Loft Railway build.

Harry

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Hi folks,

I posted a short while ago about possible thread corruption, which was a bit stupid really as not only can't I see my own post, I can't see if anyone has replied either.

So, if you have replied, I'm not being rude and ignoring you, it's simply that I can't see your reply.

Harry

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Harry, What is the resolution of your screen?

Greg
Hi Greg,

I think it's 1440 x 900. Incidentally, Page 2 is fine at the moment, it's only page 1 that's scrambled.

Jon has now confirmed that other people do not seem to be having any problems which suggests it must be something at my end, so I'm going to try it on a different PC.

Regards, Harry.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Not posted much in the last few days but work has been ongoing and the boards are now clear of carp so that track planning has been progressing. But first I pleaded for some more R1 and this has been granted thanks to Mike plus an offer from Gizzy. I had been playing around with the concept of even more R1 to get a busier layout, but that in itself became a little self defeating. But a look at the plan below shows what I mean. The plan does not quite match up atbthe top as it should, the Station with LGB is 3 through roads as the bottom one is. A classic continental Station Plan.
2F864323-9984-4EDA-B259-9C7838A92379.jpeg
So the R1 will just be used to exit the Stations and used on the left and right fiddle/passing tracks with Peco as shown on the inset scribbled plans will be used in the Stations. Giving what I hope will be a less is more Railway. All the Peco has been converted to live frogs so the running on DCC will be perfect with clean track, that will stay as such in the loft environment dust permitting. Below the 2 pics show the Peco points laid out to see what can be achieved.

This pic shows the Station which will have the Mine bottom right. Siding toe the right behind the Tank Wagon will be a siding to store empty Coal Wagons waiting loading or perhaps loaded ones waiting a train. Siding to the top left will be a Factory. This gives me pretty well everything that I had planned with R1 but with less need to purchase loads more LGB than I have already agreed to buy. Plus I use the Peco that I had been buying for this project. It would not have been practical to use Peco in the Fiddle Yard or passing Sidings due to space limitations. Where the Tank and Tram Loco stand will allow for running round 3 LGB Toytrain Wagons, just what I plan to use as a load with perhaps a Coach added for the Guard to make shunting more complex.
E3ABC59A-440A-49F5-B816-0BE1B8BE7624.jpeg
Below the other Station, no Loco or Carriage Shed but I like this layout and it is one that I have used in the past that gives interesting operation. Just a passing loop and the two sidings one with a kick back. Should give more space for buildings.
7117EC66-04FE-40B8-8387-51EE32EFE4D9.jpeg
Oh the other thing I did today was to install the 4 LED lights that I sourced from the net, the lighting is so much better now and it comes on immediate unlike the single orrible neon that I had before.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Looks good; lots of operational value there.

I like the Continental 3 track layout at stations; it provides lots of flexibility for running. The only time my great-nephew showed any interest in running trains other than flat out was where there was a three track station allowing him to drop off one train and then pic up another or runaround a train and reverse the journey or swap rolling stock between trains.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Have been doing some odds and ends towards the line. First up I have been removing LGB Fishplates using the method that I linked a few days back.

Short Track Pieces - G Scale Central {Post 9}

Have to say that it works superbly and a lot of fishplates have been removed in short order and replaced after the tab was twisted off with pliers. You do need to use a Vice though, I experimented using a Mole Wrench and does not work as you are using the Vice for some sideways preasure. Alhough I will be using Massoth Clamps on the LGB I want to get the layout setup and do a few test runs with a Battery Loco or two to see that it all hangs together as I want it to. This will involve derisory running with rolling stock to test capacity etc. Well ok just a bit of a train play if you must.

The other thing that I have done today was to make the 4 LBG R1 points that I have more reliably electronically wise. I am not a great believer in the bit of metal or tabs that pass power from the stock rail to the moving rail so have been soldering up wire to make a permanent connection. As these points use the system where these two rails would be the same polarity (for want of a different word) the joining of them is a viable and important step towards reliability so this little mod has relevance in the garden as well.

