Looking for some guidance on LGB Stainz and rolling stock

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
Greetings Bill!

I bought a new old stock (NOS) German Stainz starter set with track and controller off eBay for $200 a couple of years ago. It was in brand new condition. Also because I wanted a Matra crane and low side gondola:)

I also have a newer 0-4-0 Märklin loco. The German Stainz weighs more because it has real lead weights inside it, which is no longer allowed. It is from around 2004 and it is a tank. The kids drop it and push it around and it is flawless.

My Märklin LGB 0-4-0 (a Lenz type i, a brother of Franzburg) has suffered at the hands of the children as well and hasn’t handled it as well. Of course it is (was! Ha!) a more detailed model than the Stainz.

However, the 200x Stainz has horrid scratchy “chuff” sounds that are always turned off.

cheers,

- Dennis
Was hoping the Stainz could handle a light amount of abuse. That sounds like a great deal you found on Ebay. Will have to keep eyes open.

dennishodge

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
I got the Work Train Set, 72402. Here's one available new for $239. Or you can "Make Offer", usually gets you a tad off.

OnlyTrains has a bunch of old starter sets available, but they're about $300 each.

You can often find just the Stainz loco available used for around $100 +/-. If you have Facebook, try the G Scale Swap & Shop group.

- Dennis

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
I got the Work Train Set, 72402. Here's one available new for $239. Or you can "Make Offer", usually gets you a tad off.

OnlyTrains has a bunch of old starter sets available, but they're about $300 each.

You can often find just the Stainz loco available used for around $100 +/-. If you have Facebook, try the G Scale Swap & Shop group.

- Dennis
I use Facebook Market Place, will have to check out the G Scale Swap & Shop!

D

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Welcombe Bill, As its been said many times before you can get lots of help here,

Have you thought about "Trainworld" in New York, they do post if required. Good luck :)

LGB333

LGB333