Locomotive test rollers ..

• Thread starter darkdaniel100
  • Start date
darkdaniel100

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Hello folks , I have been looking at getting some test rollers so I can play around with my locomotives without needing large amounts of track out .....

First question is ... would I need a roller per locomotive wheel? For my mallet one per wheel would turn out very expensive!!

My second question is ..Any recommendations or suggestions?

Thank you for your time!

Dan

whatlep

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
darkdaniel100 - 5/12/2009 5:07 PM
(snip)
First question is ... would I need a roller per locomotive wheel? For my mallet one per wheel would turn out very expensive!!
My second question is ..Any recommendations or suggestions?
(snip)
Hi Dan.
1) Ideally yes, one per axle, but I cheat and use four rollers with my Mallet, though only briefly to avoid too much stress on the chassis.
2) I use Aristocraft: £42.75 for four axles' worth from Dragon G Scale (before GSC 5% discount). Not the freeest rolling I've seen, but they do the job.

Good luck!

peterbunce

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
<p><font size="3">Hi,</font></p><p><font size="3">I have a set of Bachrus (they are Canadian) rollers. </font></p><p><font size="3"> They are very good, you ask 'do you need one per axle' - that depends, in a perfect world yes, because then they are all at the same level, however if you have some blind drivers you could make, from scrap polystyrene packing pieces, some blocks to sit under those blind drivers and also under the truck or bogie wheels as well. </font></p><p><font size="3">Those that do not move when it is running, on a set of rollers, can be done like this.</font></p><p><font size="3">Make the blocks to slot down between the rails to stay in position, and make surev that they do support the loco, it is possible otherwise to have the (multiple) axles getting out of phase and the result of that can be bent coupling rods! </font></p><p><font size="3">The rollers are also responsible for current collection so a number are needed, and if the mallett is a twin motored one both sets will need them for that purpose. </font></p><p><font size="3">The tender, if it does not have current collection duties can have a long block of polystyrene just as a support.</font></p><p><font size="3">Yours Peter.</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p>

Steve

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
Staff member
GSC Moderator
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Whatlep,

I have a cunning plan , we both need two extra sets for the Mallets ect , recon thats around £20.00 for me and £22.75 for you :rofl:

It was my idea

whatlep

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Steve - 5/12/2009 5:40 PM

Whatlep,

I have a cunning plan , we both need two extra sets for the Mallets ect , recon thats around £20.00 for me and £22.75 for you :rofl:

It was my idea
Sounds like a plan (less 5% GSC discount of course!). Postage on you I guess! :D
Or you could just sell me your Mallet........ :eek:

Joking aside, it's not a bad idea. PM me if you want to pursue.

Steve

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
Staff member
GSC Moderator
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Its a cross i have the bare Monkey :D