Looking for some guidance on LGB Stainz and rolling stock

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
Hello all. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Bill and I am wanting to get back into the hobby. A few years ago i sent up my first perminate outdoor layout. around 80' of LGB track, 1 Bachmanm Big Hauler starter set, a Bachmann lil Big Hauler set and a Thomas engine. They all ran well. I got busy and now the layout is basically weeds.

I want to clean it up and add some new trains. LGB has caught my eye. I have picked up 4 of the smaller coaches and a caboose. Looking for a Stainz engine to pull them. From what I have seen on line, can get a used 40 year old starter set for around $300 or a new one for $400. Would be nice to have an engine with smoke and sound. Know LGB has been sold, not sure if the new stuff is as good as the old stuff. Looking for some advice on getting a nice engine. Planning on kids using this layout, while I hope the use the bachmann stuff sure at some point my Stainz will be bumped of the track a few times.

Any insight greatly apprechated.

LGB333

LGB333

Hello all. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Bill and I am wanting to get back into the hobby. A few years ago i sent up my first perminate outdoor layout. around 80' of LGB track, 1 Bachmanm Big Hauler starter set, a Bachmann lil Big Hauler set and a Thomas engine. They all ran well. I got busy and now the layout is basically weeds.

I want to clean it up and add some new trains. LGB has caught my eye. I have picked up 4 of the smaller coaches and a caboose. Looking for a Stainz engine to pull them. From what I have seen on line, can get a used 40 year old starter set for around $300 or a new one for $400. Would be nice to have an engine with smoke and sound. Know LGB has been sold, not sure if the new stuff is as good as the old stuff. Looking for some advice on getting a nice engine. Planning on kids using this layout, while I hope the use the bachmann stuff sure at some point my Stainz will be bumped of the track a few times.

Any insight greatly apprechated.
Hi Bill - I'd suggest you buy one of the newer LGB starter sets which will be more reliable than buying an old used one. You can also get a newer Stainz with factory sound.

Marklin Germany bought out the bankrupt LGB (Ernst Paul Lehmann Patentwerk) in 2007 and they make good quality locomotives and rolling stock.

Gizzy

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Good words of advice from Tom there, but I would also consider older LGB. In its day, it was well made and virtually bomb proof!

I'd go as far to say it is of better quality than Marklin, even though that company makes high end products.

I've have LGB locos, wagons and track I've picked up second hand of some age, and it's all perfectly serviceable, or easily repaired....

LGB333

LGB333

Good words of advice from Tom there, but I would also consider older LGB. In its day, it was well made and virtually bomb proof!

I'd go as far to say it is of better quality than Marklin, even though that company makes high end products.

I've have LGB locos, wagons and track I've picked up second hand of some age, and it's all perfectly serviceable, or easily repaired....
Gizzy - As a 30 years plus LGB hobbyist, I would agree that the quality of the original LGB locos is hard to beat........but I have three Marklin-made LGB locos and I'm very satisfied with them although I'm not keen on their mfx technology since I'm pure DCC.......I just adjust CV50 to deactive the mfx. The reason I tend to want to buy new or like-new LGB locos is that most I install ESU or Massoth DCC Sound Decoders into. And if I have to do much overhaul of a loco's motor block, it just adds more time and effort to the project. I have a part-time LGB loco repair and DCC conversion business that I've been doing now for five years. I was a strictly DC/Analog hobbyist prior to that but then caught the DCC fever and will never look back! The other issue I've learned about DCC conversions is that DCC is less forgiving with problem motor blocks, motors, other electrical aspects. So, again, if the motor block/motor has issues, then the new DCC system might not work or fail down the pike. A good example: A friend bought a cheaper used LGB 2018D Mogul (first LGB American style LGB made starting in 1985 timeframe) instead of buying a like-new version for more money. When I opened up the motor block, there was lots of lead contamination in all the gears and I had to clean it out an install new idler gears. It also was missing the lead weights in the motor block. So all the work I had to do to get it operational probably cost him more than the extra $100 for the like-new model. Check out my Website for sample ESU and Massoth DCC Sound Systems I've installed for customers recently.........the ESU I've just started using and selling and they're excellent!
Tom

P

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Welcome blk69. Have you really name for ease of use? You get all the advice you need on here, just watch out for the humour

Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Gizzy - As a 30 years plus LGB hobbyist, I would agree that the quality of the original LGB locos is hard to beat........but I have three Marklin-made LGB locos and I'm very satisfied with them although I'm not keen on their mfx technology since I'm pure DCC.......I just adjust CV50 to deactive the mfx. The reason I tend to want to buy new or like-new LGB locos is that most I install ESU or Massoth DCC Sound Decoders into. And if I have to do much overhaul of a loco's motor block, it just adds more time and effort to the project. I have a part-time LGB loco repair and DCC conversion business that I've been doing now for five years. I was a strictly DC/Analog hobbyist prior to that but then caught the DCC fever and will never look back! The other issue I've learned about DCC conversions is that DCC is less forgiving with problem motor blocks, motors, other electrical aspects. So, again, if the motor block/motor has issues, then the new DCC system might not work or fail down the pike. A good example: A friend bought a cheaper used LGB 2018D Mogul (first LGB American style LGB made starting in 1985 timeframe) instead of buying a like-new version for more money. When I opened up the motor block, there was lots of lead contamination in all the gears and I had to clean it out an install new idler gears. It also was missing the lead weights in the motor block. So all the work I had to do to get it operational probably cost him more than the extra $100 for the like-new model. Check out my Website for sample ESU and Massoth DCC Sound Systems I've installed for customers recently.........the ESU I've just started using and selling and they're excellent!
Tom
I must be a nearly 25 year LGB man myself Tom, but the newer MLGB stuff is way above my pay grade nowadays.... o_O

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
Hi Bill - I'd suggest you buy one of the newer LGB starter sets which will be more reliable than buying an old used one. You can also get a newer Stainz with factory sound.

Marklin Germany bought out the bankrupt LGB (Ernst Paul Lehmann Patentwerk) in 2007 and they make good quality locomotives and rolling stock.
Are the new sets sold under the name LGB, Marklin or both?

LGB-Sid

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
I have now Bought 7 Stainz locos in total , one new and 6 second hand , apart from one they are all the versions with the plastic side rods so are 4 pin boxes easy to convert to DCC, there are some worn out over priced things out there, but there are some good bargains as well, all 6 of mine have probably only ever seen a few laps around the track before somebody got bored with them and put them in the back of the cupboard, usual a picture of the wheels and skates show hardly any wear , and then sold them one day.
One of mine I bought as a set, I sold the track and controller, and the two coaches too separate new homes for the same value just about as I paid for the set, so the Stainz was free really :) Only two of my Stainz still look like Stainz the rest get changed a little bit.

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England

I have several Stainz's dating from the early 70's to early 2000's. All running analogue.
I like them all for different reasons, yes they have their foibles, but for me it's the fun of rebuilding wrecked and misused locos into usable runners. No two are exactly the same.
Poor old Odin. (below.) Is a late nineties model 20212 that was handed to me as a lump of mud after being found in the bottom of an half filled in pond. Needless to say the electrics were just a mass of green verdigris and the green plastic of the cab looked like a camouflage pattern. Amazingly the wheels cleaned up a treat and with the addition of only a few 2nd hand parts, a pair of shiny new nameplates and a rattle can spray job she was soon back at work.
Old stainz's never die, they just get reincarnated...
Paul.
2020-07-09 001 003.JPG

LGB333

LGB333

Are the new sets sold under the name LGB, Marklin or both?
Bill - You'll find LGB locomotives and starter sets made by the former LGB company and since 2007 Marklin-made under the LGB name and model numbers. Go on eBay and you can find usually many of the older LGB Stainz Sets. Always check the listing's photos of the slider shoes and wheels to determine how much wear to indicate how much operating usage. If they don't show a photo of these, send a eBay message to the seller to send the photo to you or post it on their listing. Besides the physical condition of the loco shown in the photos, the main determination of usage is the wear shown on the wheels/slider shoes. You don't want to spend higher amounts for a heavily used locomotive. If the slider shoes show very little wear and the loco is in good physical condition, you're usually safe buying it for a good price. And you're also protected by the eBay Buyer's Guarantee that you receive what is described in the eBay listing or you can ask for a refund from the Seller, or an adjustment in the price if you prefer. The eBay Buyer's Guarantee is the best thing going for eBay, and their policy is weighted heavily in favor of the buyers.........eBay will force the seller to refund your money is eBay agrees with your claim for a refund.

I'm now an LGB Dealer but I don't stock many LGB locomotives, do special orders for customers. So, if you want a brand new LGB starter set, visit the LGB Dealer PizzaTrains.com for best online prices such as LGB 72307 Euro Passenger Starter Set with Lights & Sound: $335.

Reactions: tac foley
B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
Bill - You'll find LGB locomotives and starter sets made by the former LGB company and since 2007 Marklin-made under the LGB name and model numbers. Go on eBay and you can find usually many of the older LGB Stainz Sets. Always check the listing's photos of the slider shoes and wheels to determine how much wear to indicate how much operating usage. If they don't show a photo of these, send a eBay message to the seller to send the photo to you or post it on their listing. Besides the physical condition of the loco shown in the photos, the main determination of usage is the wear shown on the wheels/slider shoes. You don't want to spend higher amounts for a heavily used locomotive. If the slider shoes show very little wear and the loco is in good physical condition, you're usually safe buying it for a good price. And you're also protected by the eBay Buyer's Guarantee that you receive what is described in the eBay listing or you can ask for a refund from the Seller, or an adjustment in the price if you prefer. The eBay Buyer's Guarantee is the best thing going for eBay, and their policy is weighted heavily in favor of the buyers.........eBay will force the seller to refund your money is eBay agrees with your claim for a refund.

