Lipo batteries for powering RC shay

P

paul delany

Registered
30 Mar 2018
Dublin Ireland
Hi folks has. Anyone managed to use a lipo batterie for powering a g scale loco,I was planning to tow one in a water tanker to power my shay with rc..

Last edited:
PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
Yes.
Though I would not use a 'polymer' battery..
You can get Lithium batteries in either a 'can' (look like a standard cell) or a 'plastic bag' (a true polymer battery).
Obviously, a standard cell is more robust than the softer, flexible type.

If this is your first-time with Lithium-based batteries:
Buy a made-up pack, with protection.
Buy batteries, and charger, from the same supplier. - Ask the question about the two being compatible with each other.

Never take a battery pack apart, and do make sure you do not over-discharge them (one reason for getting a protected pack).

Lithium 'cells' give a nominal 3.77V per cell, so you will only need 3-4 of these for your Shay.
They also have a higher charge-density than NiMH cells, so you can get more out of them.

PhilP.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Hi folks has. Anyone managed to use a lipo batterie for powering a g scale loco,I was planning to tow one in a water tanker to power my shay with rc..
Yes, I've used the Ansmann Lith-Ion packs (with built-in protection boards for safety) in both of my wireless-DCC loco conversions - in both cases 14.8volt packs, a 4S2P (8 cell) 5.2 Amp/hour pack in the 2095 BoBo, and a smaller 4S1P (4 cell) 2.6 Ah pack in the Saxon IVk:

Battery packs (and charger) purchased from Rapid, though they are available from other suppliers such as CPC Farnell.

Jon.

Zerogee

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Phil posted just as I was typing mine, agree with all that he has said. A decent quality industrial Lith-Ion battery pack with internal protection and a matching charger is, in my opinion, the way to go.

Lithium Batteries | Rapid Online
then choose "Ansmann" in the "brand" menu.

Jon.

ge_rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
I suppose it depends on how confident you feel with a soldering iron and having a working knowledge of basic electronics. I've been soldering together my own li-ion packs for around five years now. I always include a protection board and a balance charge socket. I tend to use 18650 can type cells as they are the most prevalent but I buy them from a reputable supplier such as Ecolux. They can be bought more cheaply on eBay, but I have found it's a false economy.

Rik
PS A bit more info on my blog - Getting started with battery power and radio control

Last edited: