Missing Decoder!

L

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
A few weeks ago I ordered (and paid for), a Massoth eMotion decoder from one of the normal retailers in the UK. This duly arrived and was set aside until I could find the time to fit it.

Well, today I found the time and carefully broke the seal on the box. Imagine my horror to find there wasn’t a decoder in the box, just the installation and configuration manuals!

Obviously this was dispatched from Germany like this as both seals were unbroken! I’ve contacted the dealer I bought it from but I really don’t see it as their problem. My problem is I can’t prove I haven’t received it.

Looks like I’ll be stumping up for another one:mad:.

Anyone else had this issue?
Les.

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
A few weeks ago I ordered (and paid for), a Massoth eMotion decoder from one of the normal retailers in the UK. This duly arrived and was set aside until I could find the time to fit it.

Well, today I found the time and carefully broke the seal on the box. Imagine my horror to find there wasn’t a decoder in the box, just the installation and configuration manuals!

Obviously this was dispatched from Germany like this as both seals were unbroken! I’ve contacted the dealer I bought it from but really don’t see it as their problem. My problem is I can’t prove I haven’t received it.

Les.
Not with Massoth..

A certain retailer bought-up all the Revolution onboard RC he could get his hands on..
Many of those packs, were just stuffed with whatever had been lying-about, so parts missing!

It may be worth contacting Massoth directly? - There should be various part / serial numbers on the box? - They may take pity on you??
You could also mention which retailer it was (to Massoth) who might be able to apply a little pressure???

L

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Not with Massoth..

A certain retailer bought-up all the Revolution onboard RC he could get his hands on..
Many of those packs, were just stuffed with whatever had been lying-about, so parts missing!

It may be worth contacting Massoth directly? - There should be various part / serial numbers on the box? - They may take pity on you??
You could also mention which retailer it was (to Massoth) who might be able to apply a little pressure???
Hmm interesting reply PhilP, I’ll do that.
Thank you.
Les.

LGB333

LGB333

Obviously this was dispatched from Germany like this as both seals were unbroken! I’ve contacted the dealer I bought it from but really don’t see it as their problem. My problem is I can’t prove I haven’t received it.

Les.

Les.
Wow, I don't know what your laws and regulations are in Britain, but here in the USA a top retailer would not just wash their hands of your issue. You bought the decoder from your retailer and if the decoder is missing, it's really the retailer's issue. And if I've been a good past customer with a retailer, they would somehow help resolve the issue. In the USA, we call this a fraudulent legal transaction.

I order my Massoth components for the LGB loco installation work I do for customers from Germany and I tell the dealer there what sound file I want installed. This is the normal procedure that Massoth dealers are supposed to follow, and if it's an XLS DCC Sound Decoder, to also insert the correct speaker for the loco you're going to install the decoder into. For Massoth decoders that my customers buy from me to do their own installation, I also follow that procedures to load the applicable sound file the customer wants, and then also test it out, and include the appropriate speaker (XLS only) before shipping it.

I don't mean to be critical, but it appears you're dealing with a unprofessional dealer.
Tom

L

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Wow, I don't know what your laws and regulations are in Britain, but here in the USA a top retailer would not just wash their hands of your issue. You bought the decoder from your retailer and if the decoder is missing, it's really the retailer's issue. And if I've been a good past customer with a retailer, they would somehow help resolve the issue. In the USA, we can this a fraudulent legal transaction.

I order my Massoth components for my customer installation works from Germany and I tell the dealer what sound file I want installed. This is the normal procedure that dealers are supposed to use, and if it's an XLS DCC Sound Decoder, to also insert the correct speaker for the local you're going to install it in. For Massoth decoders I sell to customers here, I also follow that procedures to load the applicable sound file the customer wants, and then also test it out before shipping it.

I don't mean to be critical, but it appears you're dealing with a unprofessional dealer.
Tom
Thanks Tom, I’ve only just contacted the dealer who’s probably closed now (6.30 pm here) so I’ll see what response I get next week.

Les.

Update.
The dealer has been in touch and will be assisting but I still don’t see it as their problem.

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Same laws here..

To clarify:
The Revolution issue was from 'whoever' was disposing of the stock when the company went 'bump'.. So until a (sealed) box was opened, no-one would know what was in it..

It was also not clear that Les had not contacted the retailer.. - I was assuming the retailer had washed their hands of the matter..

Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
With a dealer that won't own up to a faulty shipment, I state: So, is the years of negative opinion I will be giving to anyone who wants to listen worth the wholesale cost of the item to you?

(sometimes I do point out that my product reviews are indeed on my site that has 10 million hits, I have to admit ;))

I've also had a problem that was 5 years old, where the customer service department told me to stuff it, get solved, turns out the owner of the company was reading the forum and I had commented on how I received an empty box, and he rectified the situation, i.e. sometimes the first person you contact is not the one to solve your issue.

It was Wholesale Trains here in the USA, and the owner is an upright person, and I suppose the customer service person that told me to stuff it was shortly unemployed.

Greg

Reactions: mike
L

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Please note:
I‘ve edited my original post and added ‘I’ to this sentence “ I’ve contacted the dealer I bought it from but I really don’t see it as their problem.”

My apologies for any confusion.
Les.

Reactions: mike
muns

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
Now now everyone, please do not start throwing aspersions about the dealer in question....the dealer in question resides on this forum and does not like to be branded unprofessional!

Reactions: JimmyB and mike
Greg Elmassian

Greg Elmassian

Registered
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
www.elmassian.com
Reading over again, it appears this was what we call "drop shipped", i.e. order from a dealer, but shipped directly from the manufacturer/distributor/seller to your home.

So I see the reasoning that the error was not caused by the dealer.

But, then who is responsible? The manufacturer/distributor to your dealer would be the logical conclusion. Clearly someone made a mistake, since you say the box had 2 intact seals, so we can rule out the shipping company. But the "contract" was between your dealer and the manufacturer/distributor/seller.

To clarify my example, my shipment was poorly packed, and burst in shipment, and when I contacted customer service they told me I had to rectify it with the shipping company, when indeed it is the shipper, not the receiver that has to file the claim. By the time I got that understood, it was beyond the claim window for FedEx...

Anyway, I hope someone tracks it down and takes responsibility, clearly it is enough of a problem to post here, no matter who the parties are.

Greg

Rhinochugger

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Reading over again, it appears this was what we call "drop shipped", i.e. order from a dealer, but shipped directly from the manufacturer/distributor/seller to your home.

So I see the reasoning that the error was not caused by the dealer.

But, then who is responsible? The manufacturer/distributor to your dealer would be the logical conclusion. Clearly someone made a mistake, since you say the box had 2 intact seals, so we can rule out the shipping company. But the "contract" was between your dealer and the manufacturer/distributor/seller.

To clarify my example, my shipment was poorly packed, and burst in shipment, and when I contacted customer service they told me I had to rectify it with the shipping company, when indeed it is the shipper, not the receiver that has to file the claim. By the time I got that understood, it was beyond the claim window for FedEx...

Anyway, I hope someone tracks it down and takes responsibility, clearly it is enough of a problem to post here, no matter who the parties are.

Greg
Reading between the lines of the post before yours, Greg, I would suggest it's going to be sorted ;)

L

Lez2000

Registered
2 Oct 2019
Update:

The dealer (Garden Rail Outlet) has been in touch with Massoth on my behalf. They have agreed to provide a replacement for the missing decoder and offered their apologies.

I can’t ask for more than that.
Many thanks to Mark at GRO.

Les.