low sound any ideas

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I've just fitted a Dallee sound card into an Alco by Aristocraft and the volume output is poor. I put in a recharable battery pack and 8ohm 3 to 5 watt speakers 2 of them so had expected to be blown away. You can hear it but its not loud. Yes the volume switch is turned up to full and the loco runs a normal.
I have a myloco sound card fitted to a steam loco with a 1 watt speaker and boy its loud so I had expected the same kind out put from the DAllee card but I am disapointed in it or have I wired something wrong any suggestion???
I run on analog 10amp so plenty of power. :thinking:

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Two speakers might be too much for the soundcard. Try it with just one.

craigrailinc

Registered
1 Nov 2009
Bonny Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
oh nice railway. dont know if I could get that size in the garden.
So much for the Dallee sound card expensive card for out put should have got a myloco for half the money!! live and learn eh.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Regarding the power output of a sound card. If you run your hifi at 1 Watt inside the house, you probably won't be able to stay in the same room for long, its so loud. The Brian Jones sound card i have has two versions with 2W or 5W output. The 5W output version has a warning about not using it at full volume! The 2W one is planty loud enough, i run it at about 1/3 full volume on my loco.

The power rating of the speakers only tells you the maximum power they will handle. The loundness will mainly depend on the output of the soundcard. Some speakers will be more efficient at turning the electrical signal into sound.