Make do and mend with LGB or other G Scale Trains.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
We all have those items that need some TLC and frequently we see requests for spare parts, many of these requests are met by good natured members that have squirreled away lots of this and that. But what happens if the pot runs dry, no one has the bits and Marklin continue their race to the bottom by not supplying spares? Well that was probably a bit unkind but most of us remember the happy days of LGB that had lots of spares of near everything. Where is this going I hear you ask?

Look at this Van below.
9AB208E1-E8BE-43E1-B35E-601720375DC0.jpeg

Looks as bought yes? Hm not quite, I had long fancied one of these with a love of French light railways one of these fitted in nicely with my Corpet. But I never spied one except that around the time (2010?) that LGB spares were being flogged of on German Ebay the Body and I mean body with doors only became available. I think the doors were a separate pair of items. Anyway I got it from Germany and was faced with the need for a Chassis and Roof. The Chassis was fortunately in stock as were the Metal Wheels. But what about the door handles? These had to to be fashioned out of some wire and a nail.
C99C24EF-AEC8-47B2-B598-8B51958DF7E5.jpeg

Then there was the roof, this was fasioned out of Plasticard with regular full length scribes to keep the curves in place, a top canvas was made out of Workshop Cleaning Roll glued on with sloppy PVA. Not perfection but it works for me.
C97C8F3A-7D51-47C9-963E-3A0E78E9151A.jpeg

So there it is, probably not a collectors LGB piece but it works fine and looks good in service.

What have you bodged back together in a similar way to this?

Reactions: tac foley
Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Snowpluff bashed from a tatty postvan I brought cheap from Glendale.

Most of my maintenance fleet are simple bashes from Bachmann, HLW or LGB and sprayed with sunset yellow....

thumbnail_20200530_172434.jpg

Reactions: tac foley
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I have brought a few parts from Peter Zenner to repair old LGB wagons....

Jasper

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
But what about the door handles? These had to to be fashioned out of some wire and a nail.
Looks the part to me. I like it.

But then I'll always favour self fashioned things over a perfect look. In my own stuff and that of others. That's why I mostly scratchbuild. If it's off the shelf, or a kit, I'll fool around with it until it becomes so different that I feel it's become my thing.

Last edited:
Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
I thought this train would be a good example of a make do and mend train.

All these wagons were brought second hand from various sources.

One of the first things I do is change any plastic wheels for steel ones, usually Bachmann/Lilliput or if I can get them for a good price, LGB ones.

I also make sure I fit both loops with hooks, for more secure coupling if possible. I had to do this for all the 2 axle Post Vans, which came from Ebay.

The lighter green van had the old style hook and loop couplers. You cannot easily fit a hook to these, so I swapped out the axle trucks for the more recent version.

The bogie van was purchased from Glendale Junction just before they closed. It has some holes drilled at the end, possibly for tail lights but these have been removed. However, there are 2 power pickup axles on this van, which I might remove and use elsewhere.

This train will be my parcels train. The ones I remember from my youth had an assortment of vans, some were blue, some were blue/grey and there was even the odd maroon vehicle (I can remember seeing a steam loco near my home when I was around 5 years old, just before they were withdrawn from BR).

I liked seeing these trains with a hotch-potch of postal vans.

Whatlep lately of this parish had a similar green parcels train. I'll couple a green LGB 3063 carraige to this consist to give the postal staff a crew coach, and so that the rake has that eclectic mix of rolling stock....

thumbnail_20200614_151529.jpg

Jasper

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Ref the older Hooks, yes they are a pain but I have made my own for some vehicles and fitted an LGB on others. The vintage makes a difference. Both of these vans had the same type of coupler like below with no hook at the other end.
FB64385C-08D1-4B1E-A080-992C43A3BAC0.jpeg

This one has had a hook made out of some brass with a bit of lead wrapped round to get it to sit right, the other one has a similar bodge with the lead but is an adapted later LgB hook.
559A2A70-6970-4297-87E2-C7D5E60DD492.jpeg

3EE5D43C-FA79-4C4D-BC19-08B593057D63.jpeg

I have to say neither is satisfactorily easy to uncouple hence they have been used on vans that always sit in the middle of a Passenger consist as was quite usual on the Selktalbahn in the days of the DR as shown below. Wow that loco has not seen the light of day for a couple of years now since I went all Battery.
990844D4-992C-4555-A4CC-720449D1D505.jpeg

Jasper

Jasper

11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
A van that sits in the middle of a fixed passenger consist? Just when you thought you"d seen everything...

Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Ref the older Hooks, yes they are a pain but I have made my own for some vehicles and fitted an LGB on others. The vintage makes a difference. Both of these vans had the same type of coupler like below with no hook at the other end.
View attachment 268172
This one has had a hook made out of some brass with a bit of lead wrapped round to get it to sit right, the other one has a similar bodge with the lead but is an adapted later LgB hook.
View attachment 268173
View attachment 268174
I have to say neither is satisfactorily easy to uncouple hence they have been used on vans that always sit in the middle of a Passenger consist as was quite usual on the Selktalbahn in the days of the DR as shown below. Wow that loco has not seen the light of day for a couple of years now since I went all Battery.
View attachment 268175
That's a good modification Jon!

I will probably keep the axle truck with the hook and use it on another vintage wagon. I have one or two about?

You're welcome to the hook-less axle truck if you want it....

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
That's a good modification Jon!

I will probably keep the axle truck with the hook and use it on another vintage wagon. I have one or two about?

You're welcome to the hook-less axle truck if you want it....
Thanks Gizzy, but I already have a few stashed in the loft from wagons that I managed to convert using more modern ones. My stock is indeed a mongrel lot.

dunnyrail

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Ohhh me likes your van a lot!!!! That is 100% the way I like em!!!

If in need, after demolishing the Chiquita wagons I have a few spare door handles?
Very kind Henri, but I rather like my little bodge so it will be staying that way. Just adds that personal Dunny touch!