Loft Railway build.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
I have previously posted a couple of pics in the daily roundup but as this is going to be a full blown layout, well that is unless I change my mind amd set up my previously built 0 Gauge Exhibition Layout it will be. That sits under the boards to the side of the loft in Cardboard Boxes that were specially made by me to transport it to shows.

The space I have is roughly 15’ x 8’ so not a lot of space but enough for a modest French/Belgium Secondary Railway. The basics is that it will be a Coal and Log Hauling Railway with Passengers a very poor second or third actually. I did a year or three back do the shelves at either side with the view to using the space as a sort out location for the sundry boxes that are in the loft. Thus giving me known stuff to get rid of. However the build of the Garden Railway plus Operating it and not liking to leave Barney for too long has got in the way of all that. But process has had to be made. If for no other reason than there is no place to put anything now! Thus we come to the pictures, the first few have already been shown but I have reposted them here as a record of this build or perhaps Foley as some would call it.

Looking at the North End of the House that is not attached the work to create some insulation with 25mm Celtex is under way. I used Wicks 25mm Battens and placed the 600mm widths of Celtex between them. A dab or two of No Nails holds the Celtex to the wall but as I move on ensuring that the next batten is good and tight keeps it in place. I also put Shelf Uprights onto the Battens and these are Rawplugged into the wall with 100mm screws. As I got to the area where there are no shelf brackets I just used 70mm screws as the wood is all that is being held up with the Insulation between. Not a very pretty look, but the area will only be a fiddle yard so looks not that important.
48A3E9F0-F88F-4DF6-B097-42E738300F7B.jpeg 395706DA-068B-4060-960F-076074CE61FF.jpeg
Below you can see the loft hatch with the safety rail going round 3 sides, the plank closest is put in place once I am in the loft. Not a lean on job but enough to act as a stop when you touch it job.
80377D71-30CE-4F0E-96D0-DD891292CA7B.jpeg
Having got the end fully insulated it was time to join the 2 baseboards together with another one. I liberated a nice long length or Particle Board from a Skip and it was maneuvered into the loft for just this job. It did not fill the complete gap but as there was some left over small loft flooring in the loft when I moved in, 2 lengths of this have been used to complete the board at this end. The rest will be pressed into service at the other end of the loft by the Chimney Brest which adjoins next doors loft. Below can be seen the boards completed and a quick look at what can be done for a Fiddle Yard this end, it will be used as 2 yards to represent each end of the line, with just 1 Track joined, not that I run continuous that often but I may just now and again, plus it will be handy having the full loop for the LGB Track Cleaner to do its job. Note that I am using LGB R1 for the Fiddle, this line will be traversed by LGB Steam Trams, Trams with no Pans acting as Autorails and LGB Toy Train Wagons of which I have a couple of boxes of, more than enough for this line. Peco will be used in the visible Stations. Oh yes this will be a Track Powered line, one may think with all of my Battery talk that I am against Track Power, far from it DCC has its place but not in my big garden. Thus the Massoth DCC and RC will be used on this line. Point Operation will again be by Air so another small Compressor will need to be sourced plus perhaps a few more Levers and Air Switches though I do still have a few in stock from the demolished Ruschbahn line. Oh yes Andy pressed me to do the security Rail when I moved in on the basis that he was keen for me to do some kind of Loft Railway. Only taken me 8 years to get round to it seriously.
E4D982BF-5048-4A91-924B-82F020E46121.jpeg
B32DC373-0CDC-4438-8AA0-DC4B52A66BCA.jpeg
Just to complete this first post a few pics of the other end that is the shambles to sort out before more progress can be made. That newly completed board WILL be a sorting ground not a dumping ground moving forwards.
D140CA7D-00A8-48CA-9FF4-EC59449B1626.jpeg A5113DA0-EA1B-47DF-9C23-69F2F551AC62.jpeg
An irritating thing about the loft is the cross supporting beam roughly 2/3 of the way along the loft. You can see it suporting the Particle Board before that was put in place yesterday, not a lot I can do about the beam and it is a little tight for a shortie like me to get across so a big step may be made below it to assist moving round the loft with comfort.

Hm for some reason this image will not post, oh yes it did as a thumbnail twice!

Attachments

• 9F8FBB9A-DF3D-4647-A799-B9CC9329C746.jpeg
    9F8FBB9A-DF3D-4647-A799-B9CC9329C746.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 0
  • B5A55C23-A3E5-4C7E-83CE-9285FA39D1E2.jpeg
    B5A55C23-A3E5-4C7E-83CE-9285FA39D1E2.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Looks like you will have fun when it is completed Jon. I don't think you really need all those red boxes - they are only hindering your progress. Just say the word and I'll pop over and take them out of your way. It doesn't matter that they are not empty and I'll do it for free - that will save you having to pay the house clearance people. :grinning: :grinning::grinning::grinning:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
I'll push the wheel barrow, if you like, Mike? :)

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
I can't decide if leaving the price tags on the red boxes, is bravery, or stupidity. :angel:

Portsladepete

Registered
2 Jun 2020
England
Looks like you will have fun when it is completed Jon. I don't think you really need all those red boxes - they are only hindering your progress. Just say the word and I'll pop over and take them out of your way. It doesn't matter that they are not empty and I'll do it for free - that will save you having to pay the house clearance people. :grinning: :grinning::grinning::grinning:
That’s really spooky, studying the layout to be, I instantly thought those boxes are hindering progress:nod:. However to help Mike, I’ll take the contents, make moving the boxes much easier!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
If the boxes and contents go, it hardly seems worthwhile having a loft. I'll give you a tenner for it.

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
A drawing is possibly worth a thousand words so here is a rough plan of what I am hoping to achieve. Note the area to the left and right will all be R1 track. I am possibly in need if some R1 curves and a couple of R1 points for all this, but something may still emerge from some boxes. The long straight Station areas shown will all be Peco that I have been buying from sundry adds in here. I think I will have more then enough Peco for this. The interface between Peco and LGB track will all be done using Peco Fishplates in their Insulated form. As I like to have some sections on my layout this will create 4 distinct sections that will be fed at each end with jumpers to the sundry sidings all hidden in troughs utilising Electrical Trunking with removable tops. This works fine also for the Air lines to the sundry points.

My method or wiring is decried in parts of the USA but it works reliably for me but defeats the notion that DCC needs only 2 wires, a load of bunkum dreamed up by some wiley supplier of DCC kit in the early days no doubt. There I have had my little rant about DCC wiring and feel much better for it!

One of my other issues is Mains to the loft, there is a lighting circuit but this is not suitable in spite of the fact that I did indeed use this for my very first loft conversion back in the 70’s, though this caused no issues I am older and wiser now. There is in the loo in my Bedroom a point where the water heater for the sink was used. As this was removed (I am a yorkshire man and made of stern stuff, no weak livered hot water for washing my hands at night) I wanted to utilise this and did in fact try to get a hole from the loo to the loft whilst doing the insulation in there. However in spite of a very long drill nothing appeared in the loft. I think the false ceiling in the loo had something to do with it. I think that I must have another go as using a trailing lead to the downstairs plugs will be an irritation.

E0918971-CE8B-4CBF-BF86-5C186C96165C.jpeg
Looking at the track plan one may wonder what the loop to the left is for. Well this is a Timetable thing, to enable some time between trains arriving at each station this will be used a Train Delay in fact doubling as a long section between the Stations with perhaps another (imagined) Station in between thus adding more interest to Operating Schedules. I think this loop will likely be hidden away from view with a CCTV Camera to watch what is occuring when trains are arriving or departing. The fiddle to the right will be disguised from the Stations by suitably placed buildings thus hopefully loosing the sight of those R1 curves. I am planning to make all the Buildings out of Corrugated Cardboard, utilising hopefully many of the boxes that will be emptied during the loft sort out. The shells will thus be fitted with nice fronts and sides to disguise this utilising nice flat thin card. Probably from the stuff that our shopping is hidden in. This the buildings should be a momento to recycling.

