Mik's quick 'n easy rattle can weathering

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
First, I'm not an expert at painting, let's get that out of the way from the beginning. An expert at runs, sags, thin spots and brush marks, maybe. But I kind of stumbled onto a process that can cover a lot of mistakes, and actually doesn't look half bad (to me at least). Let me walk you through it and see if it won't possibly work for some of you as well....

Here we have the 'freshly outshopped' (painted) model. Yes, the colors are a bit bright. My "weathering" process will mute them considerably, subtler colors and differences at this point would just be lost on the final result.
P1010005_04.JPG

Next, add your rust, lime, drips, etc.... Again, be BOLD with the colors. Now is also when you'll want to put on any decals.
P1010001_08.JPG

Make sure to mask off everything you DON'T want weathered. Index cards are great for larger areas...
It's also much easier to mask the window openings by simply sticking tape to the inside without the 'glass' in place.
P101000211.JPG

To actually do the weathering you'll need 3 basic colors of spray bombs (aerosol cans). Flat brown, flat grey, and flat black. A flat beige/almond is handy too, if you have it. I usually just use the cheapest primer colors I can find. Remember to think of what direction nature puts on the real crud from. Dust and mud is kicked up by the wheels from below. Soot and ash fall from above - heaviest closest to the stack, lighter as it gets further away....

First color on is the brown. You aren't trying to paint, all you want to do is dust everything with a bit of overspray. Standing back about two feet and moving fast with short bursts gets the best results. Go lightly, it's easier to add more than try to undo too much.
P10100031.JPG

Next on is grey. Again, just dust it...
P10100041.JPG

Third on is the black. Fourth (if you use it) is the almond. Go back and add more of each color if needed. If you get real close it looks speckled and ugly, but from 3 feet away everything blends together, just like black dots on white paper make up a newsprint photo. Now you can reinstall figures and windows. You'll end up with something like this.
P1010.JPG

More projects weathered with the same basic process, you can vary the proportions and order of application to get different effects.
PB260002.JPG
P1010003_08.JPG

P1005.JPG

P3300001.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That first loco's a cracker - done it proud :clap::clap:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job and with rattlecans too. Well done.

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
They look brill,what a simple process to, will be having a go at this one, well done.
m6.gif