I'm now an LGB Dealer but I don't stock many LGB locomotives, do special orders for customers. So, if you want a brand new LGB starter set, visit the LGB Dealer PizzaTrains.com for best online prices such as LGB 72307 Euro Passenger Starter Set with Lights & Sound: $335.
If i go with a new set will definitely check out your website. Thank you for the advice

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
I have several Stainz's dating from the early 70's to early 2000's. All running analogue.
I like them all for different reasons, yes they have their foibles, but for me it's the fun of rebuilding wrecked and misused locos into usable runners. No two are exactly the same.
Poor old Odin. (below.) Is a late nineties model 20212 that was handed to me as a lump of mud after being found in the bottom of an half filled in pond. Needless to say the electrics were just a mass of green verdigris and the green plastic of the cab looked like a camouflage pattern. Amazingly the wheels cleaned up a treat and with the addition of only a few 2nd hand parts, a pair of shiny new nameplates and a rattle can spray job she was soon back at work.
Old stainz's never die, they just get reincarnated...
Paul.
View attachment 269796
This came out the the bottom of a pond? Wow, any coaches down there too? Very nice job restoring this unit. You should put a fishing pole in the Engineers hand or paint a fish on the engine to show its history.

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
I have now Bought 7 Stainz locos in total , one new and 6 second hand , apart from one they are all the versions with the plastic side rods so are 4 pin boxes easy to convert to DCC, there are some worn out over priced things out there, but there are some good bargains as well, all 6 of mine have probably only ever seen a few laps around the track before somebody got bored with them and put them in the back of the cupboard, usual a picture of the wheels and skates show hardly any wear , and then sold them one day.
One of mine I bought as a set, I sold the track and controller, and the two coaches too separate new homes for the same value just about as I paid for the set, so the Stainz was free really :) Only two of my Stainz still look like Stainz the rest get changed a little bit.
Good advice checking the wheels and sliders. What I usually see is highly used engines. Awesome if able to locate one just run around a Christmas Tree now and then. My engine will be run outdoors....don't have the room in my house for G scale.

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
Welcome blk69. Have you really name for ease of use? You get all the advice you need on here, just watch out for the humour
Name's Bill, looks like you have a great forum here. Looking forward to being a member.

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
Tom
I have only run analog. Your sound boards look interesting, will check out your website.

P

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I will heartily second Bill's recommendation to check out pizzatrains.com if you're looking for new LGB in the US. I've been dealing with Jim Kirk, the owner of The LGB Train Shop aka pizzatrains.com for many years and am very satisfied.

Paul2727

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
England
This came out the the bottom of a pond? Wow, any coaches down there too? Very nice job restoring this unit. You should put a fishing pole in the Engineers hand or paint a fish on the engine to show its history.
She was going to be named Poseidon , but I couldn't afford the brass nameplates. However the Odin plates are held in place with a removable adhesive strip so when funds allow... It does give me a grin to see her pulling my short rake of 'seefische' wagons though.
NB: She lost her original funnel to a spade when being dug out, so now sports a non smoking straight funnel originally designed to fit a LGB tram loco. Somewhere I have a photo of the state she was in when I got her, if I can find it I'll post it.
Paul.

Gizzy

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Paul's Stainz reminds me of the one in the model shop of the town were I used to live.

It has been running in the window display for 40 years. Once, the shop window was broken by 2 yobbos, who stole the Stainz and used it as a football.

It was recovered, repaired, and put back running in the window display!

Around 10 years ago, I was given the original track for free. I gave some to another mate and used the other on my layout, but I found the track had worn so much that there was a step which caused derailments. However, I still have this track in use for my DCC programming track, despite the fact it is now probably code 312.... :giggle:

B

blk69

Registered
8 Jul 2020
Central Ohio
She was going to be named Poseidon , but I couldn't afford the brass nameplates. However the Odin plates are held in place with a removable adhesive strip so when funds allow... It does give me a grin to see her pulling my short rake of 'seefische' wagons though.
NB: She lost her original funnel to a spade when being dug out, so now sports a non smoking straight funnel originally designed to fit a LGB tram loco. Somewhere I have a photo of the state she was in when I got her, if I can find it I'll post it.
Paul.
[/QUOTE

Would like to see that picture. Both names suit the engine, do favor Poseidon.

dennishodge

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Greetings Bill!

I bought a new old stock (NOS) German Stainz starter set with track and controller off eBay for $200 a couple of years ago. It was in brand new condition. Also because I wanted a Matra crane and low side gondola:)

I also have a newer 0-4-0 Märklin loco. The German Stainz weighs more because it has real lead weights inside it, which is no longer allowed. It is from around 2004 and it is a tank. The kids drop it and push it around and it is flawless.

My Märklin LGB 0-4-0 (a Lenz type i, a brother of Franzburg) has suffered at the hands of the children as well and hasn’t handled it as well. Of course it is (was! Ha!) a more detailed model than the Stainz.

However, the 200x Stainz has horrid scratchy “chuff” sounds that are always turned off.

cheers,

- Dennis