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Not much to report on building works but a good move forwards in sorting out stuff. I have finally got all of my G bits of stuff left over from sundry projects by myself and Andy Rush. In the process I found a complete Stainz and a dismantled one. I did know I had them it has to be said. What I did not remember having was an old 3 pin Stainz Chassis with a set of wheels with no traction tires, oh joy of joys what a find. Now that will become something really useful one day soon. I also managed to get the wagon bits sorted out and look at this possibility below:-
55F5085D-071C-4E6F-91B4-6543515823C2.jpeg
An LGB Toy Train Tank married to a USA Bogie from an Open or Shorty Caboose with the Caboose ends. Now this has real possibilities.
4725CC58-FA03-4327-83BC-E275CB74B280.jpeg
The top image was from earlier today, by the end of today this was the view looking the same way with lots of sorted out boxes and quite a few Cardboard boxes cut up for use as buildings later. Below are some of the Plastic boxes awaiting filling. Oh and the pictures pinned to the shelves are my Belgium SNCV inspiration and of an RHB Tank Wagon that will work as detail for that Yellow one when the round to it kicks in. C246EF02-A693-45D4-9532-E81ABB34A6D8.jpeg 2B731AEA-45EE-4813-8CD9-ADCFD1FBEDE8.jpeg
Finally looking the other way, it may not look much but at least I can now get in to access what needs to be done and more importantly do it. 4A58F6D0-DEF2-4553-A257-78DF7D2B9581.jpeg
Once some of that stuff is moved and sorted into order I will then be able to re-file all the empty LGB and other Train Boxes of stock that is out on the line. Empty boxes do take up a lot of space in G. I may then even be able to think about sorting out what is to be outed and how I may do that. Vultures start your saving!

Attachments

• 2C759E37-D90C-4896-93BF-BCE9659AEAA2.jpeg
    2C759E37-D90C-4896-93BF-BCE9659AEAA2.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
Have made a good start on the other end of the loft today but to start with I needed to do as all building projects need to do, move the carp around. The main start at that was to move all of the empty boxes that are not LGB boxes to under the eaves at the opposite end and side of the loft. This involved moving out the plastic boxes that had been so carefully placed in that location. Still that job done the other end of the loft started to look somewhat emptier as I moved LGB boxes into the space created from those non LGB boxes. Hm lots of shuffling about. Hm shaky image but I think it shows some space.
0D386066-AE58-4B02-A2E1-1A6ABD7C6CDB.jpeg
Then I could start on the baseboard for this end, utilising some old kitchen worktop that had been on the right. It makes for a bit of an up and down Railway so some packing will be required to Track when laid to make things nice. Price you pay for being a tight wad. That remaining board will be filled in with the left over flooring as will the middle then it will be some more shelves supported on the uprights as I do not fancy drilling into the Chimney Breast's, those cracks will need to be looked at so I will be getting my neighbour to have a look at them. Those cracks have been present since I moved in so I suspect they are early movement that is nothing to worry about so a gentle bit of pointing will I expect sort things. Meanwhile just 2 of the 3 supports have been created.
75F4A651-1DD2-4230-A430-EB8ED7406DEF.jpeg

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Have made a good start on the other end of the loft today but to start with I needed to do as all building projects need to do, move the carp around. The main start at that was to move all of the empty boxes that are not LGB boxes to under the eaves at the opposite end and side of the loft. This involved moving out the plastic boxes that had been so carefully placed in that location. Still that job done the other end of the loft started to look somewhat emptier as I moved LGB boxes into the space created from those non LGB boxes. Hm lots of shuffling about. Hm shaky image but I think it shows some space.
View attachment 276158
Then I could start on the baseboard for this end, utilising some old kitchen worktop that had been on the right. It makes for a bit of an up and down Railway so some packing will be required to Track when laid to make things nice. Price you pay for being a tight wad. That remaining board will be filled in with the left over flooring as will the middle then it will be some more shelves supported on the uprights as I do not fancy drilling into the Chimney Breast's, those cracks will need to be looked at so I will be getting my neighbour to have a look at them. Those cracks have been present since I moved in so I suspect they are early movement that is nothing to worry about so a gentle bit of pointing will I expect sort things. Meanwhile just 2 of the 3 supports have been created.
View attachment 276157
A hunch, the cracks look like they may be from when the chimney flue was in use
If a previous owner burned wood or didn’t get the flues regularly swept, the conditions that lead to chimney fires could be experienced
In other words the build up of carbon deposits on the inside of the flue would get very hot and cause expansion of the brickwork
This may well have led to cracks occurring
It’d be important not to use the fire place that is served by this flue as the crack might not only let fumes in the loft, but also the risk of fire and all that lovely train stuff going up in smoke
Sorry if this is a ramble
I used to survey houses as part of earning a crust
Chris