But first up some pics of points! Ok boring I know but I had not appreciated the difference between LGB R1 points and LGB R1 points. Just look at the 2 pics below, note the difference in length of the movable rail and the differing methods on current connection. Also note on the point below in the second picture that I have already put some wire in to replace a stamped joiner. These can and do fail in the harsh life of points outside and it is well worth checking this before laying points, even new ones. 1942F1C8-ABC0-4650-987D-0265C80A824E.jpeg B7349198-9173-4A52-83DB-1B81CE80BA54.jpeg
So what I have been doing for the fix to the movable part is to drill holes theough the webb, then pass and solder this to the stock rail. I use black wire for obvious reasons and it is a thing of mine to moan when I see any other colour used for both this or normal track feeds except perhaps in fiddle yards. First job was to drill the webb 4 times in each point, I use a vertical drill for this as using a hand held mini drill will result in lots of broken drills. Note that I have also raised the side I am drilling with a scrap of approx 10mm MDF so that the hole goes through the webb and does not try to creep to the side of it.
A05A97A3-AEB4-4953-AE8B-EFDFFDDB38D4.jpeg
So after some soldering this is the result. The same treatment could be done for any of the frog rail contacts that are failed. However if you are using these in the garden or anywhere that is scenic I would suggest running the electrical wire inside the sleepers, bit more of a faff with some more hole drilling of sleepers but worthwhile if you are concerned with aesthetics. Incidentally this process is also worthwhile with LGB R3 points as well. Note also on the lower point some extra brass wire, this was a very used and abused point and the outer stock rail was held in place by a will, certainly not any plastic as you can see if you look closely.
39255A78-4729-4581-8573-2D9300960C40.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Nice work on reclaim, recycling and reusing, top job all round.

Though out of curiosity, what's the story about the screwdriver?
Oh that was the big screwdriver used to remove the fishplates.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Somebody left it on a hot cooker, per chance? :rofl:

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Oh the other thing I did today was to install the 4 LED lights that I sourced from the net, the lighting is so much better now and it comes on immediate unlike the single orrible neon that I had before.
Something I have been wanting to do for a while, can you direct me to the type you went for please?

Paul

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Had a nice delivery of track from Mike today, that has sorted me out with the rest of the LGB or 332 track I needed as 2 of the points are Aristo R1 but they are fine for the fiddle yard. Probably good that I thank those from the Forum that have sold me track towards the project all at very reasonable prices I have to say.

beavercreek Mike LGB Track/Points and a couple of Aristo Points all R1.
MaybachMD Simon Peco Track and points
Casey Jones Peco Track and 1 point

So below is the little pile that arrived today. Most of it has had the Fishplates removed by the method listed earlier, even including 3 600 mm lengths with central fishplates though they are still present.
7D494546-D9F3-4EC9-B0A2-42732000CB27.jpeg
Here is the North Yard as laid out, just waiting some Massoth Clamps ordered from Muns today also of the Forum. The Track sticking up in the air is on the pile of Cardboard that I will be using to make Buildings with. Probably should move it to store elsewhere whilst track laying is occurring. This may get adjusted some yet.
5882ACDC-5535-4622-B597-9EDDB50CA196.jpeg

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Have been fiddling about with the LGB Track and revising the North Yard. But first I had a few more fisplates to remove then I have cleaned the top of the rails to get them nice and shiny using my preferred cleaner I.E. the LGB hand held block. Looking at the last pic on the previous post plus the plan in post #24 things have changed a little. I have been thinking about an Operating Schedule and the traffic arriving the East Yard from the North I.E left will be pretty small thus a short siding for what will likely be a Railcar and the odd wagon or two is all that will be required. This will be the siding with the Buffer Stop. Arriving from the South (right below) is likely to be somewhat busier thus more space will work better. In any case a run round to maximise space is also desirable for Train lengths. Thus the redesign shown below. A kick back to where the Peco box is may be desirable and thought about.
3CA8F554-9025-476E-95DC-A1BCA1259913.jpeg
0FC4191B-719F-4931-8BDC-83ECC5832C02.jpeg
Main power for sockets has also arrived, the pic below showing the South End of the mine Station laid out loosly with Peco shows this. There is another socket at the other end of this Station seen by the vice in one of the above picture.
D85DC359-556C-4A5E-B590-570887A06196.jpeg
Another shelf has been added above the North Yard, it was a somewhat thicker white board than normal so has been routed to track width so that any stock can be stored safely. The cleaner lines of the revised Yard can be better appreciated here, the run round will accommodate 4 standard LGb (likely 5 Toy Train the main wagons to be used) vehicles the same length as the Tank on the shelf.
CF39649C-6DE7-449C-BDCA-7070428AC065.jpeg BDF4D813-6F0E-498F-A086-DA715BF12C70.jpeg