garden railway modellers, but I found it to be a very satisfying post to work out and write.

Rik
Super blog Rik, the sort of thing that causes little interest with many as they miss the fun and skills of Operating a Railway like the real thing. The methods that you talk about are pretty well near all History now as Mixed Trains with Wagons as you describe are a thing of the past.

Sure you will have read it in your Book, the was constantly being pilloried throughout its existence by the Ministry about not having fully fitted trains, something that the SLR studiously ignored till the sad end of their days.

I must get to grips with this sort of thing for my line, some more rules or at least notes for my overstretched Operators!

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
The new SR book makes interesting reading particularly, for me, the chapter on operational issues. Apparently, the SR ran their mixed trains as loco, freight, passengers, minerals (ie coal), though the luggage van was always marshalled on the Up end of the carriages. Although the Railway Regulations Act stipulated that trains must have a brake van for every ten unbraked wagons, the SR ignored that too. They never had a brake van!

Rik

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
The new SR book makes interesting reading particularly, for me, the chapter on operational issues. Apparently, the SR ran their mixed trains as loco, freight, passengers, minerals (ie coal), though the luggage van was always marshalled on the Up end of the carriages. Although the Railway Regulations Act stipulated that trains must have a brake van for every ten unbraked wagons, the SR ignored that too. They never had a brake van!

Rik
I seem to remember that their approach (probably for the benefit of the Inspectorate) that they marshalled goods wagons between the loco and the carriages. However, from the pictures in my Middleton Press book (which is a photographic odyssey rather than historical account) there is the occasional train with wagons at the end.

I think the SR, despite being in Suffolk, worked on a Normal for Norfolk basis in that, it was so far out on the eastern fringe that it did what it could get away with ;););)

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
.... from the pictures in my Middleton Press book (which is a photographic odyssey rather than historical account) there is the occasional train with wagons at the end.
If the quoted stationmaster was correct, you should find that any wagons tacked on to the end of the train would be coal (mineral) wagons..... They were certainly a law unto themselves

Rik

ge_rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Just been rewatching the videos of the SR on YouTube and it looks like while the practice of putting goods before the passenger coaches and mineral after did appear to be the case, they also would put an open for milk churns immediately after the coaches or luggage van. I assume this helped ensure it stopped at the right place on the platform, particularly at Blythburgh where there was hard standing for the churns. You'll see the churn open in the train from 8m20s onward.....

Rik

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
I can't find that comment about the order of mixed trains, and am wondering whether I have got mixed up with another railway - having said that, is there another remotely like the SR?

However, I did find a reference to the fact that, owing to the lack of continuous brake, the inspectorate imposed a speed limit of 16 mph - something which the local cartoonists frequently exploited :D:D

casey jones snr

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
I’ve really enjoyed this topic. Thanks for posting.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I seem to remember that their approach (probably for the benefit of the Inspectorate) that they marshalled goods wagons between the loco and the carriages. However, from the pictures in my Middleton Press book (which is a photographic odyssey rather than historical account) there is the occasional train with wagons at the end.

I think the SR, despite being in Suffolk, worked on a Normal for Norfolk basis in that, it was so far out on the eastern fringe that it did what it could get away with ;););)
Putting wagons between the engine and coaches would have been one of the DoT issues as that would invalidate any brakes between the loco and carriages unless the wagons were vac brake fitted, which were not and neither were the coaches. Not sure what todays Inspectorate would think about the SLR, but I bet it would not be good.