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
A hunch, the cracks look like they may be from when the chimney flue was in use
If a previous owner burned wood or didn’t get the flues regularly swept, the conditions that lead to chimney fires could be experienced
In other words the build up of carbon deposits on the inside of the flue would get very hot and cause expansion of the brickwork
This may well have led to cracks occurring
It’d be important not to use the fire place that is served by this flue as the crack might not only let fumes in the loft, but also the risk of fire and all that lovely train stuff going up in smoke
Sorry if this is a ramble
I used to survey houses as part of earning a crust
Chris
Thanks Chriss, I had my next door neighbour to have a look at it today. We both were concerned about the fire risk and indeed I have never used any of the 3 open fireplaces since I moved in 2012. At that time I had a log burner fitted to the rear sitting room that is in a newer extension and not connected to the fireplaces in any way. There are certainly traces of smoke penetration around the loft so I guess that the previous owners were lucky that the house did not go up in flames. I will be doing some grouting to the joints and am happy to note that the bricks go in to just over 1.5 worth before the next brest with no signs of broken bricks or further mortar cracks. I will certainly not be hammering away any of the old mortar during grouting or drilling into the brest for supports if my baseboards. The joys of an old 1920’s house!

HowardSue

Registered
7 Nov 2020
La Pine Oregon USA
I have previously posted a couple of pics in the daily roundup but as this is going to be a full blown layout, well that is unless I change my mind amd set up my previously built 0 Gauge Exhibition Layout it will be. That sits under the boards to the side of the loft in Cardboard Boxes that were specially made by me to transport it to shows.

The space I have is roughly 15’ x 8’ so not a lot of space but enough for a modest French/Belgium Secondary Railway. The basics is that it will be a Coal and Log Hauling Railway with Passengers a very poor second or third actually. I did a year or three back do the shelves at either side with the view to using the space as a sort out location for the sundry boxes that are in the loft. Thus giving me known stuff to get rid of. However the build of the Garden Railway plus Operating it and not liking to leave Barney for too long has got in the way of all that. But process has had to be made. If for no other reason than there is no place to put anything now! Thus we come to the pictures, the first few have already been shown but I have reposted them here as a record of this build or perhaps Foley as some would call it.

Looking at the North End of the House that is not attached the work to create some insulation with 25mm Celtex is under way. I used Wicks 25mm Battens and placed the 600mm widths of Celtex between them. A dab or two of No Nails holds the Celtex to the wall but as I move on ensuring that the next batten is good and tight keeps it in place. I also put Shelf Uprights onto the Battens and these are Rawplugged into the wall with 100mm screws. As I got to the area where there are no shelf brackets I just used 70mm screws as the wood is all that is being held up with the Insulation between. Not a very pretty look, but the area will only be a fiddle yard so looks not that important.
View attachment 276062 View attachment 276063
Below you can see the loft hatch with the safety rail going round 3 sides, the plank closest is put in place once I am in the loft. Not a lean on job but enough to act as a stop when you touch it job.
View attachment 276064
Having got the end fully insulated it was time to join the 2 baseboards together with another one. I liberated a nice long length or Particle Board from a Skip and it was maneuvered into the loft for just this job. It did not fill the complete gap but as there was some left over small loft flooring in the loft when I moved in, 2 lengths of this have been used to complete the board at this end. The rest will be pressed into service at the other end of the loft by the Chimney Brest which adjoins next doors loft. Below can be seen the boards completed and a quick look at what can be done for a Fiddle Yard this end, it will be used as 2 yards to represent each end of the line, with just 1 Track joined, not that I run continuous that often but I may just now and again, plus it will be handy having the full loop for the LGB Track Cleaner to do its job. Note that I am using LGB R1 for the Fiddle, this line will be traversed by LGB Steam Trams, Trams with no Pans acting as Autorails and LGB Toy Train Wagons of which I have a couple of boxes of, more than enough for this line. Peco will be used in the visible Stations. Oh yes this will be a Track Powered line, one may think with all of my Battery talk that I am against Track Power, far from it DCC has its place but not in my big garden. Thus the Massoth DCC and RC will be used on this line. Point Operation will again be by Air so another small Compressor will need to be sourced plus perhaps a few more Levers and Air Switches though I do still have a few in stock from the demolished Ruschbahn line. Oh yes Andy pressed me to do the security Rail when I moved in on the basis that he was keen for me to do some kind of Loft Railway. Only taken me 8 years to get round to it seriously.
View attachment 276066
View attachment 276069
Just to complete this first post a few pics of the other end that is the shambles to sort out before more progress can be made. That newly completed board WILL be a sorting ground not a dumping ground moving forwards.
View attachment 276067 View attachment 276068
An irritating thing about the loft is the cross supporting beam roughly 2/3 of the way along the loft. You can see it suporting the Particle Board before that was put in place yesterday, not a lot I can do about the beam and it is a little tight for a shortie like me to get across so a big step may be made below it to assist moving round the loft with comfort.

