Mine tram, some questions for the 32mm fellows

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I'm wanting to build a 32mm mining tram for my as-yet-to-be-built coal mine and loading tipple. And I'm at the collecting ideas phase.

Here is a vintage prototype picture, from a mine that was located behind a house I where used to live, to give you an idea of what I'm taking about.
indernest1.gif

OK, here's the starting point. I HAVE a pair of old Faller 'e' train 0-6-0s, I'm looking at an Atlas 2 rail O scale 3 axle dismal that could be rescaled into a Plymouth or Brookville. I have wheelsets for 10 4 wheel mine cars, can get more, and am thinking those Larry G scale 4-1/2" long 'ore car' bodies on feebay would make dandy mine cars, and save a bunch of time.

I have some Faller 'e' track (2 circles and about 10 feet of straight), or I can get Riverossi or Atlas 2 rail O stuff fairly cheap... Trouble is, 1. I'm not sure what is or isn't UV stable. and 2. 2 rail turnouts are kind of spendy, and I'll probably need about 4 or 5 of them (the 'e' train ones appear to be made of unobtanium).

Also, which would be better, a half hidden loop or does someone make an inexpensive reversing unit ?

ideas? suggestions?
thanks

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The starting point sounds great, you cold look at the battery Operated LGB Big Big Diesel as a Non Electric also loco.

Track wise, if you are not sure I believe that you can get UV Safe paint that would protect the Plastic sleepers, cannot give a name but you ought to be able to Google it. Rail will be no problem so long as it is Brass or Nickel, which I believe most of the names you mentioned are. However a small Warning, Lima used to make suitable track in both Brass and Steel! Also think about additional switching and bonding of your points before laying. I would be tempted to convert them to live frog too as you will be using small loco?s outside. Faller stuff does appear on Evil Bay on occasion. Look at UK and Germany. But be patient.

Another option for full supply of your concept may be Regner that makes everything that you would need in 30mm track gauge. Look at their Feldbahn range.

Go for the hidden loop, put different numbers on the side of each Loco and Wagon, you doubled your stock at a stroke of the Pen (well paint Brush).

Please post us some pictures of your progress, I and I am sure many others are sneaky Mine Tramway Nuts.

Hope this helps,
JonD

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
I run my lgb wagons on both 45mm and 32mm track

bbee085995f74a208ad31df3ebf695ee.jpg

762b77fae9cd40e6815db046744ec8dc.jpg