Hm for some reason this image will not post, oh yes it did as a thumbnail twice!
Nice you will enjoy your RR. Here’s ours in La Pine Oregon USA

Attachments

• F1288C6E-E88F-4340-BA1A-74035D6763A2.jpeg
    F1288C6E-E88F-4340-BA1A-74035D6763A2.jpeg
    451.4 KB · Views: 0
  • A58B753F-2D40-441D-A864-E7AC906765EE.jpeg
    A58B753F-2D40-441D-A864-E7AC906765EE.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 0

dunnyrail

25 Oct 2009
No update yesterday but work had been ongoing. Plus of course today as well. Most of the boards are now in plus shelves and a good bit of sorting out done but the amount of empty plastic boxes is amazing. I know a lot were in my old loft at Hemel with stuff that has been used on this line but I still need to think about emptying some cardboard boxes, though some of them have interesting Railway Paperwork and are Banana Boxes that stack nicely and have handholds for moving around so bit of a conundrum really. However with the sundry work done I think I can clear the boards with space below after a little more shuffling around so all is not lost. Plus empty boxes do fit in empty boxes if they are smaller!

Below is the chimney end still needing something of a tidy up, but as the construction work is almost completed the tools will make the shelf space available for boxes.
2C2B066A-3D14-4F79-BA2F-74BF0C178E4B.jpeg
Below is the other side from that seen above with a bit of space made to see how track will fit. The LGB R1‘s and point are upside down to see how my proposed loop will fit in. The Peco points will be a a little more towards the right of the loco as that siding to the left of it will be on a slight downwards grade as it will be a siding for empty opens for the Mine. But at least I can get 3 roads in for the Station though it will not be very scenic!
09D59E67-B477-4EA1-ACA9-25D0A4D401DF.jpeg
Below is the other end turned back into a shambles while I move stuff around. Note the Chain for the safety rail on the hatch. I found that once the box was out of the way that it sat on when the loft was closed it fell down flat and got forgotten. Now it is in my face when I go up the loft so I put it in place with nay a thought.
F0DDD1FA-8CC5-4DE8-888D-CD2CD3A824F2.jpeg
The other side showing some of the sorting out to do.
9B4067BF-EDBF-40F6-A43E-FCFD1FFC276F.jpeg
And below the stack of surplus trains to be moved on! You see some 8-12 years worth of purchases that are now regretted. Many never even having seen the light of day since bought! The double boxes are a couple of Tram Pairs (I think) though 1 may be a twin Railcar! Oh actually that is not the lot, I was sorting out a couple of Coach boxes to go in the stack and got sidetracked! The. There are the 2 Piko Railcar Trailer Cars, another why the heck did I purchase from the G Mad days.
60D2990E-6D75-47FE-8449-64224EAC5033.jpeg

Last edited:

Harry

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Is it just me, or is this post corrupted in some way ?

The pictures appear to overlap the text, the adverts are interspersed at random locations and there is nothing after the first 7 pictures in Post #1 except blank space.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Is it just me, or is this post corrupted in some way ?

The pictures appear to overlap the text, the adverts are interspersed at random locations and there is nothing after the first 7 pictures in Post #1 except blank space.
Seems fine to me